The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is the best chair suspension (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The man (second photo) weights over 200 pounds. The fabric will not even fit fully around him.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I'll definitely 2nd Kyle's Chair Suspension e-book for any performer who uses this effect or is thinking of purchasing one. It covers every detail about it and is written by someone who's performed it nearly 1,000 times (or more!).

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have been doing it for about 18 years. I was not interested in his e-book at first. After I received my new chair suspension, I did ordered Kyle's e-book.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
This bend wount happen in bill smith version , also the one you have is not bad at all
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Dynamike,

Nice Harbin chair suspension.
Your chair suspension is great! It is probably equal in quality to Bill Smith's. I think yours was made by Gunther Puchinger of the cube zag fame. In any `case yours is hands done in the pro quality league. Great Purchase!! Congrats!!

Two hundred plus pounds is extremely heavy and there really is no downward curve. I feel it is better to keep the person at about 125(a women).It is easier to adjust person so their position is correct.

I have a Bill Sith custom model that has a weight limit of 125lbs but it is heavy twice as heavy as the Mak and Smmers models and it is also in a ATA case which makes it even heavier.

All chair suspensions that carry heavy weight the gimmick is usually steel and the chairs are heavier. Also if you put something up their heaier than load amount it will bend if it is steel or break if something else(MAK,Summers models).

Don
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I hear Bill Smiths is really good from speaking to Cruise ship workers Iknow
and having seen a really solid Harbin version built exactly from his plans-
It doesn't move at all with a full weight adult

My Vote-Harbin

Cheers

Brent
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I am still byest to bill smith version , I have seen all and yes bill s is the heviest and you need to be fit and strong to work with it it is bilt for an adult and is verry practical and elegant , the chairs look like simple ordenary chairs while they are made from scrtch for the illusion .
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Where do you find the Bill Smith version?
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-03-05 02:44, BAGWIZ wrote:
Where do you find the Bill Smith version?

http://www.magicventures.com/
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
196 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Is the Abbott Chair Suspension built the same as a Jack Hughes Chair Suspension ?
Sparda
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Sparda
Where can one purchase the Sommers version?
Thanks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had a Harbin made by John Gaughan, but had to sell it to raise money thanks to a divorce. It was fantastic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I'm interested in the Mickey Hades rising levitation, I don't want to try building it myself from the Osborn plan.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
Anyone have any opinions on the Zuban Wladimir version?
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
The Wladimir chair suspension looks amazing. Performance wise, it is very impressive.

The house of enchantment chair suspension also looks very solid.

I would be interested in opinions on how these rank as well.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2019, TomB wrote:

The house of enchantment chair suspension also looks very solid.

I would be interested in opinions on how these rank as well.

Hi TomB -

The Chair Suspension from House of Enchantment is mentioned on many threads, with positive reviews. However, to find those posts, most of the time people say "Jay Leslie" instead of "House of Enchantment". So, try searching with Jay's name as the keyword in areas like "Grand Illusion" or "The Little Darlings".

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thank you. I’m still alive and making them by request.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
A lot of good suggestions above about the model of chair suspension to purchase, Jay Leslie's or Bill Smith's , both have a solid reputation. But if anyone is researching this illusion I'd suggest going back to the source to study the presentation of Robert Harbin (same with Zig-Zag).

The other one I'd look at is Penn & Teller's presentation.

In both Harbin's and P & T's presentation there is real dramatic tension created around the moment when the board is removed and the person is suspended , the repeated admonitions to the person to "hold it ... hold it..." give it a slight feeling of danger ... and that special "moment" does not linger very long , it is over very quickly, so no one is given a chance to dwell on it. It's a more dynamic and mysterious way of presenting this effect, imo.

Harbin, starting around the 19:44 mark - to - 22:23 in this video:

https://youtu.be/6n862JxiN0k?t=1184

Penn & Teller at the 7:07 mark here:

https://youtu.be/StZYM30QJ88?t=427

thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What a great find! I didn’t know there was video of Harbin performing the chair suspension. He had a better presentation written for it in his book.. but I’m guessing this was modified a bit for tv.

Penn & Teller are masters with it. I’ve seen it live and it’s just soooo good.

It’s amazing... Penn & Teller are one of the highest paid acts in magic and when you go to their show in Vegas you see...
Chair Suspension, Linking Rings, Chinese Sticks, Egg Bag.... it’s not about the tricks! It’s all about the presentation!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2020, thomasR wrote:
What a great find! I didn’t know there was video of Harbin performing the chair suspension. He had a better presentation written for it in his book.. but I’m guessing this was modified a bit for tv.

Here is another performance by Robert Harbin, much later in his career :

https://youtu.be/F8Y0wPzh0_8?t=103

Chair suspension starting around 1:45 mark - to - 5:36

--
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is the best chair suspension (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL