The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Houchin Art of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Wayne Houchin’s Art of Magic is a groundbreaking instructional DVD on classic and contemporary magic tricks. This 120 minute - performance and instructional DVD features a unique look at the current state of magic. Including interviews with David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan and Dave Buck and (of course) Wayne Houchin. The interviews are combined with live performance footage of WH performing both on the street and at The Magic Castle - from South Beach, Miami to Hollywood, California.

WHAT'S ON THE DVD?

- A 60 minute documentary on the Art of Magic featuring David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan & Dave, and WH.

- An in-depth 60 minute teaching session during which Wayne Houchin explains how to perform 5 of the effects that were featured in the documentary. You will learn:

TWISTING THE ACES - Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's classic effect. The four aces magically turn face up one at a time. Clean, beautiful, and amazing.

FRENCH KISS - You ask someone to sign a playing card - the card is then folded up and placed in your spectator’s mouth. You take and sign another card - which you then fold up and place in your mouth. Impossibly, the 2 folded up cards switch places. Your signed signed card is in the spectator’s mouth and her card is in yours. Simple and powerful.

WH RING+STRING MYSTERY - A piece of string visually penetrates through a borrowed ring. New, unique, practical, and FUN.

MATCH BITE - A lit match is extinguished on your tongue. The magician then bites off the burnt end, chews it up, and spits it back onto the match. Impromptu and uses only one match.

CARBON PAPER - An incredibly powerful effect contributed to AOM by Jay Sankey. The back of a playing card is burned - your spectator FEELS the burn from that card travel through their hand and end up on a signed card that has been between their hands for the entire effect... leaving the originally burnt card completely unharmed. Performed and taught by Wayne Houchin.

The documentary and instructional portions of this DVD attempt to capture a modern look at the Art of Magic through personal anecdotes, advice, and live performance. The interviews touch on everything from the presentation of magic to advice for beginners, and why magician's fail. The effects taught are practical and suitable for both beginners and the intermediate student. Welcome to Art Of Magic
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
The June issue is featuring Wayne Houchin.

By the way these 3 effects on the DVd are fully explained in the last issue of GENII magazine ( June 2009 ) on pages 61 to 71 with many pictures:

-TWISTING THE ACES - Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's classic effect. The four aces magically turn face up one at a time. Clean, beautiful, and amazing.

-WH RING+STRING MYSTERY - A piece of string visually penetrates through a borrowed ring. New, unique, practical, and FUN.

-MATCH BITE - A lit match is extinguished on your tongue. The magician then bites off the burnt end, chews it up, and spits it back onto the match. Impromptu and uses only one match.
Redsixer
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Redsixer
I wish the effect with the candy vending machine would have been explained. I understand that someone else has a similar effect, so he did not include this.
Does anyone know if this effect is published anywhere?
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Why would you want to spend money ($35.00) on a DVD that 3/5 (60%) of the effects are found in a Genii magazine for $6.00???

Plus you get a well-written Interview of Wayne in that magazine as a BONUS.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Redsixer,

Oliver Meech has a similar routine in his book, The Plot Thickens. It is a great book, I recommend you check it out.

Nico
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Salby, the reason I am spending the $35 is to hear wayne go into detail about each effect and to see his performance. Personally I'm putting wayne in my fav 5 so it's worth it for me to hear him speak to each effect. In addition to the tricks you get the doc. so it seems like a lot more value then 3 tricks in $6.00 magazine.
P3
practice practice perform.
kelt76
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of kelt76
It is so much better to watch a trick explained in a DVD than a book.

Quote:
On 2009-06-13 11:44, Salby wrote:
Why would you want to spend money ($35.00) on a DVD that 3/5 (60%) of the effects are found in a Genii magazine for $6.00???

Plus you get a well-written Interview of Wayne in that magazine as a BONUS.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Ooh. Uh, hope you enjoy that can of worms you just opened, Kelt. Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Redsixer
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Redsixer
Nico, thanks for the info. I will check it out.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Nico, I recomend you check it out Smile Amazing book!
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
I hope Houchin's Art of Magic DVD includes "real time real life" footage and spectators, respectively. Editing footage of a performance because of challenging spectators causes me to wish I could see how professionals handle difficult situations / spectators.

Has anyone seen this DVD?
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
He performs every effect in front of spectators. Good dvd overall.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Thanks wpt1031 . . . ordered mine and its on the way.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 14:16, ted french wrote:
Salby, the reason I am spending the $35 is to hear wayne go into detail about each effect and to see his performance. Personally I'm putting wayne in my fav 5 so it's worth it for me to hear him speak to each effect. In addition to the tricks you get the doc. so it seems like a lot more value then 3 tricks in $6.00 magazine.

Amen to that.

Wayne's dvd is a popular success!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
There is a review in the Magic Magazine this month. I totally agree with what it says. Check it out.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
If Randal is in it, I'll buy it! Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
W:H
View Profile
V.I.P.
222 Posts

Profile of W:H
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 22:30, Gospel Dan wrote:
If Randal is in it, I'll buy it! Smile

Sorry Dan - Randal isn't in this one Smile

WH
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 22:22, Rpascual wrote:
There is a review in the Magic Magazine this month. I totally agree with what it says. Check it out.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I did French Kiss twice so far and it has gotten one of the best reactions I have ever seen.
This is going to be in my routine for a long time.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 10:27, slyhand wrote:
I did French Kiss twice so far and it has gotten one of the best reactions I have ever seen.
This is going to be in my routine for a long time.

I agree with you there. I've used it in all my walk around gigs the last two weeks and it's been one of the favorites.

While it's Sankey's and not Wayne's Carbon Paper has been a good worker for me as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Houchin Art of Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL