The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Balloon Swallowing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Oh, now I understand. So I am not going to let my child watch anyone cross a street because my child might do it and get hit by a car. I am not going to let my child go somewhere with me when I drive because my child might go joy riding and have an accident. I am not going to let my child see me cook because my child might play with fire. I am not going to take my child to a circus because my child might try to walk a tight rope. I am not going let my child watch a western movie because my child might shoot someone with a gun. I am not going to let my child eat solid foods because my child might choke on something. Joe, I don't know how to thank you for your support.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
...oh boy, here we go again....
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mike, Joe Joe was expressing a very legitimate concern about this. You seem like you LOVE being offended when anyone disagrees with you. Just accept his concern and do whatever you're going to anyway.

That seems to be what you do best, troll for comments then offend people that try to help you, then do what you want to anyway. Jeez, what a maroon.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 06:35, dave_matkin wrote:
I have to say I don't agree with you 100% JoeJoe. I think any parent that lets their kid try to swallow a baloon is nuts. I don't think the responsibility lies with a perfomrer.

I agree with you, Dave. If the performer is entertaining a crowd with balloons, the responsibility lies with the parent.

When I hand out balloons to children, the balloon is inflated. A kid can not swallow a balloon that is inflated. A kid's mouth is not big enough. If a kid's balloon pops, it is the parent's responsibility to take it away so the kid will not put it in their mouth.

Now if any one still agrees that entertainment with balloon are still dangerous, think about Joe's sword thru chest. He is not mentioning "Don't try it" every second. A kid can walk up to Joe after the last time Joe said "Don't try this." The kid missed the line. The 3 year old might try stabbing his infant brother with a sword in the chest at home from watching Joe whether he heard Joe mentioned the line or not.

To be honest with you, my opinion is entertainment with balloons, swords, knives, fire, etc can be done as long as it is done properly.
Quote:
On 2009-05-14 09:05, Paddy wrote:
Mike, Joe Joe was expressing a very legitimate concern about this. You seem like you LOVE being offended when anyone disagrees with you. Just accept his concern and do whatever you're going to anyway.

That seems to be what you do best, troll for comments then offend people that try to help you, then do what you want to anyway. Jeez, what a maroon.

I like turtles.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I remember when this place used to be nice...

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I see no problem with members expressing their opinions. But when a member tries to runs another member's life is what I an concerned about.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 16:19, gsidhe wrote:
Fortunately for me, I work a partner show.
She swallows the balloon while I talk.
At least until I realize that no one is paying any attention to me.
I can't compete with a cute girl swallowing a balloon.
It does draw a crowd, but I don't think it would work as well if it was me doing it.
Gwyd

The best balloon swallows I have ever seen are done in tandem like this. It is best of both worlds. Great spectacle, and some great lines to go with it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 16:00, Frank Starsini wrote:
I've used it as an attention getter at a live auction to music but the street is different.

at an auction? Hmm.. I am an auctioneer... Could you give me a little more details?
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I don't see anywhere that you mentioned handing out balloons to the kids afterwards Mike. If you did the balloon swallow and then didn't hand out balloons, I'd say it's generally ok unles you were actually at a little kids birthday party or something. On the street, I'd say it's fine. I think combined with giving out balloons it would be a very bad idea. Sure, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure their child keeps the balloon out of their mouth, but if a child choked to death on a balloon you gave him, after doing the balloon swallow in front of him, it wouldn't matter much whose responsibility it was. The kid would still be dead. As horrible as that would be in itself, I figure you could get sued too. In any case, you didn't mention doing that.. but I wouldn't combine the two things. I don't put it in my mouth to make the poodle tail either. Kids put balloons in their mouths readily enough without my encouraging it, so I just don't. I do the 'blow on it like it's a birthday candle" thing, I think I got it from a Dewey book. It's a good little bit. I've been twisting balloons since the early 70's. That would surprise you if you ever saw one of my balloon sculptures since they're not fancy or particularly good. Honestly, as long as I've done them, I've always kind of worried about the choking hazard and have thought about taking them out of my act, but.. money, you know.. I'd lose gigs if I didn't do them. I'm a balloon *** I guess.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Oh look, it edited out a word I wouldn't have thought of as obscene, vulgar maybe.
In the above sentence *** means "prostitute".. in case you were wondering.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Break it down: prost it ute. t*t.
The presentation makes the magic.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
"I'm just a balloon hare."

Does that work for you? Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 00:07, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I don't see anywhere that you mentioned handing out balloons to the kids afterwards Mike.

You are right, I never mentioned it. Someone is trying to throw everybody off track in this thread.

I will experiment with the method in different ways and let you know how it comes out.

Thanks for your opinions guys.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quit trying to twist my words again Mike ... I have said from my very first post on this thread ... *IF* you intend to give children balloon animals, you should avoid swallowing them like the plague!

Quote:
On 2009-05-08 17:46, JoeJoe wrote:
If you intend to give children balloon animals, you should avoid swallowing them like the plague!

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I would avoid the balloon swallow in the presance of children, as well as razor blade swallowing and fire eating, needle through arm, and stabbing myself in the chest with a sword and a whole bunch of other things.

While some of these effects you can pass off as having trained yourself and such, others are just waiting for some kid to attempt them at home. Look at how many warnings the Wrestling companies put out there and it does not stop the kids from trying it.

It is not about what they do in your presance, rather what they think they can do when they get home. Kids are kids and some are not supervised as well as they should be.

As indicated with the first word of this post, these are personal opinions and are not meant to subject any other performer to my standards. I would not want to get home and find out that some kid went home, and did something to hurt themself based on what they saw me do.

While I would never outright admonish those who do these things, it is simply not something I would do.

As just a random balloon swallow thought, again I think PERSONALLY that half the deal with it is as was hinted at the sexual nature of it. This aspect SHOULD be lost on mos kids.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
I think Joe Joe's message of warning comes down to this:
You can do what you want in your show, but there are some things that INVITE Lawyers and nobody likes to deal with Lawyers and depositions and having to drive downtown to Lawyer's offices over and over and over EVEN if you have the right to perform a balloon swallow and then give them an animal balloon.

The set of circumstances from the Nany state and the time involved with Lawyers is enough to back away from those things that might cause that. Even if you win, you have to hire a Lawyer to represent you.

It's tricky.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
So that children won't copy a routine I am working on, I'm currently working on adapting a rope thorough neck version to see if I can do it around the stomach. It's more awkward, and I think I might have to have a couple of hooks on my belt, or similar, to hold the rope up in place while I'm doing the twists over the head. I'd be very sorry if I inspired a child to copy a rope around the neck trick and have it go wrong.
The presentation makes the magic.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 17:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Balloons are already the #1 non-food choking hazard for children, there is simply no need to kill children to draw a crowd

-JoeJoe

Do you think it might be OK to kill a teenager in order to draw a crowd?
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
I have had crounds that would have liked a smart mouthed, know it all teenager killed.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I seem to recall Brother Paul West mentioning during a lecture that he did, or used to do, the balloon swallowing in his street work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Balloon Swallowing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL