The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Identity (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Christ Almighty, give it a freaking break already!
I didn't even get mine yet but some of this is really getting sickening! We're talking about a lousy $27.00 here and not $100.00 for heavens sake aside from the fact that Rich has a good track record and now some of you seem to be pounding him into the ground. Get a freaking life, stop splitting hairs and get over it already. Smile Smile Smile

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
[quote]On 2009-07-04 17:21, Simon Bakker wrote:
[quote]On 2009-07-04 16:56, Voldemort wrote:
Quote:
Discussing how you feel about your purchase is one thing, But trying to defame someones character by calling them a cheat and a liar is quite another. I'd like to see what any of you would say to Richards face.

It didn't want to waste anymore energy on this, but since you are accusing me of calling Richard Sanders, who I respect deeply, a cheat and a liar I guess I have to.

WTF are you talking about!? Please read my posts before you say this incorrect nonsense. NEVER have I said anything like this! And neither have the other gentleman. Everyone just gave their opinion and their valid arguments (negative or or positive)! You are the one who dismisses arguments ase nonsense, just because they aren't the view of the majority.

Sorry Simon,

I was just quoting that one line of yours. I didn't mean for it to seem like I was saying this about you.

That being said, Yes in fact, That is what the other "Gentlemen" are saying. I suggest that YOU go back and read some of the previous posts made.

Dismissing arguments? On the contrary sir, I don't believe that I would be posting about the reprehensible nature of these comments if I were "dismissing" them. But yes, Nonsense describes it best I think.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
I loved Identity. I still love identity. I had never heard of any of the other effects mentioned. Identity actually reminds me of a few Jay Sankey routines. Regardless...Richard has taught a great effect that slams. I have been practicing this and performing this all week. It is awesome. I am not disappointed in the price I paid. I have already clearly outlined what I was disappointed with. Nothing to do with the product. However, the dvd was very lengthy...and the extended version was too much for my taste. I loved the simplicity of the condensed version.

I do have a question. I am going to go back and watch it. I may have over looked it at first. I do not remember seeing the part where Richard teaches the move where he waves over the lines and makes them "disappear". I am not talking about the basic Erd. I am talking about the wave over move he does in the trailer.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
That move is there as an alternative change I believe at the end of the condensed version, it is a nice change. I have had a problem with my DVD, it sometimes skips over some of the "Chapters" it does not do it all the time which is how I figured it out. Are you watching on a computer? If so, check what chapter you are on when watching the condensed version and then make sure it plays the next chapter. I missed some of the alternative changes presented after the maxed out version becuase my computer skipped over them.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1145 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 02:10, johndraws wrote:
I loved Identity. I still love identity. I had never heard of any of the other effects mentioned. Identity actually reminds me of a few Jay Sankey routines. Regardless...Richard has taught a great effect that slams. I have been practicing this and performing this all week. It is awesome. I am not disappointed in the price I paid. I have already clearly outlined what I was disappointed with. Nothing to do with the product. However, the dvd was very lengthy...and the extended version was too much for my taste. I loved the simplicity of the condensed version.

I do have a question. I am going to go back and watch it. I may have over looked it at first. I do not remember seeing the part where Richard teaches the move where he waves over the lines and makes them "disappear". I am not talking about the basic Erd. I am talking about the wave over move he does in the trailer.

Not sure why but if you search for it by Chapters, it stops and goes back to the menu. However, if you select Play All from the Main Menu and then fast forward, Richard teaches the Color Change move at exactly 42 minutes into the DVD.

Hope this Helps
MikeOB
View Profile
Regular user
Doylestown, PA
196 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Thanks Xcath1 and Michael,

I was looking for this change as well. It is a very nice change and is the one I wanted to do when I bought Identity. I am having a lot of fun with this effect. It is becoming one of my favorites. Great Job Richard! I am currently working on the condensed and impromptou versions.

Mike
mrmagik68
View Profile
Elite user
NYC
439 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
I just got this in the mail a few days ago and yesterday I spent quite a bit of time on it. This is great IMO!! I can't wait to do this for lay people. I love the fact that Richard teaches so many different handlings and applications. I particularly like the condensed version for performance without a table.

Even the "impromptu" version is great. The DVD is well done and the instructions are taught very clearly. Judging from the The Richard Sanders Show DVDs and Identity, I don't really care for his comedic lines but there was one line in the Identity DVD that had me in stitches and I must include in my presentation, "Black magic... ...marker", LMAO!!!

This is surely going to be one of my favorite signed card effects for lay people. Thank you Richard for making this effect available to the fraternity! Off to practice I go!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Name: Identity by Richard Sanders
Routine with DVD instructions includes gaff
Arena: Close up, strolling

Identity by Richard Sanders is a card routine where lines are drawn on to the back of a card and a picture is drawn on the front of another card by the spectator. The magician magically makes the lines change position on the card spelling out the name of the spectator who the magician has not previously met and the name is on the spectators card. While other similar routines have come out over the years Identity is flows well as a routine, there are four different versions taught, and technically isn’t difficult to perform. The fact that you leave the card with the spectator is always an extra plus. The gaff card is a common one so should yours become dirty or need replacement it should be no issue to get hold of a new gaff and set it up. The routine would likely be of interest to anyone doing strolling or table magic.

The DVD instructions are very good, Richard is one of the more thorough people out there and he makes sure to cover every aspect from the technical to the psychology of the presentation. He uses a very good camera and while mostly stationary Richard sets the camera up with the best angle for the shot and he uses good lighting and a surface that the card appears well on. I’ve always been impressed with Richard Sanders DVDs and he proves that you can produce something yourself without a crew and still make a quality product. There is plenty of added value to the DVD and I can’t think of anything that needed to be addressed that was not on the DVD.

Is this the best presentation for this theme? Well, I made some changes I think improve it a bit but that is just my opinion but this is a piece of magic people will use, the visual is nice and surprising to the spectator as is your producing their name without them having met you. There is one thing that bothers me, and Richard needs to work on this, he is a card flicker. You know, those irritating people, usually teens, at the magic club who constantly riffle the back of the deck and when they pull out a card they have to flick it? It is a bad habit to get into, Richard does it, and I want to warn anyone watching this DVD to avoid doing the same. There is nothing good that comes from being a card flicker. Congrats to Richard the card flicker on this project, it is a good routine and a very well made DVD.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Elite user
NYC
439 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
That's funny, I didn't notice any excessive flicking on Richard's behalf. This is a great routine that packs a good commercial punch, in my opinion. The effect certainly does open itself to a slew of different presentational ideas. In just the one day I spent with it I made a few changes myself to fit my style. I would whole heartedly recommend this effect. Way to go Richard!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are you kidding? He flicks the freakin' card every time he touches it! Clearly you are another card flicking addict....get help!

One thing I changed that I suggest is w...no....I can't post it here, PM me if you want to know and have the DVD.
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Thank you guys. I will go back and watch it here in a minute and look for it. Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I've not seen the video yet as I've not yet received it (some snafu in shipping) and I whole heatedly agree with those magicians who are undoubtedly very adept with cards and "finger flicking" and showing off to lay people. Although I admire their ability and am envious of it and was never all that good with cards, especially now with my arthritis, I find it a fault to do so.

I'd much rather see a magician perform a card trick without any flourishes while talking and handling the cards. When I see such a thing I simply think; "Ok, this guy is going to pull off anything and I'll never catch it....he is just too good with cards!" To me that is a total turn off and leaves me cold. I think its better to convey that you (the magician) is to simply handle the cards as anyone would but yet.....perform a miracle. I'm not at all sure if I'm conveying my thoughts on this correctly but this is just my honest and simple humble opinion. As said, I greatly admire those magicians who can handle cards with such unseemly dexterity but I think it best to keep it confined to the trick at hand and never convey it to the audience. JMHO Then again, that is a whole other subject and not one to be discussed here.

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
[quote]On 2009-07-02 12:21, JTW wrote:

The Bad- He goes into mind-numbing detail. I understand making something clear but he tends to repeat himself stumbling at times over what I can only assume are meant to be clever asides. The explanations could have been greatly condensed no need to go over something three times.' Show me and if I need to see it again I can simply skip back to the beginning of the sleight and go over it again.'

I must agree with the above. I wish Richard would have added a highly edited teaching version of the effect...so one wouldn't feel the need to hit the FF button to "get on with it".... Just show me the move then on to the next point....I would think it would be easy enough to add something like that. It would have been nice having gone over the complete DVD to be able to go directly to a shorter "teach-in" just showing the bare bones routine. Just my opinion....

Best,
bk
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bobby is a stud! I would love that all DVDs come with a simple and quick explanation along with a PDF with the outline just to back reference.
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 11:14, Michael Dustman wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 02:10, johndraws wrote:

Not sure why but if you search for it by Chapters, it stops and goes back to the menu. However, if you select Play All from the Main Menu and then fast forward, Richard teaches the Color Change move at exactly 42 minutes into the DVD.

Hope this Helps

Found it yesterday. Thanks. This did help me find it right away. Not sure why fast forwarding through the chapters skipped it...but it did. I simply fast farwarded it to the time you suggested and there she blows.....I have been practicing this non stop. I look like a retard.
magicpatoche
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magicpatoche
Just got mine today and I am really pleased. It is true, the explanations are lengthy but at least there's a bit for everyone. We don't have all the same level here. For some, none of the moves are new, for some, it's all like a first kiss!
The alternate change in the condensed version is of pure beauty IMO.
A nice twist to the Erdnase change that I usually do.
I am yet to perform to a real audience but I am sure it will get a great response.
Money well spent I think.

Thank you Richard!!!

For those who have the DVD, what is you favorite version? I personally prefer the condensed version. Closer to my style, quick magic, straight to the point. A killer!!
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1093 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Got the chance to perform this recently. This effect rocks!

Funny thing, with one of the performances I had a guy named Stephen, but I didn't know if the name was spelled "Steven" or "Stephen," so I used MAGIC as the word to be morphed. Not as strong as one's name, but it still got a strong reaction; I wrote "Happy Birthday Stephen" on the face of the card afterwards.

As a side note: I'm probably the only magician who didn't have "Tagged." I remedied that situation yesterday. Sanders really has a knack for great magic!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2895 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 17:08, MJ Marrs wrote:

Funny thing, with one of the performances I had a guy named Stephen, but I didn't know if the name was spelled "Steven" or "Stephen," so I used MAGIC as the word to be morphed. Not as strong as one's name, but it still got a strong reaction; I wrote "Happy Birthday Stephen" on the face of the card afterwards.

As a side note: I'm probably the only magician who didn't have "Tagged." I remedied that situation yesterday. Sanders really has a knack for great magic!

How about STEVE ?
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1093 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2009-07-09 00:04, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 17:08, MJ Marrs wrote:

How about STEVE ?

I thought about that, but decided to play it safe. Anyways, I figure it's nice to have a backup plan in today's shrinking world where one is likely to encounter names from all over the globe. Sure, I can magically make names appear; I just can't spell them... LOL

This reminds me of Copperfield's funny quip when he stumbled a bit walking down the stage stairs at one of his live shows: "Sure, I can make the Statue of Liberty disappear; I just can't walk down a flight of stairs!"

I'm having a blast with Identity and Tagged. Now I've got to see what all the buzz about "Interlace" is about.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 16:56, Voldemort wrote:

Quote:
On 2009-07-04 12:55, JTW wrote:
Voldemort,
The ultimate goal is EXACTLY what happened. Mr. Sanders posted to this thread thanking people for voicing their opinions positive AND negative. It makes him better AND its happening in real time.

He doesn't have to wait until he releases something new and no one buys it to try and figure out what he did wrong. The consumer has a voice now that is louder than ever before in history.

Jason

Yes he did post to this thread. But I don't remember him apologizing to anyone or admitting that he "DID WRONG". I don't even remember him saying anything about the whole Stickman, Named, Misleading demo malarkey. In fact it sounds to me like hes standing up for his effect. No?

Voldemort,
I meant the second half of my above post as a hypothetical since it was discussing something he would release in the future. I thought you would understand that. IF I wasn't happy with what I bought I would return it (or sell it in the secondary market) IF it isn't what is advertised. I would also let the creator know and other people know. I have done this before.

If you already have the techniques by the SAME creator from two other purchases Wouldn't you be upset that he charged you $30 for the same thing you already own? He could have offered a shorter/ less expensive version of the effect for people who own the previous releases that are interested in learning a new routine. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that Identity is certainly worth $10-$15 dollars. Then again I'm a fairly advanced card worker and I learned nothing new by way of technique. I think this type of routine is better suited as a download video or a PDF. Actually it would be best in a set of notes possibly with Stickman and Named to give you the full progression. Now that would be worth $30!

I'm sure this thread has taught Richard something valuable. I hope you learned something too Voldemort. I know I did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Identity (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL