The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Identity (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..20~21~22 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Attention to some folks: before accusing someone like Richard of unscrupulous motives and practices, please do your research. If you were in a room with him, I don't think you'd take that accusatory tone. He deserves better on this forum.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
The only thing I thought was misleading is when he showed himself drawing the random marks.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I guess that's sort of misleading, but in all honesty you could technically do the same when performing. If anything, it's a nice subtlety to use and not so much a misleading demo gimmick.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2009-06-28 17:54, magicman4646 wrote:
The only thing I thought was misleading is when he showed himself drawing the random marks.

I guess you could do that every performance but you would need a new gimmick.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

You would need a new gimmick only after about every 5 performances. Really it's up to your own taste when you'd have to switch gimmicks. Assuming you're getting paid to use this, it really isn't that big a deal to switch out gimmicks after several performances and get a great subtlety out of it. It's not necessary at all though, since they are convinced you drew the lines anyways.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
You mean add an extra mark after displaying the “random marks" as if completing the drawing. I like that very much, neat idea. I would hesitate to do it now with the gimmicks being in short supply but if I could buy them by the deck would add a little mark with each performance and replace as appearance dictated.
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
I guess I must live a very sheltered life. I just ordered mine today.
Regards,
Silverthorne
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hey just a quick question. You only receive one gimmick per dvd?
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
667 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I've just seen the demo video on penguin magic,
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1967
looks iteresting......
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Look, I'm not saying the effect is bad -- in fact, it's pretty good. I'm just saying that if it actually looked like it did on the video, it would've been a fantastic trick. And since Tagged and Interlaced and Extreme Burn all actually look like they did on his demo videos (and are all outstanding, by the way -- highly recommended), I was expecting pretty much the same thing here (especially given the delay in obtaining the gimmick). But, c'mon, there are three suspicious (to a reasonably astute observer) parts of the effect -- the handling of drawing the marks, the handling of the disappearance of the marks and the handling of the reappearance of the marks in the middle of the deck. Those are the exact three areas that were judiciously edited around in the video -- indeed, the drawing of the marks is downright misrepresented. I'd warrant a guess that if they hadn't been, there'd be fewer sales. So I understand why he did it -- but I'm kinda bummed that he went that route. Ian Blacklock's posts back in the earlier days were prescient despite the grief he took for them -- Ian, looks like you won't be eating your hat. And I'd certainly be willing to tell Mr. Sanders of my disappointment if we were in the same room -- after all, I've been putting his kids through school.
icuryy
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
188 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
I just wanted to say something here.

I completely understand and respect people voicing their opinion about an effect.
I think it is healthy and a great way to stay informed.

However, when it comes to making factual statements about an effect, I would hope that this information has been researched and found to be absolutely true before publishing it for all to see.

Socalesq refers to the vanish of the marks and the pulling of the card from the middle as being "edited around" on the demo:
Socalesq, please be careful in making these kinds of claims.
Please re-watch the DVD as both of these techniques are taught on it.
In fact the vanish taught on the DVD is an incredible concept on it's own.

I find it so irritating to see false claims brought up on the Café threads and then left there for all to see.
Once it is posted, it becomes the truth in some people's eyes, even though it is an incorrect interpretation.

To everyone here on the Café, PLEASE do your research before you accuse someone of something and put it in writing. This is dangerous for all of us.

Thanks
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 00:38, Rpascual wrote:
Hey just a quick question. You only receive one gimmick per dvd?

According to Penguin Magic website, the Identity package includes "Gimmicked Bicycle card" - You are right, you get one.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I saw the demo, ordered the effect and just like with the other effects I own by Mr Sanders...I was VERY PLEASED! I have performed this numerous times and the specs really like it. All the moves necessary to perform the effect, if you aren't already familiar with them, are well taught by Mr. Sanders.

Regarding the "gimmick".... it's easy to replace should you need to and the impromptu version is just as strong in my opinion....

I think it's a wonderful effect and my hat's off to R.S. once again.

Best,

Bk
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1093 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Just bought this at a local magic shop. I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Top notch teaching and very thorough.

I really didn't go into watching the demo (or into the store to purchase the DVD) thinking that a high-tech 22nd century digital card which actually morphs into a spectator's name and then is able to be given away as a souvenir was included as part of the package. I figured that somehow one must find out the spectator's name before the final revelation. It's a magic trick. I really don't think that anything was held back on the demo video or in the advertisement as far as what the spectator experiences.

I can't speak to the similarity of "Identity" to any other routines (e.g. Named, Stickman, etc.) because I don't own the Richard Sanders Show DVD and I've never seen the routines performed. Although, I've heard good things about those routines as well.

I feel this is a really strong routine and well worth the investment.

Respectfully,

MJ
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Actually, you do know Named and Mr. Stickman because that's exactly what you get with Identity Smile
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Michael, before you accuse me of being factually incorrect or making false claims, I suggest you re-watch the demo and re-read my post. The vanish on the demo shows only the very last portion of the vanish, not the initial handling. The handling of moving the card to the middle of the deck, as I stated (not "pulling the card from the middle") is also avoided. And the marking of the card is simply not done anything like shown on the demo. If I was shooting the demo and wanted to get the most buyers, I'd probably want to avoid showing those three elements, too, since they're the weakest parts of the effect. But Sanders hasn't ever done that kind of creative editing before, so I was disappointed. Is it really okay to show on a demo only what the seller magician thinks is experienced by most spectators? If so, I could put out some wickedly confounding demo's. Anyway, I've said my piece, so I guess I'll stop posting on this subject.
icuryy
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1100 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I haven't got Identity but I know Named & Stickman from the Richard Sanders show so I'll probably work it out. I see lots of you rambling on about the 'gimmick' you get with Identity. I wouldn't worry about replacements as a life time worth of replacements can be bought from any decent magic store for less than £5. As for the trick being misrepresented in the demo - I don't think this is the case. Most promo videos don't show everything & lets face it - most of the tricks we buy we unwrap & are disappointed when we find out the secret. It's not until you practice it & perform it you realise it's power. Richard's products I've seen all work in the real world but if you're having trouble then more practice is required, plain & simple.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Socalesq, I believe what Richard has done, is show what the effect looks like to the spectator. That is how it should be done, if he didn't, Magicians would all get together, figure it out piece by piece and not have to purchase it.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
I have the Richard Sanders show DVD with Mr. Stickman. When this thread came out I knew within the first 2 pages what this would be. I didn't know Named, but I imagined the effect was done like Sankey's Graffiti or that effect with a business card and a deck of cards in Kurtz's Unexplainable Acts. Sounds like I was right. I knew what the gaff was soon after. And is that 'vanish' Andrus' Startling Color Change? Looks like it.

I didn't believe the hype. Glad I didn't. As many have said, that doesn't make this a bad effect--in fact I imagine it's very well constructed. It's just not nearly as revolutionary as it was made out to be--a.k.a. hype hurts product perception in the long run for short term gain. I think the real disappointment is knowing that this is something you could have fairly easily constructed on your own in terms of technical handling for the effect. IOW, simply knowing how the effect appears would lead a competent creator to re-create, almost to a T, the handling of this effect if they knew Mr. Stickman and Named/Graffiti/Kurt's effect.
spleck
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of spleck
I pre-ordered the first day I received notice of this new effect. I'm a fan of his past effects and have never been let down. My first impress was a slight disappointment that the initial trailer video was a bit misleading about one aspect (which has been pointed out here, I won't point it out again), but no matter the dvd is great quality, covers multiple ways to perform, clever tips on how to make the most of key aspects of the performance and an overall stunning addition to my collection. I would still recommend this to anyone curious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Identity (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL