The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Miniature Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
It's excellent for Scotty York's "Surprise Stab."
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Chuck Fayne has a little booklet titled "The Rat Trap & Other Snapy Effects You Can Do With Your Little Deck"

Regards
Kim
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
How about matrix? You cover the four small cards, with 4 jumbo coins. Now THAT would be a reverse matrix! Smile
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
There is an effect called "Fasten-ation" by J.K. Hartman published in the 1983-84 winter extra edition of "Richard's Almanac". Besides the mini cards it uses a mini stapler. Spectator shuffles a mini deck and selects any card from the deck. Without looking at the face, the card is "marked" by stapling it in the middle of the card. Magician takes a regular size deck and begins peeling cards from the top of the deck asking the spectator to drop the card on top of any card. Once done, the mini card is turned over to reveal it's face with the comment "wouldn't it be amazing if you placed your mini card on top of the regular size matching card." Spectator is asked to remove the mini card only to find it now stapled to the regular matching card!

I just purchased a mini deck yesterday to give this effect a try. It sounds good.

(BTW - at the time this was published in "Richard's Almanac" J.K. Hartman was working on a book called "Famous Last Words". This effect was also to be included in the book.)
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
THEY'RE SO CUTE!!!!

I have 2 decks of these mini Bicycles. Green and Blue.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Paul Harris has a version of his Bizarre Twist where the card the spectator holds instantly becomes mini-card while they hold it. The trick instantly resets and is perfect for walkaround. I know he put it out in one of his tapes, but I'm sure he has it in a book, too.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Harris's trick is called Bizarre Shrink and it can be found in the AOA book set. It is a very visual effect. The spectator is literally holding a full size card, and it instantly shrinks in his hand. It's great! Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
In David Acer's "Natural Selections", there's a cute trick called "Mini-Fusion".

A spectator selects a card from a regular deck. Upon trying to return it, the deck has shrunk to a mini-deck. Since the magician hasn't seen the card yet, he tries to find its equivalent in the mini-deck.

He tries once, and fails. He tries again, and fails again. He observes that if you add the two cards together, you'd get the spectators card.

Taking this as inspiration, he taps the two mini-cards together, and they fuse into a regular size duplicate of the selected card!
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
I do a trick called: "A Big Card Trick"

Effect: The Magician removes the 2 jokers from the deck of cards and after showing them front and back places them off to the side. A spec selects a card remembers it and returns it to the pack. After a few wrong geusses, all of whch help build to a uniquely funy climax, the correct chosen card is revealed - in the form of a minature playing card- from in between the 2 jokers..

I found this trick in some old magic book... Cant remember which one..
I like cards.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2001-11-01 19:44, Jeff wrote:
Steve, funny that you should mention the mini decks. I picked one up last week for the heck of it and came up with a shrinking deck effect.

Quickly the effect is showing a full sized deck, as you turn it face up and spread the cards for a selection the deck shrinks to a mini deck.

I showed it to my wife and then my daughter and got the same response from both. Neither of them realized the deck had shrunk until after they selected a card, and even then I don’t think it hit them that it was a full sized deck.

I thought this was going to be a cool effect but it sure is not getting the reaction I’d hoped for.

BTW, nice site!

Jeff

Is there something that works vice versa? It would be good to perform with a regular deck after the mini cards expanded.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I made myself an Invisible Deck with miniature cards. Packs small plays big!
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Miniature Mysteries with Cards, compiled by Barbara Walker, Magic Limitedl 1980, is an incredible historical (18th century to last century) anthology of effects.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
Perform rub a dub as usual but instead of the card vanishing it shrinks
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Check out diminishing returns by Mike Powers. at http://www.mallofmagic.com

This effect is great.

The card is selected and the rest of the deck shrinks in your hands (no deck switch) The large card is returned to the mini deck. Then in your hands the mini deck returns to size and the selection shrinks to a mini card. Finally the mini card is removed from the deck and instantly and visually it returns to normal size.

Very cool. I do an Alice in Wonderland themed routine with it. "Eat me!" "Drink me!"
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Herrick, Jeff
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Herrick, Jeff
I've been using Micro-Macro as my opener for almost 15 years, its that good of an effect, thank heaven for those little cards. Jeff
I'm not looking to be a big star in magic
and that's working out REALLY good so far.
Witness4him
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Witness4him
I like the business card idea. I love the creativity here. I think the mini-cards are fun too, probably partly because you don't see them everyday. How about inviting a younger child onstage and doing a routine with two decks you have a regular size deck and they have a "Kid-sized" deck?

It would also be quite interesting create a trick using an oversized deck, a normal sized deck, and a mini-deck. You could invite a child to help, Then and adult that gets the regular deck, but then since you are the magician, you get the really big cards. Smile

Pete
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2001-10-17 21:47, rickmagic1 wrote:
If you want a strong close-up effect with a mini-deck, check out Martin Lewis’ "Impossible Miniature Card Rise".

It’s one that takes a little work, but definitely gets a great reaction.

Rick

Is the "Impossible Miniature Card Rise" uses a similiar method as the "Cardiographic"?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
TheWhiteye
View Profile
New user
Chicago
29 Posts

Profile of TheWhiteye
Josh Jay did a fantastic effect where he cuts the deck into 4 piles, makes the 4 kings appear face up on each pile, and then turns them into mini kings with barely a wave of his hand over each pile. It's beautiful, yet I don't recall the name, or where the lecture notes can be found.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hey, I found the answer to my own question in the post above. NO, Cardiographic is not the same as The Impossible Miniature Card Rise (IMCR). Cardiographic does not use miniature cards. There're two totally different effects. Martin Lewis teaches you how to make the IMCR in his CLOSE-UP MIRACLES DVD.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 10:05, Herrick, Jeff wrote:
I've been using Micro-Macro as my opener for almost 15 years, its that good of an effect, thank heaven for those little cards. Jeff

I put a trick out in the early 90's called Low Main Deck (based on micro-macro and Jon Cornelious' FISM act routine)...
Effect:
A deck of cards is
removed from the case and spread in the hands. Spectator names any card. As the deck is squared it instantly shrinks to half the original size and the
selected card is the only card face up in the face down deck!
Instant reset
Custom made gimmick
No card forcing

Sold quite a few to Hank Lees, Brad Burt and a wholesaler. I have another version, my actual original idea I am putting out soon. The originally released trick was more of a good sight gag...the new one is more of a routined trick (effect above)

I LOVE these little things, to bad there are not a few gimmicks available Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Miniature Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL