The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Understanding language and tone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18587 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Something I've been considering...

I can't remember where I heard or read this, and I believe I may even be paraphrasing - "what we understand, we call science - what we do not understand, we call magic..."

that is instantly debatable, however does hold an element of truth as far as I'm concerned...

which then leads me onto this...

let's consider this scenario - lets say that "i" have always been able to instantly pick up on bad atmospheres, know instantly when people are upset/pensive/thoughtful without them ever saying so...yet when I ask, I am proven right...

I do this consistently, with both friends, and strangers...

I can also seemingly be an extremely perceptive judge of character, and can also "feel" when moods have changed...

now, maybe due to my ignorance of modern day experiments, psychological techniques, theories and the such - the only "logical" explanation I can offer is that I have a very strong sense of intuition. And maybe others may wish to label me as "a little different", or maybe even *shush* psychic...or an empath if they have a little more knowledge...

now, how do I do all this? maybe I had a troublesome childhood, and as I grew up, I naturally/subconcious learnt how to read people...what I was really doing, wasnt psychic in the hollywood sense - but psychic as in just using a certain mind-technique...and rather than conciously learning it - I simply developed the knack (not the band who wrote My Sherona) - to almost instantly read peoples moods and feelings without being conciously aware of it...

and just due to lack of awareness over eckman (to continue with this example) - I can only come to the conclusion that I have some kind of weird ability...

do you think, that sometimes, the lack of awareness of certain experiments, sometimes there is no other answer other than "it appears I can do this strange thing..." (and if you stopped the average guy in a bar and said "hey! about those F.A.C.s eh!" they'd look at you, as if you were mad)

I realise I am making a clumsy point - but I suppose I'm getting at this - language can sometimes inhibit our understanding of ourselves...so people that have a psychic talent for something, are not being naughty and telling lies - merely have arrived at the only conclusion available to them?

open question that is flame-fans...

and inversely, with things like photographic memory - maybe years gone by, some people were seen as "gifted", when really, they had a latent testable natural ability...

"gifted" is a heavy label to use in our work, and that term can be blurred too..."she's got the gift..", or "he's a naturally gifted musician.."

the language we use, obviously, is very important in what we do...yet I think we can all fall foul of it too...how many people say "i can never remember my PIN number!"

that sounded natural didn't it? when really you're saying "i can never remeber my personal identification number NUMBER..."

I am rambling, I'm tired, but don't wish to go to sleep yet...

all I'm saying is, what we say, how we say it, and what we imply can be very interesting and sometimes not quite what we intend...

just like people mix up psychic with medium, just like people prefer gut instinct, to intuition...different definitions of natural abilities that the majority would admit to having...
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I don't think your initial quote holds water.

Only the stupid would honestly label things they don't understand as "magic" (or any other unsubstantiated concept.)

It's a cop out to make them feel better. I don't know how that happens, so I'm going to call it magic. Now I know.

It's far more honest just to say "I can do something, I don't know how I do it" and have a more stimulating life while you try to find out the "how". No need to degrade it as 'magic' or a 'gift' or the work of goblins etc.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18587 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, its not my quote, its just something I remember reading..it was just the jumping off point of how people could assume they are doing one thing, when they are really doing something else all together...and vice versa...
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
IAIN, it could be that "you" are subconciously picking up on body language, facial expressions, and voice tonality that allows "you" to know peoples moods.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
David, I have this odd feeling that Iain is misremembering a very famous quote from someone most of us would agree was far from stupid, Arthur C. Clarke. The original quote is: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So you may want to rethink your position or try and see it from a broader perspective as I'm pretty sure was Clarke's intent. I don't want to get into the rest of Iain's comments but I'm pretty sure he is recalling the Clarke quote and I'm a big Clarke fan!

And am I correct, Iain? Is this the quote you were paraphrasing?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18587 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah I know...its part of my badly made point!

its just how the use of language can influence what other perceive what "i" do, yet what I am doing doesn't change...

say I describe the emotions of 3 people in a room, and I'm correct...i then tell them what they are worrying/thinking about...

depending on the language used, and peoples sphere of knowledge - will label what happens in (potentially) two opposite ways...

to one group, what I did was some kind of psychic ability, to another group I was reading body language and micro muscle facial movements...

yet I am only doing "one" thing...

Quote:
On 2009-05-09 20:15, Bill Cushman wrote:
David, I have this odd feeling that Iain is misremembering a very famous quote from someone most of us would agree was far from stupid, Arthur C. Clarke. The original quote is: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So you may want to rethink your position or try and see it from a broader perspective as I'm pretty sure was Clarke's intent. I don't want to get into the rest of Iain's comments but I'm pretty sure he is recalling the Clarke quote and I'm a big Clarke fan!

And am I correct, Iain? Is this the quote you were paraphrasing?

it may well be Dr. C...or it may be someone else badly paraphrasing Arthur C.Clarke and I'm misremembering THAT quote...

I may need a coffee..i've been up nearly 24hrs...
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Iain, why are you doing this to yourself? 24 hours straight? You don't need
coffee, you need bad. The syntax of your langauge is telling. Mentalists helping mentalists and all that. Get some rest, guy.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Iain,Bill is absolutely right...u need some shuteye or may be you are going thru some stress.
Sleep tight.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Poor ian
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hi Ian,

Read Emotions Revealed by Paul Ekman. It may give you some words to talk about what you are naturally doing.

Best,

EE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Understanding language and tone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL