The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can dried out cigars be saved? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I have a humidor filled with dried out cigars. Is there anything I can do to save them, or is it not even worth trying?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Guess your humidor didn't humidate properly.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Don't try it. A single drop too much moisture (whatever method you use) will kill the draw, and it will be like trying to suck smoke through a popsickle. One cigar might be worth the effort, but an entire humidor full is much too great a risk.

The best solution is simply to smoke them as they are.

Smoke one for me! (I don't smoke anymore.)
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Put a small bowl of distilled water in it for a couple days, see if they have improved
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
A small, damp sponge in the humidor, one cigar at a time (not in contact with the cigar itself; check it after 24 hours).

Which brings up the question: is the clay button or sponge in your humidor not absorbing water properly?

Keep in mind I've rejuvenated pipe tobacco, but never cigars, so what Stoneunhinged wrote is probably dead on.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
The humidor works properly. It got packed away and forgotten about after a party a few months ago so it hasn't been receiving it's regular moisture maintenance.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Take them to a cigar shop and put them in the store's humidor for a few days.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Tom's suggestion is the best so far, but you could try a slice of apple in the humidor for a week or so...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Unless you want your cigars to taste like apples, leave em out! The link below and links within it should get ya where ya wanna be! Unless they are good cigars, don't bother as it is a rather long and arduous process!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cigars-2143/2......ting.htm
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Let's say you have two or three hundred bucks worth of cigars. Then it might be worth the trouble in the article Mickey linked to.

But if you're going to do it, the best thing would be to forget your humidor and find instructions on making your own out of a cheap cooler with a hydration unit. Just Google "Cooler Cigar Humidor". A quick search turned up this most excellent device:

http://www.cigar-info-guide.com/cigar-humidor-cooler.html

The air-tight seal on a cooler makes it ideal for what you need.

Whatever you do, if you decide you want to rejuvenate them, we're talking at least two months, not a "couple of days".
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It was just a suggestion.

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
And what should I do with cigars still wrapped in plastic (or still sealed in small individual metal containers)? Take them out of their wrappings before I start re-animating? Or re-animate them as they are?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

It seems I've read that you take em out of wrappers and tubes!

Jeff,
I remember when those "cooleridors" first hit the scene and thought what a great idea! There was also the tip for making the hydration unit out of a plastic soap container and florist foam. I still to this day use the one I made!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 21:20, mandarin wrote:
Tom's suggestion is the best so far, but you could try a slice of apple in the humidor for a week or so...

The apple slice method is known to develop mold, causing the tobacco to get moldy. Not good.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I found a very cool tobacco canister/humidor in a antique shop and bought it for my dad! In the lid there was a little compartment with it's own lid and small holes that could be adjusted. I was told that you could put a piece of fruit such as an apple in it and it both added flavor and kept it moist a bit longer.

It seems you go through pipe tobacco faster so you don't have the mold problem that was referred to with the cigars. That and since it's going to be a rejuvenation process it will take much longer (a couple months was mentioned)!

I have a nice humidor full of quality cigars and fortunately I've never lost track of it and I've consistently maintained proper temp. and humidity. I have several that have been in there for more than 5 years and they DO get better with age!

Hope you can bring em back from the dead!

Mick
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Here's an update...
It has only been about three weeks, but the cigars are nearly rehydrated!
I added a small bowl and moist paper towel to the box. Every couple of days I change the paper towel and rotate the cigars. The humidity level has slowly gone up. Interestingly, as the humidity level increases, the smell of the cigars becomes stronger.
I anticipate that everything will be back to normal withing 2 more weeks.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sounds like you're on your way to success.

I still recommend, however, that you resist the urge to smoke them until they've spent several weeks (or more) at the re-hydrated level.

If they're truly high quality, they will age well, so there is truly no hurry.

RANT:

I was stunned when I got to Europe and started smoking Cuban cigars. I had always thought it was a bunch of hype. I truly wanted to believe it was hype. I don't remember why I wanted to believe this, but I did. Seemed to me that people were chasing some kind of forty year-old holy grail, and it all had to do with nastalgia and Castro and that kind of thing, and that in a blind taste test one couldn't tell a Cuban cigar from a well-made, extra strong Honduran (or whatever) cigar.

But it ain't hype. My first Cohiba made an unbelievable impression on me. It ROCKED! Best thing I ever put in my mouth, tobacco-wise. And the next one was just as good. And the next one.

I truly pray for the day that all of you can freely buy Cuban cigars in the USA again. Flood Cuba with money and democracy, and flood the USA with all those cigars they've been sorely missing out on.

(I assume. I mean, you're not trying to re-hydrate illegal cigars, are you?)
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It is illegal to bring them in, but not to have them.

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The Governator imports them for his personal use. I actually got one of his Cubans from a friend of a friend once, and OMG, they really are that good! I'm hoping our upcoming negotiations will open up the Cuban cigar trade again.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 12:58, stoneunhinged wrote:

I truly pray for the day that all of you can freely buy Cuban cigars in the USA again. Flood Cuba with money and democracy, and flood the USA with all those cigars they've been sorely missing out on.

We can get cuban's here pretty easily as one just has to hop across the border to Canada to pick 'em up. Not that me, nor anyone I know has ever participated in smuggling. But it does give you something to smoke while you're waiting in line at the border to get back into the states. which on a summers day can take a couple of hours.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can dried out cigars be saved? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL