The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chalet Retriever Chest or Charvet Nest of Boxes? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I've been looking at the Chalet Retriver Chest http://www.chaletstephens.com/catalog.html (about halfway down) and the Charvet No Assistant Nest of Boxes http://charvetmagic.com/catalog/i1.html for a little while now, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the benefits or the situations where one might be better than the other?

Whichever one I get, I'd like to be able to use it for predictions, a cell phone appearing inside, or possibly with a wiz kote.

I haven't seen either of these in action, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I own the charavet nest of boxes and I would recommend them for the cell phone, predictions, but you would not be able to use the nest of boxes for a wiz kote effect for a shoe. the effect is bulit to last a lifetime and I would highly recommend it. contact david he will answer any questions you have on his effects. my 2 cents
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I seem to remember that Kerry Kistler uses the Charvet Nest of Boxes with his Dyna Kote routine. I believe he has a stage assistant though.
Mister Mystery
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Thanks for your opinions. I've seen a lot of good reviews for the Charvet Nest of Boxes, I'm just a little bit hesitant because I've never actually seen them used before. Are you happy with the deceptiveness/cleanliness of the handling?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I do not have the Charvet boxes, but I think I remember someone using them with a Wiz Kote routine. I believe they used an assiatant also, so if you do not have an assistant the Chalet Retiever Chest might work better for you. Don't take my word only for this.
Mister Mystery
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I like the way the charavet nest of boxes work very decept. as far as doing a shoe burning effect regan is right you will need an assistant. now if you want to use a smaller item to end up in the boxes then you do not need an assistant. here is a rountine I use the boxes for bill to lemon with the lemon in the last box and I let specator cut the lemon open to find their bill. the nest of boxes have many uses and where they are made out of ata case material will last a lifetime with a little care. here is one more point about the charavet boxes to consider you could give the boxes to a client you are going to work for in a day or two pad locked show up at the venue and do a news paper prediction and that be the only time you have touched the boxes sice giving them to the client. that's a pretty strong rountine. I actually own the small set and the large set so I can actually do the effect I just described with the small set and still have the large set to perfrom with. my 2 cents take care and God bless.
almagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of almagic
They have 4 and 7 boxes version. May I ask when is the item loaded for the 4 boxes version?
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Hi Biff,

We actually did a cell phone reproduction in a Chalet Retriever Chest and made it look like a stock of boxes by getting a few of those cheap craft boxes in two different sizes so they can nest inside one another.

It worked very well, especially on the few occasions where the borrowed phone was too big to fit into the smallest of the boxes, we still had a box within a box to make it more impossible.

If you end up with a phone too big for the nest of boxes, you may just be stuck. I think the Retriever Chest is more versatile and is the better choice.

Sincerely,
David
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1892 Posts

Profile of chmara
When I had Chalet build my (one of a kind) Adult version (Size 12 man's shoe) sold my complete Wiz-Kote (standard size for kid's shoes) to Christian and Katalina -- who immediately put the retriever table to action in their mentalism show. The device is that versatile.

I recently corresponded with David Charvet as I was selling my Thayer Nest Of Boxes vis-a-vis use in a seance -- and while for a straight mentalist I decided they were not of an "old enough look" for seance work -- and my Adult Wiz Kote and retrieval chest, ideal for stage work, has been eliminated from my repetiore by my illness and is for sale here under trick for sale.....with ATA case etc. etc.

Comparing the two pieces is hard and I perceive their uses as different -- particularly in the climax of the discovery of the item to be restored or revealed. If you are not good at developing anticipation as you (or better yet the spectator) opens each box in a nest of boxes -- they can be a liability to your show.

All the foolishness (at least in my presentation) with Wiz-Kote has gone on before the restoration -- and making the "victim" open several boxes would stretch out the discovery a step too far for the audience to enjoy more than the "place box down, open box right now and discover it was full all the time although in plain view" feeling.

This feeling is opposed to the puzzle feeling evoked (IMHO) by a nest of boxes that leaves the audience time to wonder (as boxes are opened) "how did he get it in there" rather than the fast feeling of it was there all the time.

The problem with the retriever chest though, is it must be loaded out of sight of the audience where some nests of boxes can be loaded right in front of them.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Happy to answer any questions about my version of the Nest of Boxes. You may e-mail through my website. We have sold close to 300 sets over the past 15 years. I guess the fact that you don't see many on the magic auction sites or eBay speaks well for the effect. Those who buy it use it. My thanks to all who have purchased in the past.
Again, if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chalet Retriever Chest or Charvet Nest of Boxes? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL