The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Advice Need for a Newbie to stage Illusions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
genemccarthy
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of genemccarthy
I dart in and out of the Café and ran across these old posts.

I wouldn't undersestimate the generosity of those that are doing it, like Murray Hatfield, Chuck Jones and others. For anyone considering this line entertainers of that calibre are most gracious and their experience is untold.

Murray Hatfield produces one of the best, as in quality,shows available. He works all the time and feautures legendary support acts.

The tours are tough and Murray Hatfield is renown for treating performers as artists and not as geeks and freaks.

I just noted you are in Australia so Sam pwers, Tony Laffan and John Taylor are extremely experienced and marveous poerformers as well.

gene
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Wow, this thread is really old...AND TOTALLY AWESOME. There is GOLD here in these posts! A very late, but very appreciative thanks to those of you who parted with this knowledge. I'm picking up some of these resources. I do have a thought, though I may not get an answer. Smile

Dennis mentioned the following:

# Opening Illusion: Flash Appearance, Portal, Fire/Lighting/Fog/Sound Effects
# Establishing Image: Fast-Paced, Magical, Flash, Colorful, Animal Production (Rabbit)
# Production 0f Assistant Illusion: Crystal Box
# Illusion with Assistant: Mismade Lady, Ziz-Zag, Saw-in-Half
# Trademark Routine: Expose Your Personality to the Audience (A talking routine that is YOU and Your's Alone)
# Novelty Illusion: Twister, Mismade Lady, Some Illusion that is funny
# Audience Participation: Wiz-Kote, ProViper II, Head Chopper, French Arm Chopper, Visible Sawing-in-Half
# Featured Levitation Illusion: Gamalo Levitation, Sword Suspension, 3-in-1 Levitation
# Audience Participation: Wiz-Kote, ProViper II, Head Chopper, French Arm Chopper, Visible Sawing-in-Half
# Closing Illusion: Statute of Liberty Production from a Square Circle or some Very Powerful Closing New Routine Leaving the Audience something to talk about on their drive home.

Now, that is all well and good...but it smacks of the same problem most illusion shows have - TOO MANY STUPID BOXES!! I was totally thrilled to see this list and thought quickly of how I could work my show around these. However, then I remembered the very thing I HATED to see when I was starting out - too many "my box is cool" tricks. I watched a leading illusionist team (not mentioning names) who did TONS of illusions but every one had a trick box. It got old very fast. They are one of the best teams in the country and extremely well known. Good? Eh...ok I guess but it's just a dumb box, right?

I think it's very difficult to do one thing well. However, it's even more difficult to do many things well. Perhaps this is the reason performers stick with one method instead of several. My show has mentalism, escapes, manipulation, illusion(ettes), and many more forms of magic. This way, if someone hates the linking rings, they can enjoy the mentalism. Maybe someone who hates mental magic can really enjoy the illusions. There's something for everyone to talk about and it really showcases the many forms and aspects of magic AND the performer! I think if I were to do an illusion show, I would do 3-4 illusions with a good bit of other types of magic that still played to packed houses. (David Copperfield does a little bit of this by putting in several closeup effects in his act and using a live video camera.)

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Advice Need for a Newbie to stage Illusions (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL