The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building My Own Props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi,
I have posted in different areas on the Magic Café forum, but I seem to have missed this section. It is great to see other people making their own props.
I think most of what I do belongs in this section.
I am not a performer but I build magic apparatus. I have built some tricky pieces (Magic Orange Tree, My version of Antonio Diavolo, Dancing Harlequin, Peppers Ghost, etc, etc)but I seem to be in a rut. I cannot seem to come up with anything new. Most of my pieces that I make are copies of oldtime pieces. I think they are great pieces (the originals) but they don't seem to generate a lot of interest to performers. I do understand. I feel as if the pieces are looked upon as outdated. What I am seeking are any good books or maybe ideas on something a little more comtemporary. I restore automata for a living so I am capable of making mechanical pieces, but most seem passe.
I just completed a Peppers Ghost illusion and the effect is really cool but I am not sure if it is a cutting edge prop.

If you have an interest in seeing what I do, please visit my website. There are links to videos I have posted on Youtube. My website is http://www.clockworkuniverse.net
If any of you get a chance, please give me some feedback on my pieces.
I guess I am looking for any info or direction how I can come up with some newer ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Veegates.

Looks like you have a great talent for building magic. I thought I was in a rut this winter,I asked around and several books were mentioned. I ended up buying the Thayer catalog instruction sheets vol 1 thru 4. All helpful to spark new ideas.

Gimpy
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Excellent quality work, Veegates.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Veegates, I've seen your work before, and hopefully this is the second time I am saying that it is absolutely outstanding!!

Regarding your products' marketability: It is simply too good for the middle of the road magic market. You should be showing these beautiful pieces to serious collectors. If you want to appeal to magicians on a more modern level, unless you can create a new trend, you'll sadly need to lower your sights and follow one.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Veegates, I am in love with your Satyr! I am guessing from the video that is a multiple card reveal effect?

I have been collecting devil art for a while now and would love to add that to my art/magic collection. Of course,following the adage of if I have to ask the price, I can't afford it, I don't think I will be able to anytime soon. That being said, is it for sale and how much? I'd also like to know more about the routine behind it.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Why not write a book about your work, as well as a simplified "how-to" for the craftsmen out there? I would buy it just to see how the stuff works!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I´m very happy to found this genius in electronic robott and so clever with this kind of mechanisms!
He have two very clever the "veegates" and the "remote guy"! They are welcome in the magical comunity!!!

Paulo
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi,
I wanted to say "thank you" to all that responded for the positive words and the great advice!!
It is truly appreciated
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Hi Veegates,
Can you tell me wish country you live?

Paulo
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Fantastic work! You are very talented.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
With a name like Veegates I would guess it's Germany.
Magic is a vanishing art.
PWB
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of PWB
Check out professor Spellbinder's site the magic nook. He has created and developed so many different devices that I am allways inspired by his insight.

Pat
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
If the golden oldies don't draw enough attention from magicians, perhaps you should change tack and offer to build whatever they come up with...

That said, I think there will always be a market for the old illusion stuff. If not for performers, then it is for collectors. Also, some old props never go out of fashion. Despite the age, many magicians still use subtrunks.
Jubin
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Jubin
Your Picture Of Dorian Gray looks great. Any video of it in action?
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
You might want to check out Tabman's book. I'm the opposite of you - a magician who wants to start building his own props. I bought Tabby's book and found it chock full of great insight.

You can find it here: http://www.tabmanmagic.com/

Dov
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building My Own Props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL