We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » LIBRARY SEASON- ARE YOU READY? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I will offically kick off my summer reading programs in about 2 weeks. This year in Texas our theme is "Deep In The Heart Of Texas!" which is pretty exciting for me since I was born and raised in Texas and still live here today.

How many of you are getting ready to kick off your summer library tour?
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I will be doing 2 weeks in the Okanagan region of BC and 2 weeks in the Fraser Valley region as well as the city of Richmond. Total of some 50 libraries.

Our theme is Readers are Leaders. I start at the end of June/beginning of July
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Best of luck to you Neal! Break a leg....no break both of them!
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I was booked for one library this coming Saturday, then the rest of them don't start until the second week of June! The theme in Oregon is the "Be Creative @ Your Library," so it's been a very interesting, broad subject. I'm basically doing a trick that has to do with each aspect of creativity that I'm covering (art, music, imagination, and drama) then tying it off with "other" creative things like...Magic! I really enjoyed the theme last year (Catch the Reading Bug) but I'm sure this year will be just as fun!
I'm in a new market this year, we moved a few months ago, so I wasn't able to capture as much of the market as in Wyoming, but still got about 30 or so. Should be fun!

Good luck to everyone!

P.s. I think it would be fun to create a place where we could all post pictures of our summer reading show to share with each other, maybe picassa or something like that. What do you guys think?
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Next question for everyone regarding libraries.....

HOW MANY YOU THEME YOUR SET DESIGN to go with the show? I am a using treasure chest this year since my show is called TEXAS TREASURES. I'll also be dressing red, white and blue. My music will have a western theme as well. I know of many performers who go in with their regular suitcase table, etc. and do nothing to tie into the theme.

For me, librarians love it when you get creative with your show and dress the part and really take advantage of the theme.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have geared my whole show around the theme.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Our state's library budgets are pretty sad this year. Some libraries may actually be closing. Very few bookings this summer unless you work free, and I know some people who do.

Steve
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I've heard that some libraries are in finanical trouble but in my area I am super busy. Now what they do next year be a different story but for this year I am good to go.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1136 Posts

Profile of Eldon
This year my show theme is "Do somthing Wild and Creative", which covers all the themes for the Midwest States I'm working. I have a themed backdrop every year. It has the name of the show and some graphics.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1601 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Our library theme this year is "Agent 009", and I'll performing the Barry Mitchell character education program, "Inspector Iwannano". I performed it for the first time last week. The library was part of the school, and so they paid for the show to be performed for all the students (100 K-6). It went really well, and greatly looking forward to getting started at the end of June, when our Summer Reading Program starts.

While I don't normally have a themed setup, I do this year.

Brian
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Best of luck to you Brian and others as well!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
I started with an elementary school's Birthday and Books Club. It was an end of the day program in the schools media center. Tommorrow will be the first community library with the same theme of Creativity....My program is called
Creativity, Get it...Got it...GOOD.

New this season are parody songs with my ukulele...

Anyone using a superhero this summer....

I am ...but can't tell you as you already know "his" secret identity...Mild mannered (he he he) counselor ..able to lift frowns with a single schtick.

Newest prop getting lots of laughs this season....."Hat's Incredible".
Only been playing with it about 2 months.and hope to get even more out of it in the seasons ahead...

Of course giving live entertainment...no one knows what is waiting just around the corner/and our next audience....

Have you sent out notices for 2010...? Some libraries around here have a June 2009 deadline....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
The Libraries in my county had a showcase where I did a 15 minute audition for 50 librarians. I have booked 35 libraries so far for this summer from that one audition! They videotaped me and put it on the Library Coop web site for other libraries to see. This was a great way to book my season. Here is the video of my audition: http://stream.suffolk.lib.ny.us/Performe......ovie.htm
Arnie Kolodner
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Arnie

Great Job. I can see why you got so many bookings. The key to those showcases and entertaining them and throwing in the lines that they as adults get.

Ken
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Arnie...loved the last lines about books....

Thanks for sharing....

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Thanks Ken! I'm going to be performing in China during kidabra this year but if you think showing this video at the convention would be helpful to people let me know and I can get you a hard copy.
Arnie
Arnie Kolodner
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I am just putting the final touches on my library season this week and next. I just added in an old retired effect by Barry Mitchell called GOT COOKIES? I wrote a routine based around how the library has GOOD STUFF (like the creamy middle of a cookie) everywhere you turn....books, magazines, CD's, etc. etc. and am using a book about cows to help illustrate the story.
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
Well,,I have about 15 this years but most of those I had to pass on to a friend because I got secert gig in Las Vegas..so I'm moving there next week...but I will be flying back to flordia for a week to do 6 shows.,,

-k-
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Last night thunderstorms, and a "hail warning"(up to 3inches) kept the numbers down. No hail outside, but the creative crowd had a lot of fun.

Tried a new bit on the harmonica with names of audience members and mouth sounds..at the beginning of the program. We went A...B...A...and ended with the same thing..(with additional names learned during the program..) and had the audience form the "train" as we ch ch ch ch woo wooed to the front of the library.

Be safe, well and creative...

Harris
have duct tape...will travel....
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
My summer reading kicks off not this Wednesday but the next! I am super excited - the only problem - I have school shows the day before and after with THIS year's show so I'll have to change shows from one day to the next - which will feel really strange with a new show right in the middle!

After that it's all libraries through the first couple weeks in August! Around 90 - 100 I think! Fun times! The "Be Creative" theme was very much wide open - though it helped that the emphasis is on the Fine Arts as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Bug theme from this past year - I am going to make that show available at all times now during the upcoming school years for those who want the creepy crawly critters!

I hope everyone has fun this summer!

Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » LIBRARY SEASON- ARE YOU READY? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL