The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yep, another Glorpy question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
YEARS ago I bought a haunted hank (can't remember the name of it now) but it's covered with little pics of cartoon ghosts and the material is quite stiff. So, I'm looking to buy something better.

As far as I can find on Google there are 3 nice ones available (can't find the original Glorpy anywhere) and here they are -

Hyrum The Haunted Hank -

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/hyrum-the-......760.html

The Spirit Scarf by Eugene Burger -

http://www.yourmagic.com/catalog/product......ts_id=25

Ghostly Pocket Hank by Fabric Manipulation -

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/magict......7-2.html

Hyrum is very much the cheaper option and the material looks OK. I've searched the Café and found a few related threads about this but I'd really like to hear from anyone who owns 2 or more of the above so they could possibly give a comparison.

Just by the way, I see that suggestions of Richard Osterlind's Solid Ghost tend to come up on 'Glorpy threads'. I'm not really interested in that particular version... if a ghost has been kind enough to appear in my hanky the last thing I want to do is smack it with a spoon! Smile

Thanks in advance.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are you going to use this for kids or other types of shows? That would dictate the pattern you want, for example Eugenes, which are made well, are black or blue, last time I looked, and the Fabric Manip one can likely come in whatever you want but it is the high end (and very well made).
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Hi Billy,

One of the more impressive versions of the haunted hank I've seen is the one by Tenyo, It's called Phantoma and comes with a little "haunted house". You can ditch that house if it doesn't suit the presentation but the hank has really nice material and nice pattern on it.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Billy,

I found this list of the various Glorpy knock-offs on Tim Ellis' site. It's got a picture that might be what you bought:

http://magicfakers.blogspot.com/2007/10/glorpy.html

It shows that the original is still made by Fun, Inc. and is available under the Royal Magic name.

There are several imitations that might look better for what you want.

Jeff
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
The ghostly pocket hank can do things the others can not. I think its worth the money. instead if a rip off its a real improvement
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Thanks Joshua! Here is a video of my Ghostly Pocket Hank. The video shows some of the extra moves that can be done with my hank. If anyone would like to know what makes my hank different, please feel free to PM or email me and I will happy to explain.

Also, some good news, I'm about to have 5 pages of brand new instructions for my Ghostly Pocket Hank that are being generously put together by Ron Bauer and illustrated by Sandra Cort. These instructions will clearly show all of the moves in my routine. When they are completed, I will let everyone on The Magic Café know. If you already own one of my Ghostly Pocket Hanks, I will work out a way to get the new instructions to you free of charge.

Lynetta
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
For my money I would go with the ghostly pocket hank. I agree with joshua the ghostly pocket hank has a great improvement over others. I own several of fabric manipulation products and they are all great. my 2 cents take care and God bless.
JSRovner
View Profile
New user
Southern California
34 Posts

Profile of JSRovner
I'm a big fan of the Ghostly Pocket Hank. It's one of my most prized magic possessions.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
The Ghostly Pocket Hank looks very different from the rest. As seen in the performance video this seems to be a good improvement. I must say the performance in the video looks very nice & good.

I have a question & an answer will be much appreciated. Can the same hank (after the performance) be handed to the spectator?

Thanks.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Hello Ustaad, I sent you a PM with a detailed answer to your question.

Lynetta
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have several of these little beasties my first (1960's) was made from a garish multicolored men’s pocket square. It was the kind that you could fold a different corner to stick up from your pocket and have an appropriate color showing (good for any shirt and tie combination). I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time!

I also got a couple that frankly looked like they were made from left-over scraps of a quilting club (that had no taste in color or fabric). Needless to say I didn’t use them.

The basic routine was always fun to perform but sort of dropped out of my working repertoire (due to the crummy quality of the hanks available and my laziness to make one myself). It only got pulled out and performed at home with visitors that talked me into a séance or the like. I called it a cleaning rag from a funeral parlor (used one with coffee stains, etc.)!

I just noticed Ms. Welch’s special "stimulus package" deal pairing her version of the Haunted Hank and the No Ring Hank. I’m in!

Not to mention that Denny (Denny & Lee’s) Haney has sung the praises of all of Ms. Welch’s products (especially this Haunted Hank) for some time now. I’ve always trusted Denny to not steer me wrong.

Looking forward to the Bauer/Kort booklet too!

I'm sure glad I ran across this discussion!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hi Lynetta,

Thank you so much for for the PM. Also thank you for an unambiguous & precise answer to my query.

The Ghostly Pocket Hank is one of the finest effects I have ever seen being performed so neatly & smoothly. The whole effect looks very natural. The demo video speaks for itself. Congratulations to you for bringing out a Ghost-Hank that is different from the rest.

The Ghostly Pocket Hank is on my very next purchase list & probably along with the No Ring Hank as well.

Best regards,

Narendra

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
I have seen Lynetta's Ghostly Hank in a local magic shop. Her hank is like looking at a Rolls Royce. I just ordered a black one. I had Glorpy , Hyrum and a Spooky, cant even compare.Worth every cent!
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Check out Bill Malone... it's genius...
catch you later

Clarioneer
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 18:48, Clarioneer wrote:

Where? Link?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The routine is the "Ernie's Sex Test!" on his "Here I go again" DVD set:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9643

The whole set is incredible!
James

Quote:
On 2012-10-21 09:21, slyhand wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 18:48, Clarioneer wrote:

Where? Link?
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
Can you use the Ghostly pocket Hank like the glorpy (two handed) or is it a one handed operation due to how high it comes up?
The reason I ask is I like to put small spirit slates and give the appearance of the ghost writing. The way the GPH comes up that does not look like it will work. Plus I'm not a fan of using one hand I think that gives away the works.

Has anyone used the GPH this way?

Thanks
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Eugene Burger and JC Wagner both have nice routines using Glorpy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 06:18, Bill Hegbli wrote:

You can't find it anywhere, did you use Google Search engine.

Bill Hegbli, the original post was more than three years ago. Smile LOL.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yep, another Glorpy question. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL