The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Incredible black and whites of Pearl Harbor recently uncovered (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had to share this. My brother sent me an e-mail that absloutely knocked my eyes out of their sockets.

Seems someone recently found and developed some film from a Brownie camera as an eye witness to Pearl Harbor. I believe there's probably about nine or ten of them.
I was dumbfounded at how incredibly, sparkling clear these almost panoramic photos were! After all these years, these black and whites look like they were taken yesterday. I just can't get over it.

You can see ships, planes, huge plumes of smoke, EVERYTHING in striking detail. This is an amazing trip back into history.

Since it was an e-mail attachment, I am not sure how to post that, but if you would like to see the photos just let me know and I will forward them to you.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If these are the same photos, Snopes has an explanation.

They are most likely genuinte photos of the attack and several are identifiable as US Navy archive photos. If you follow the link above, you'll see a bunch of very interesting pictures and Snopes's explanantion of where they most likely come from.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dougster, there was a ship trapped in the ice of Antartica in the early part of the last century and the crew had to basically walk out. National Geographic ran the photos and they were as clear and well focused as anything you would find today. I was really surprised by the quality.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 22:31, MagicSanta wrote:
Dougster, there was a ship trapped in the ice of Antartica in the early part of the last century and the crew had to basically walk out. National Geographic ran the photos and they were as clear and well focused as anything you would find today. I was really surprised by the quality.

It was The Endurance. There is a documentary about it.

A fascinating story that I would highly recommend.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15958 Posts

Profile of tommy
It says taken by a sailor but some some them are obviously taken from a plane?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Come on Tommy, do we really want to throw that into the faces of those that believe?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 02:49, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
If these are the same photos, Snopes has an explanation.

They are most likely genuinte photos of the attack and several are identifiable as US Navy archive photos. If you follow the link above, you'll see a bunch of very interesting pictures and Snopes's explanantion of where they most likely come from.

John

Yup. I discovered the snopes explanation after I posted. I've been had.
But at least the photos were genuine.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 22:31, MagicSanta wrote:

Are they available online anywhere?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Here are some of them. This was in 1914 and the camera was dragged around antartica and then, I believe, the film sat around. The pictures are great.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica......ance.htm
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh, about Pearl Harbor. Remember our WW2 vets are getting very old now and you should value them. Consider shows at retirement centers or vet centers and listen to them. I knew three Pearl Harbor guys, two on the West Virgina (brothers, one still living), and my wives uncle who was suppose to be on his ship but was on shore drunk and missing duty during the attack. I know that two have passed and not sure about the last guy. Either way be nice to the old guys.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I Have to be nice to the old guys, I'm slowly but surely becoming one of them..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Incredible black and whites of Pearl Harbor recently uncovered (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL