We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Computer technologies -DIY? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
So, I just finished editing my own promo vid, and creating a new website. Here are the results:
http://www.pottythepirate.com
I found the whole process very straightforward.I edited the video clip using Pinnacle Studio 12 - which supports 2 simultaneous video tracks, I don't think any more than that. You COULD use 3 or more video tracks, but would need to edit in each one separately, which would be VERY difficult. There are also several sound effects/title track overlays.
The website was built at: http://www.webeden.co.uk
All the tools are provided, so you need no software, just your images and prepared text (you can write it as you go the first time). The main work is to prepare a picture folder with all your photos. I store mine as J-Pegs, as these seem to be universally supported. If you want video links, you can use Pinnacle to post them on You Tube, and then embed them automatically in your website when you build the site. You simply type in the URL (displayed in the very top bar of your computer). Job done!
Having had bad experiences getting others to do my online work, I've found web building and video editing astonishingly easy. I think the key is to use a programme that doesn't offer too many options, yet still allows you to be creative. There is less to learn, yet you can still produce something completely unique, and there is no sign that you used a "template".
In fact, my site was built around one of the ready-made templates, but had I wanted to, I could have created my own.
I have had bad experiences when trying to get others to do this work for me. Yet when push came to shove, it has turned out to be just a few days of learning and trial and error, to reach the position that I can now do these things myself. I wonder how many others here make their own websites and vids? I'd certainly encourage others to try it for themselves - it's free to create your site, you only pay for it if you want to keep it, anddon't want ads.
It's been a long post, but I hope the info is useful for some.
Potty Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I do but use software, not things that are based on-line and haven't progressed in ten years.

But I do teach ICT amongst everything else.

We use dreamweaver 8 and camtasia studio. Then upload.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I've been on the internet before browsers, before domain names, popups and HTML editors. I used to use notepad and hand code all my pages. Since then, life has become easier to make HTML pages.

Dreamweaver is the best HTML editor I've used. I integrate Adobe Fireworks for graphics, Macromedia Flash for interactivity and animations. I believe a great webpage is a sign of a successful entertainer.

Good job on your page Potty. It's satisfying to take nothing and create something you're proud of. It's hard to create a webpage for someone else. Most everything is subjective to an individual.

In the end, you want something that reflects who you are. You want large easy to read fonts and color schemes that are easy on the eyes. AVOID MIDI's and music!!
Also having common or incorrect or too many animated GIF's make a page look "cheap". Above all the page should be easy to navigate and informative and fun.

As a webdesigner, I like exploring new websites and concepts.
Check out this one
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

It's also important to remember most people are impatiemt and don't have fast connections to download. We dumped the splash-screen and music during beta trials because of this. I want to have more on my pages but they can take too long to download, which we found put off clients.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I think it depends on your target market. It would seem that individuals and businesses that can afford a top entertainer can afford broadband Internet.

This does not hold true with the current growing trend of browsing the Internet from smartphones. Cell phone Internet connections are slower than broadband and viewing is sometimes restricted. Have you checked your website's appearance and loading speed from an iPhone or Blackberry? Do you offer an alternate smartphone-friendly website?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Remember not every one is in US of America. I'm in one of the other 235 countries that have snail-band.

And smart-phones download slower.

Maybe we need a web designer forum on the Magic Café?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As I said, MA, it depends on your target market. If one's target market is in an area where dial-up and slow transfers are common, one should plan one's site accordingly.

And I believe "The Tangled Web" forum in General Magic includes discussions on web design. Could be wrong... Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

I'm sure there are other places at the Café to discuss website design - but I thought I'd post this thread here, as I'm a kids' entertainer, and I'm only particularly interested in the responses from other kids' entertainers.
The web design site I used does allow you to see your website as it would look from slower servers, and maybe through an iphone, Blackberry, etc. I haven't got that far yet. But as far as I understand you can set things up so that if someone logs on through a slower server, the site automatically goes to "basic" mode, and delivers the same information but in simple text, and with fewer graphics, pictures and videos.
I'll let you all know how that goes as and when.
Potty Smile
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of Wizzo the wizard
Doug,
On your home page jsut below the word o in singalong there is something which looks like a volume control. Whats it for?
Louis
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

It's a scroll bar, Louis...I need to delete some blank space in the text box - the scroll bars allow you to include as much text as you want within a text box. But I think it's fiddly, and with plenty of pictures and video demos, it's not necessary to have so many words. I may even cut the text down some more, ideally to be replaced with video demos where possible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Computer technologies -DIY? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.58 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL