The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Menu of Miracles 3 "The Main Course" DVD by James Prince (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I loved volumes 1 and 2 and this looks like a continuation of that great magic offered by the talented Mr. Prince. Scheduled release date 30th May.

Trailer:

http://www.rsvpmagic.com/menu-of-miracle......gic.html

Roaming Card
A totally impromptu card across - any deck, any time, any where!
Eliminates the problems associated with other impromptu versions

The Bullet Concept
Have a hole appear in a freely selected, SIGNED card
This is not a stand alone effect; it is a discovery that can be applied to your own presentations
James Prince has worked with this, in the field for years. From now on so can you!
Three presentations included on the DVD:

Shot to the heart: A freely selected card is signed and placed back inside the deck. The magician takes an invisible gun from his jacket and asks the spectator to fire at the cards that he's holding. The magician now says that the card has been shot out of the deck and through into his breast pocket. To prove it, the magician cleanly, with no palming, reaches inside and takes their SIGNED card out complete with bullet hole!

Card on Ceiling: A card is freely selected and placed back inside the deck. Once again the magician asks the spectator to hold and invisible gun and to fire it as he throws the deck into the air. On the count of three, the cards are tossed high into the air hitting the ceiling above, leaving one card stuck to the ceiling as the rest of the deck fall to the floor. Looking up, they see that not only is it the SIGNED card, but it also now has a bullet hole right thru it!

Target Practice: A card is freely chosen and shuffled back into the deck. The cards are now placed into their box as the magician removes a target from his pocket. Sticking the card case to the target, the spectator is asked to fire an invisible gun at the card box as the magician holds it up, attached to the target. Suddenly the card case drops to the floor leaving their SIGNED card stuck to the target complete with a bullet hole right thru it!

Ready Teddy Go!
A finger ring is borrowed from a spectator. Suddenly the ring vanishes from the magicians hands. It's found attached to a cute little teddy bear key ring.
So what's new - check this out
The Spectator removes the key ring from your pocket
The Spectator can freely handle the bear
The Spectator can remove their ring from the clip

Coin Kebab
A real worker!
Spectator chooses a coin to give to the performer
A hole drawn on each side with a sharpie
A kebab stick is pushed through the ‘hole’
The coin and stick can be handed out or given to the spectator to keep or the stick removed and the coin returned intact

Strike Three!
Routine with three mini baseballs
They travel from hand to hand, vanish, return and finally one morphs into a solid crystal ball!
Ala Vernon, Marlo, Roth but with some little touches of my own

Bleached Deck
One card is fairly selected
All the cards turn blank
The selection is found in the pocket
No faked cards
All can be examined at end

The JP Jennings Wallet
Adapt a Jennings move to enable effortless loading time after time
Not just cards - Necklaces, rings, mobiles loaded instantly
As easy as dropping something into a glass

Pepper Pot strikes again
James's classic borrowed ring to tabled Pepper Pot is revisited with a significant upgrade

The JP/Erdnase DPS
Following numerous requests a more detailed teach in of James' variation to the classic Erdnase DPS

Plus bonus hints and tips covering correct table positioning and creativity.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

These DVDs now have an official release date of 30th May. James Prince has put some great material on this DVD and the routines are ALL things that he's been using in his professional work for quite some time. I really love his J.P Jennings Wallet that reveals a technique that will allow you to load wallets in a split second, especially larger objects such as big finger rings and even mobile phones (inside sealed envelopes)!

You can see a trailer at http://www.rsvpmagic.com which shows a number of the effects and the basic DVD contents.

Best,
Russ
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
After I posted this thread Russ PM'd and asked if I'd like to see the DVD before the official release date. I became a huge fan of James Prince's magic and accepted the offer. I receive it yesterday and have started watching it this morning and will post my thoughts this week.

I want to try out a couple of things that James tipped on the DVD.One being the Jennings wallet idea. I posted it a bit wrong above. It should read:

"Adapt a Jennings wallet to enable effortless loading time after time
Not just cards - Necklaces, rings, mobiles loaded instantly".

I watched the performance over and over and couldn't get how it was done. You can do multiple rings, a watch, cellphone, etc. No fumbling. The load is instantly done.

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Look forward to reading your post. I own volumes 1 and 2. I am looking forward to purchasing volume 3. thanks
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Chris,

Glad you got the DVD. I think James has put some great stuff on the DVD and look forward to your review.

Best,
Russ
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

One last thing. You can see the JP Jennings in action on the trailer by visiting our website at http://www.rsvpmagic.com

The speed that it loads is amazing, especially as it is two large finger rings being put into the wallet. Rather than sliding the object into the wallet, James' technique allows you to simply drop the load into an opening about the size of a glass!

Best,
Russ
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I made the wallet adjustment last night. The speed at which you load makes it undetectable.

Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
682 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I'm really looking forward to receiving this.

I thought the first two volumes were excellent and am sure this will be equally as good.

Are there any more tips & advice on here too Russ?

Iain.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Iain,

If you liked the first two volumes of Menu of Miracles, then I think you'll love this one.

The Wallet is just one thing, but a huge leap forward I think. Other material includes a ring flight in which the spectator can unhook the ring themselves without any worry of the r*** being discovered. There's also 'Coin Kebab' which is a pen through coin routine that doesn't use the usual gimmicked coin and allows the magician to give the spectator their coin, complete with hole, to take away! They also give the magician ANY coin. There's also 'Bleached Deck' which is a neat and easy-to-do blank deck routine and 'Strike 3', a really great way to go into a Cups & Balls Routine.

Best,
Russ
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2323 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
What type of wallet is this?
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Xcath1,

The wallet that James uses is a Jennings Wallet, but I think this principle could be adapted to most wallets that are loaded in to a jacket pocket including the O'Connell wallet.

Best,
Russ
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Since this DVD was released on May 30th can anyone give a review yet please?

AP.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Ahh... Just heard it's not yet been released. There has been a delay - that's why there hasn't been any reviews yet! This is one of the main reasons why I've stopped pre-ordering anything.

Looking forward to hearing the review though. I enjoyed the first two volumes and am hoping this will be great too! James Prince is a great magician and Russ Stevens is one of the best producers of magic DVD's around!

Hopefully we'll get a review from Christopher Kavanagh soon. How about it Christopher?

AP.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Adam,

The DVDs were delayed by the replication company by one day and all orders will be shipped tomorrow morning, first thing, when they arrive. I know that Chris has got an advance copy and look forward to hearing what he thinks about the project when he's had time to watch it all.

Best,
Russ
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 16:08, Adam Paul wrote:

Hopefully we'll get a review from Christopher Kavanagh soon. How about it Christopher?

I got to use the wallet load at a gig my Cousin set up for me ( I rely on the kindness and crumbs from others ).

I used a borrowed ring. I love the plot of vanishing personal items like a ring and having them appear in an impossible location. In a sealed envelope, from a wallet is a giant surprise and with James's idea, ring size isn't an issue. In fact, the bigger the better.

I have not had the chance to do Coin Kebab, but I think this is going to be the most talked about effect from the dvd. It looked like real magic on the dvd and I believe that is how it will be perceived by an audience.

Anyway, I'll to get to a review of the dvd this week. I've been so busy I haven't had time to do it. But, I'm a huge fan of James's work, so it won't be any surprise how much I love the dvd.

James is a full time professional magician and he currently also works as a restaurant performer.

The dvd is filmed at the venue he works each week and it's not an empty restaurant. You can see guests at other tables dining, so for folks that would like to see how it's doesn't in real time, that alone is worthy of your consideration in getting this dvd.

OK, this turned into a mini review, but I do want to adress some of the other effects that James performed and taught and I'll get to it this week.

puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
Having James's previous two offerings, and having gained a couple of rock solid effects (from vol. 1 & 2)that are continuously in my starting line up, I have just ordered this. The bullet concept should fit in rather well with a couple of bits that I already do..
I also found James's advice in the past to be spot on.
I'll just quickly praise RSVP for the normal high level of customer service . There was a minor issue with the order (no fault of RSVP), which Russ immediately sorted out for me. Well done you!
Now, where's the postman..!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
The following is just a quick DVD review.. but I have a strolling gig tomorrow night so will try out a bullet card (initially for my own idea), and if the time is right (and I've played with it enough to feel comfy), I may drop in the coin kebab & roaming card.

Roaming card - I've tried other versions but this is so workable & (relatively)easy - it's a great addition to the repetoire. A nice alternative to 'Koran cards to pocket' (Geoff Williams) which I currently use, and could be as strong.

Bullet concept - I have my own idea for this, but after watching, I may well also use one of James's presentations. I already have the required item for this, so roll on tomorrow.

Reddy Teddy Go - What a great way of jazzing up a ring flight.. watch out teddy!

Coin Kebab - Horrible, really horrible. Don't try this..please! Actually, I loved Williamson's work on the pencil through coin, but never got round to trying it. This will have me busy in the workshop (ok, the kitchen then) tomorrow morning.

Strike three - I'm going to play with this. Not sure I'll ever use it, but I will practice.

Bleached deck - Looks good, but my spare pocket space is used for my colour changing deck routine with JP 'mirrors' kicker.

JP wallet - I have a normal CTW, but see no problem in adapting the concept.

Pepperpot - great, but won't be using it as a have both a ring vanish to location and Interlace already in use.

JP DPS - A much better explanation. Still not at Ammar ETMCM standard, but more than sufficient for the job.

Creativity - interesting.

Advice: What is covered (positioning and segmenting) is excellent sharing of experience and common sense (which is often only 'common' when someone points it out to you).

Production: Usual excellent RSVP quality, and seeing the audience's reactions is priceless. The stunned silence after the 'Strike 3' and 'Roaming card' routines was far more convincing than hysterical 'WTF' type reactions.

Conclusion: This has so much going for it. If there is a negative (to some people), its that a fair amount of the routines will need prep work, and some people will never build / make / adapt their props. Personally, I enjoy using what I make / adapt / create.
There is nothing hard to make here - we are not talking Tommy Wonder precision engineering, and maybe James / Russ / someone will sell you / make what you need.
Despite being just over 40, I confess that I sometimes have a honeymoon period with a DVD / book. However, there is stuff on here that will be for keeps.

Apart from the DPS, there is nothing too hard here, but there is a lot here that will be very hard hitting (as you can see from the genuine reactions).
I'm looking forward to reading Christopher Kavanagh's review, and I'll update this when I have tried the material in the outside world (starting tomorrow).

James & Russ, I take my hat off to you both.

PS. remember, don't try coin kebab, you really won't like it.. let me suffer the burden of it alone!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
A report back from my strolling gig last night - a party in a function room, 70 - 80 people, from child to pensioner, and a DJ with 'turn up the volume' syndrome.

I tried roaming card once early on - a strong, solid effect, but the spectators need to be able to hear you for this one.

I did not try coin kebab - I had done the prep, practiced the method (which is not a knuckle buster), but am not yet relaxed enough to perform this in the 'casual' manner that I think is needed.

Bullet concept - My planned idea for this (to tie in with a parlour piece) wouldn't work in a strolling environment, so I used James's 'target practice' presentation, with the addition of getting the spec. to fire a novelty 'bang' gun (the one where the flag saying 'Bang!' pops out the end of the barrel) at the target.
This played so strong - I did this about 6-7 times. It had comedy, it had a wow factor as the card was shot out of the box, and then when the bullet hole is revealed.. what a kicker. Easy to perform, super visual (done virtually without words towards the end of the night), and funny. And spectator involvement. And fun to perform...
I wasn't going to say 'just this is worth the price of the DVD'.. , so I won't. But it is, so there!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Menu of Miracles 3 "The Main Course" DVD by James Prince (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL