The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for a Good book on Performing. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Hey everyone,
Not looking for any particular book or any notes containing an amazing effect. What I'm looking for is a good, informative book on performing. It should cover the kinds of acts, style, audience management, props management and things like that. How to perform, how to entertain.

Anyone has any of these good reads to recommend?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-05-21 09:58, Magic_streak wrote:
Hey everyone,
Not looking for any particular book or any notes containing an amazing effect. What I'm looking for is a good, informative book on performing. It should cover the kinds of acts, style, audience management, props management and things like that. How to perform, how to entertain.

Anyone has any of these good reads to recommend?

Magic_streak,

Here are some books that I found very informative:

The Dariel Fitzkee Trilogy (The Trick Brain, Magic by Misdirection and Showmanship for Magicians) These are three separate books. Amazon.com is currently selling these books.

Magic and Showmanship by Nelms (A Dover publication)

Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic by Maskelyne (A Dover publication)

The Experience of Magic by Eugene Berger. This book has magic tricks in it but it prefaces each chapter with some good food for thought on various "issues" related to that particular type of trick. Personally, I enjoy just about anything written by Eugene. I feel his value is in his magic philosophy that is very much discussed in most, if not all, of his works.

The Magic of Matt Schulien by Eugene Berger. Some good tricks but this book's reallvalue is Eugene's large discussion of what made Matt Schulien such a popular magician.

Personally, I enjoy just about anything written by Eugene. I feel his value is in his magic philosophy that is very much discussed in most, if not all, of his works.

These are just some of the books that I have read in the past that I found very informative and invaluable. I hope this helps. If you need more books or information, write me a PM.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Leading With Your Head - Gary Kurtz Excellent!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Every performer should read read "Our Magic"
by Maskelyne and Devant. Smile
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
Pure Effect by Derren Brown
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
I recommend you get a copy of "Find the Stuff That's You" by Chris Carey. It is a great book on performing and finding your own unique style.
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Wow thanks for all the responses. I've long heard of Maskelyne and since a couple of you are recommending his book, I'll go check it out!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'll toot my own horn ... I've just released a booklet here's what's on the back page.

These are ALEXANDRE’S Lecture notes on
the Art of Performance in Magic &
Mentalism conducted in Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil—2002.
In this booklet you’ll find transcripts of
answers to various performance questions like:

* What is the most important aspect of Performance?
* When do you know when you’re
truly ready to perform?
* How do I find the best effects?
* How Important is acting ability?
* And many more!

"I believe the 'trick' one performs is
not as important as the way it is
performed, and that most 'tricks' no
matter how bad they are as effects, can
be made into something by a good
performer. You should learn to value and
appreciate how important Presentation is
to Magic and Mentalism.”
—from the introduction.

It'll be available in quite a few stores across the United States along with two of my other exclusive booklets.

Contact me if you want more info.

Smile
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Anyone has books by Maskelyne for sale? Especially looking for Our magic and Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Magic_streak:

I have several suggestions about which books to purchase on presentation and performance.

You might want to take a look at Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. I’ve heard many good comments and reviews from other members of the Magic Café Forum about Maximum Entertainment. I’ve heard good comments and reviews about Eugene Burger’s or Derren Brown’s books but again I don’t have any of these books yet so I can’t comment on them either.

I do have Magic and Showmanship: A Handbook for Conjurers by Henny Nelms and in my opinion this is a good BASIC inexpensive book to start with. It use to be the only presentation and performance magic book years ago but not many people read Magic and Showmanship that much any more. Although it is a good basic presentation and performance magic book, there are many magic books out there that are much better to read.

One book about presentation and performance that I really like is; Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey. It is a great book and contains many interesting thoughts but the ideas in the book are scattered. Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey is a thin book but it is packed with great ideas and the book is a great purchase, don’t let anyone tell you any different.

Another presentation and performance book that I really like is Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Buy Strong Magic because it WILL help you improve your magic performance and presentation. Strong Magic is the best performance and presentation book that I have right now.

So for performance magic my advice is to buy :
Magic and Showmanship: A Handbook for Conjurers by Henny - inexpensive and basic
Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey - a great book
Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz - The best presentation and performance magic book that I have ever read!

Just remember that many people buy books and do not study them in detail. You get out of a book what you put into reading it.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
jimroady
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jimroady
"Seriously Silly" by David Kaye is a great book specificaly written for children's entertainers. The material in the book regarding routine development and the thought process around identifying and working to your target audience could easily be applied for any performance. Also, no list of books on performing and structure could ever be complete without Juan Tamariz's "Five points in Magic". The amount of material packed into that book makes it digestible in only small packets. It's verrrry difficult to find since it has been out of print for so long and anyone who has a copy is not likely to part with it. If you do locate one plan on paying a premium, but it is well worth the price to learn from one of the masters of audience management.
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
The Henning Nelms' book did not live up to my expectations of it. I am not a professional magician but perform magic only for my friends, business associates and family. For what I do, I found Sankey's Beyond Secrets to be an incredible resource. It is not so much a "how to,' but rather a study in the psychology of magic and its presentation. I'm sure there are other good books on this topic, but the Sankey book changed how I think about, approach and practice effects. I cannot recommend it more highly.

Cheers,

Tiki
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Magic Streak-

If you are still interested in the Henning Nelms book, PM me and I will sell you my copy. It is in excellent shape and has never been exposed to cigarette smoke.

Cheers,

Tiki
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Try Sankey's Zen and the Art of Stand Up Comedy. It's written for wanna be comedians, but what he says applies to all performance types.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Magic_streak:

Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey and are my two favorite magic books.

Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey is one of my favorite magic books because, like Tiki mentioned, this book is a study in the psychology of magic and its presentation. Tiki and steve_seguin are correct about Jay Sankey's books. They are great!

I have everything Jay Sankey has written and I am happy with everyone of them. Jay's books are great because he defines the termonology he uses in his books, he explains everything that he does and his books are very practical for the real world. They are not just theory because Jay Sankey's love of magic and his experience shows through in all of his books. Also, Jay Sankey's tricks are easy to perform, use everyday objects, and are impressive to your audience. Jay Sankey has really influenced my magic for the better.

Take a look at Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey for a a study in the psychology of magic and its presentation, and read Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Strong Magic is the best presentation and performance magic book that I have ever read! You will like both of these books.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Absolute Magic--Derren Brown

Maximum Entertainment--Ken Weber

My Life In Art --Konstantin Stanislavsky

Jack Shalom
B.K.Pal
View Profile
New user
India
74 Posts

Profile of B.K.Pal
I hear a lot of recommendations about Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic. Does it contain only effects on cards ? I am not a card man. Will it be helpful to me? Need advice pl.
Sincerely Yours,....PAL
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I am reading Maximum Entertainment right now and it GREAT by far the best book purchase this year and maybe ever!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for a Good book on Performing. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL