The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » List gaffs in order of importance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gweedo
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gweedo
Hello I am new to coin magic and would like to know what "all y'all" think are the "must have" of gaffs, the "really should have" ones, and the "yeah but only later" gaffs. I have an expanded shell and was thinking about getting a copper silver coin next. Thanks for the input!
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Special user
511 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Depending on the $ you want to spend, Lassen makes the best gaffs period. You should have a hopping half set for starts. This is an amazing set of coins and with just a little practice you can have an effect that will kill. Copper silver brass is a must have also. This set of gimmicks takes more handling but it pays off many times over. Lassen also makes a set of coins called UWC. This is and incredible wild coin routine that has you producing three silver coins, changing them to copper and then changing them back to silver. This is not an easy routine but it is my favorite set of gaff coins. Hope this helps. PS Check out Todd's blog at http://www.toddlassen.com go to the bottom and enter the blog. This is the place that Todd uses to sell what is in stock.

Brett
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Good question - I suppose it always comes down to what effects you want to achieve. Gaffs are essentially sleights.. but as far as usefulness I'd say a shell and a copper silver. Ideally they would work together so you don't need a ton of tricky coins to work some miracles.

Focus on the core elements, the effects - color changes, transpositions, vanishes etc and you will begin to think of what gaff might add some miracle dust to the routine. Start with a single real coin (use big coins now and you will thank me later) - and create a beautiful appearance and vanish. How would you fit a gaff in there... maybe it appears as a silver dollar, changes to a copper coin, then vanishes in a puff of smoke. Was only a dream...

As far as hopping halves - that was my very first gaff coin set over 15 years ago and I still have the same set in full working condition (Johnson Set)!

Not to be a preacher - but if you are new to coin magic - that's great you are interested in the gaffs but don't let them replace your hands! Slydini did things with coins that would fry your brain with real solid heavy coins. No flippers, no magnetics, etc. Don't overlook the art behind it all. Presentation, direction of attention, and above EVERYTHING.. NATURALNESS. Don't hold the coins like you are doing funny magic tricks in oddball positions, hold them like say coins... blah blah blah. Read Fitzkee, Vernon and understand Slydini.

I personally don't love the newer supergaffs - things that split 20 times and have levers and keys in them. I think a lot of the supergaffs only point to trick coins... just my opinion.

The Lassen stuff is great, I have a bunch of Schoolcraft stuff that is superb, and even my older Johnson coins are just fine. Watch out for the high priests of coin gaff makers ;-) - some will tell you that only this camp or that camp can make a coin gaff. Don't bet on it. In the end you do get what you pay for tho..

Above all, be an artist!
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I have to agree with lithyem, work on your skills as an artist and you will soon realise that there are lots of effects that you can do with the gaffs you already have combined with slieght of hand and some normal coins.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I own a number of gaffs, including some pricey ones; yet the 2 mentioned first - expanded [ and C/s coin, are the ones I use most. Learn your primary sleights first, A copy of Bobo's is the first thing I would recommend to a beginning coin magician.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
All good advice given so far and I will second the thumbs up on the Johnson gaffs! I have stuff made by just about everyone and I'm not partial to anyone in particular! I will say this though, when you go for a flipper, get a gravity verses a standard as I feel more can be done with em!

I have read and been told that the Hopping Half set (I don't have one myself) is by far the most bang for the buck set in that it can be used as individual pieces or as a whole!

The advice given about learning your basic coin sleights is spot on and with the combination of gaffs and good solid sleight of hand you can do amazing things!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Mick
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Here's my own "gaff in order of importance" list, based on my experience:

Copper/Silver coin -- An oldie but still a goodie. They are inexpensive, so get two, and get some extra English Pennies while you're at it. The Johnson version is just fine and very durable. You can spend much more for coin gaffs, but it's hard to beat the Johnson quality and value, in my opinion. Bobo has plenty of good C/S effects, and there are many more around.

Dime & Penny or Scotch & Soda set -- a good introduction to shell work. I like the Royal Magic D/P set, which doesn't need a bang ring (use a shot glass instead, which can also store the coins) and is one-third the price of a Johnson set. But for an S & S set, Johnson is the way to go.

Expanded Shell -- My Johnson gaff is great. If you really like this sort of thing, get the Johnson "Hopping Half" set, which has more possibilities. And perform over a closeup pad; your shells will last a LOT longer that way if you accidentally drop one!

Stack of Quarters -- Johnson is good, it's the classic setup, but "Whisper" is a better variation in my opinion. It has a cleaner gimmick and a WONDERFUL detailed instruction booklet for a great effect.

Flippers, Folders, etc. -- no opinions, this is as far as my gaffs go! Don't forget that a Finger Palm, Thumb Palm and a Shuttle Pass will take you just as far, if not further. In fact, instead of another gaff, I highly recommend Volume One of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" DVD set, which demos and teaches many basic coin sleights; click HERE for more info. Roth also has a good DVD just on gaffed coins, click HERE to view.

BTW, welcome to the Café'!! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Maybe not first, but on the short list for me is copper, siver, brass. This is the gaff I have used for many years. The effect is powerful and always gets a stellar response.
Sammy J. Teague
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8835 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'd place the Expanded Shell before the Copper-Silver, but have lttle probelm with what has been said. Except -- get a hooked coin.

Yes, the box only comes with one suggested effect. There are dozens of other uses and many Sleights that can be done only with a Hooked Coin. Check out "Hooker" on eversway.com

I'd never leave home without it or the Expanded shell.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Nice one Funsway - How did I forget the hooked coin! What a great gaff - if I'm in the right situation I'd vanish a coin completely and use a persons back shoulder as a holdout with the hooked coin. Situational for sure but you could leave the coin on a spectator - all the while using them as a holdout - until you want to produce the coin from "behind their ear" etc... such a great gaff.
t
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Great suggestion Funs, shame on me for forgetting the Hook!
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
If I only had to pick one gaff I would go with copper/silver.
Everything else I could take it or leave it.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
One gaff I am never without Is A shell coin! It's No.1 on my List!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 15:38, lithyem wrote:
Good question - I suppose it always comes down to what effects you want to achieve. Gaffs are essentially sleights.. but as far as usefulness I'd say a shell and a copper silver. Ideally they would work together so you don't need a ton of tricky coins to work some miracles.

Focus on the core elements, the effects - color changes, transpositions, vanishes etc and you will begin to think of what gaff might add some miracle dust to the routine. Start with a single real coin (use big coins now and you will thank me later) - and create a beautiful appearance and vanish. How would you fit a gaff in there... maybe it appears as a silver dollar, changes to a copper coin, then vanishes in a puff of smoke. Was only a dream...

As far as hopping halves - that was my very first gaff coin set over 15 years ago and I still have the same set in full working condition (Johnson Set)!

Not to be a preacher - but if you are new to coin magic - that's great you are interested in the gaffs but don't let them replace your hands! Slydini did things with coins that would fry your brain with real solid heavy coins. No flippers, no magnetics, etc. Don't overlook the art behind it all. Presentation, direction of attention, and above EVERYTHING.. NATURALNESS. Don't hold the coins like you are doing funny magic tricks in oddball positions, hold them like say coins... blah blah blah. Read Fitzkee, Vernon and understand Slydini.

I personally don't love the newer supergaffs - things that split 20 times and have levers and keys in them. I think a lot of the supergaffs only point to trick coins... just my opinion.

The Lassen stuff is great, I have a bunch of Schoolcraft stuff that is superb, and even my older Johnson coins are just fine. Watch out for the high priests of coin gaff makers ;-) - some will tell you that only this camp or that camp can make a coin gaff. Don't bet on it. In the end you do get what you pay for tho..

Above all, be an artist!

My voice goes to lithyem

The [ for me is the one I use far more than any other (for coins across or coins to the spectator's hand, but also C/S using a file to reduce the circumference of the copper, Spellbound...) I use it way more than the S/C. Pick the one which matches the coins you use most often. No need here to go to top craftsmen, just choose a good quality one from a craftsman you feel comfortable with (even if you want soft coins that you can make yourself: check the thread Shine - No Shine, here in the café). I'm using old French coins so I bought the shell that comes with them.

The second in my most often used list would be the C/S/B as it is impossible to really achieve by sleight of hand what this gimmick offers. Without getting fanatically redundant as Polygonsmagic I would say that for this gimmick, I'm glad to be able to use a Todd Lassen's gaff: his Chinese coin looks more like a real ancient coin (because it is) than the Johnson set with the black and gold Chinese coin (which, in my taste, looks like a magician prop). I use it for a killer routine involving a double facer (so I have a double facer as well) and a flipper.

The third would be the Flipper: the best bet here is probably Jamie Schoolcraft or, if you are just a performer not concerned with collectors' satisfactions, pick a Johnson or a Mr Tango (who makes interesting flippers that no one else makes).

The fourth would be the stack because, not unlike David Neighbors, I'm a constant user of the Nelson Downs rattle gimmick.

The fifth would be the C/S for some tabled Coins Across or Shepherd and Sheep

I really did hurt my fingers too often with the Hoo coin, so now I replaced it with the beautiful Black Out by Brian Platt gimmicked by Roy Kueppers but I just got it so I cannot claim a lot of experience with it even if the potential seems awesome to me.

Then I also use copper coins (I prefer the Australian kangaroo pennies which open nice patter lines and one real dull gold coin - not a gilted one that is too shiny - that one costs as much as the best gaffs but gains in value as the time goes by and opens tricks that look more valuable to the spectators)

But as Lithyem reminds, they serve in routines which took me years to polish in design, misdirection, feints, script and acting: that's what makes these gaffs magic.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Gweedo
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gweedo
Thanks for all the info, very much appreciated!! I am waiting to get my David Roth videos, and my copy of New modern coin magic. I will work on sleight of hand first, then think about the Gaffs. Cheers
Paul
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 12:01, Gweedo wrote:
I will work on sleight of hand first, then think about the Gaffs. Cheers
Paul

I say work on BOTH at the same time. I got discouraged with learning sleight of hand. Then I got a Copper/Silver/Brass, and was overwhelmed at what they can do to an audience. It has motivated me to be able to back it up with some sleight of hand.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 08:29, mrehula wrote:
I say work on BOTH at the same time.

Second that! It's not an either/or situation.

When the two are combined, miracles happen.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2035 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I love Scotch and Soda and Come Fly with Me by Mark Mason. And also my Gravity Flipper coin. Made by Schoolcraft.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
If anyone's interested- PM me for a whole crap load of lassen gaffs for sale.

barber shell set with 4 coins

copper coin to fit the barber shell (african dime)

barber gravity flipper (The 1st that lassen ever made) and shell to fit that

barber coin with magnet inside, (magnetic half)

morgan dollar shell set with 4 coins

2 copper coins to fit that morgan dollar shell

some extra barbers also

I'd love to get these out into the Café community and know they'll be in good hands.

PM if interested.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
You'll have more respect if you don't have to use extra props, and you can utilize coins that they have on them themselves. I understand not everyone carry's $1 coins and old english pennies, but as fat as sleight of hand goes, if you can do some amazing impromptu sleight of hand at a moments notice, your audience will love you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » List gaffs in order of importance (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL