The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » List gaffs in order of importance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8711 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I agree with Flec and some others here... If you learn the sleights well you just might not need as many gaffs as you might think. Smile But in general I think the Cop/Silv coin is an oldie but goodie, simplicity at it's best and when used well can fool as well as anything else out there. I use them sometimes, I know. Smile I'd also say a [ allows for some good stuff to happen as well as a Flipper coin. For the most part everything else is some sort of variation of these, aimed toward the same ends. I will say that Platt's new idea of his "BlackOut!" coins has some great applications and doesn't necessarily necessitate much of any SOH at all.

Also in many cases you still have to use some SOH with gaffs to a degree. Gaffs are helpful and can save you a lot time in doing this stuff, that's why they sell them and most people start with them in some basic way, from Dime & Penny to Triple Threat.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I shy away from gaffed coins since I was a student of Slydini and for all the coin work I learned from him, the only coins needed were six silver dollars. Not a coin, but a gaff I use is the coin clip.

I do use Poker Chip Surprise (which is patterned after Haden's double copper silver) and a giant penny for a copper silver in spectator's hand I learned from Frances Carlysle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1077 Posts

Profile of taller8
I think CSB is the most clever of all gaffs, but I do like to switch out the coins with real ones to end clean.

A nice Dollar size Sun Moon set it fun too.

But the best is mixing sleights with the gaffs. Even a holdout for clean finishes.

It's never just one coin, or a few sleights, or a few props, it's using them all together that really opens the door to some amazing magic.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
One way to look at it:

There are two types of gaff in the world. Some gaffs do things that you can't do with ordinary coins. The rest do the same things as ordinary coins, only cleaner.

By strict definition, only the former group is "necessary". But, as Geoff Latta and others have shown us, sometimes cleanliness is close to godliness. So some of the second group of coins are certainly "important".

The first group includes: Folder, Karate coin, cig thru Q, and maybe a stack. Personally, the gaffs I carry with me are from the first group. If I've got the pocket space, from the second group: a c/s and a flipper. For most, however, I think a ] would be their first choice.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Holy smokes. This is some of the best information I’ve come across on the Café’ regarding coin gaffs. It really clears up some things I’ve been had in the back of my mind. Thanks to everybody on this thread.
Regards,
Silverthorne
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Holy smokes. This is some of the best information I’ve come across on the Café’ regarding coin gaffs. It really clears up some things I’ve been had in the back of my mind. Thanks to everybody on this thread.
Regards,
Silverthorne
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 17:43, sethb wrote:
Here's my own "gaff in order of importance" list, based on my experience:

Copper/Silver coin -- An oldie but still a goodie. They are inexpensive, so get two, and get some extra English Pennies while you're at it. The Johnson version is just fine and very durable. You can spend much more for coin gaffs, but it's hard to beat the Johnson quality and value, in my opinion. Bobo has plenty of good C/S effects, and there are many more around.

Dime & Penny or Scotch & Soda set -- a good introduction to shell work. I like the Royal Magic D/P set, which doesn't need a bang ring (use a shot glass instead, which can also store the coins) and is one-third the price of a Johnson set. But for an S & S set, Johnson is the way to go.

Expanded Shell -- My Johnson gaff is great. If you really like this sort of thing, get the Johnson "Hopping Half" set, which has more possibilities. And perform over a closeup pad; your shells will last a LOT longer that way if you accidentally drop one!

Stack of Quarters -- Johnson is good, it's the classic setup, but "Whisper" is a better variation in my opinion. It has a cleaner gimmick and a WONDERFUL detailed instruction booklet for a great effect.

Flippers, Folders, etc. -- no opinions, this is as far as my gaffs go! Don't forget that a Finger Palm, Thumb Palm and a Shuttle Pass will take you just as far, if not further. In fact, instead of another gaff, I highly recommend Volume One of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" DVD set, which demos and teaches many basic coin sleights; click HERE for more info. Roth also has a good DVD just on gaffed coins, click HERE to view.

BTW, welcome to the Café'!! SETH

SETH
Could you please elaborate on the differences that make you prefer Whisper over the Johnson set? I’m not looking for exposure just help in deciding which version to get.

Thanks,
Tom
Regards,
Silverthorne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » List gaffs in order of importance (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL