The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind thoughtscan board (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Where you think I should approach to have one build for me? I checked many stationery stores but couldn't find a similar one so I guess I will have a custom one made

Any suggestions about where to go,who to ask?
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
http://osterlindstore.com/catalog/produc......5292d484

I tried to make one and after a lot of careful work it turned out I made it just a shade too shallow. It didn't work, so I just bought one and very happy I did.

Torkova
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
To be honest,250 seems a lot to me to spend on a board so I want to take the risk of building it myself Smile
Sidney
View Profile
New user
85 Zombie Kills and their heads hung on
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
This is what I use with a small modification, because I need smaller props for my hand size and it gets the job done spot on.

http://www.bizchair.com/a1209-dac.html?u......64818647

Cheers,
Sid
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Have you thought about using Sebastian Black's new Clearly Q&A board?

As far as I know it does the same thing and looks perfectly normal. It's also half price. Check the reviews...
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Tom's suggestion is a good one. Black's Q&A Board is an excellent new approach.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
To be honest, the ability to work completely surrounded and to have the board completely examinable after I got my information (and the fact that it has survived repeated airline baggage "handling") makes the ThoughtScan board more than worth the minor $250. You might ask Sven, who has made a regular career out of this.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I had a neighbor make mine...I just showed him what I needed and some of the pictures from the website. I love the routine and use in every show.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I can appreciate it if you can't afford it, however I feel that you can't afford NOT to buy it from Richard if you want to do the routine. The book that comes with it gives so much great information and goes into far more detail than was described on the DVD.

$250 sound like a lot, but considering you're getting the prop constructed properly, the valuable information in the manuscript and 30 years of thinking and experience included in both - it's a bargain that will repay for itself in your very first show.
MarkRobertson
View Profile
New user
Lincoln, NE
51 Posts

Profile of MarkRobertson
I made one, two actually, the first I made too deep... the next was just right. I ended up using a portfolio because of a suggestion in something Bob Cassidy had writen about. A trip to staples or office depot will give you lots of starters ideas. Many two fold portfolios are ready made for this.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2009-05-17 17:45, mormonyoyoman wrote:
To be honest, the ability to work completely surrounded and to have the board completely examinable after I got my information (and the fact that it has survived repeated airline baggage "handling") makes the ThoughtScan board more than worth the minor $250. You might ask Sven, who has made a regular career out of this.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet

I second what Chet says here.
Let me tell you that I used several of the alternative suggestions Richard generously gives on MM1 for quite some time before I invested in ThoughtScan.
I use it constancly in all my shows, have done so for a number of years, and would never go back.

One thing is the quality of the board, it is very well made, looks like anything directly out of Staples or Office Max, and will last for ages.

Another thing is the construction.
It is easy to use technically, you don't have to worry about angles, you can move around as you like, you finish absolutely clean, and you can even use it for other things too!

Remember also that ThoughtScan comes with a book which gives you priceless advice and indepth analyzis on how to do a routine like this.
Others give only the technical instructions on how to use such a board.

There are almost no restrictions to the size of your audience, at least not up.
I have performed ThoughtScan for groups from 25-30 up to banquet sittings of 600 and theater sittings of more than 1.000, and it works perfectly regardless of the circumstances.
Where other creators of tools like this often recommend you to sit down Dunninger style doing their routine, you don't have to using ThoughtScan.
Actually I will recommend you not to do that.

Taken into consideration that the investment only is a very small portion of what you would or should charge for one single show, this descission should be very easy in my humble opinion.

It is highly recommended.

Sven
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
One thing is the quality of the board, it is very well made, looks like anything directly out of Staples or Office Max, and will last for ages.

What exactly is the Thought Scan board supposed to look like...in relation to something that you can buy at Staples?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Sidney
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 07:54, EVILDAN wrote:
Quote:

What exactly is the Thought Scan board supposed to look like...in relation to something that you can buy at Staples?

It kinda looks like this item which is a perfectly ordinary object when sitting on top of a desk,and although it does get the job done I'll admit that it is a bit unusual to be carrying one around to shows as it's place is on top of a desk.
Sometimes I think of how I can do this with an executive portfolio because I'm not comfortable with the logic of the prop.

Sid
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 09:33, Sidney wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 07:54, EVILDAN wrote:
Quote:

It kinda looks like this item which is a perfectly ordinary object when sitting on top of a desk,and although it does get the job done I'll admit that it is a bit unusual to be carrying one around to shows as it's place is on top of a desk.
Sometimes I think of how I can do this with an executive portfolio because I'm not comfortable with the logic of the prop.

Sid

Sid, your replacement "looks" like a good substitute,however I would say at a close glance that it's not the same thing. For one obvious thing the depth of th box is too deep.

The Thoughtscan box is a lot more shallower, which, IMO works out better in that it reduces chance of anyone, from whatever angle, seeing the "hows" of the gaff.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Sidney
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
Agreed Rueben, and that's why I modified mine, however I'm still not completely comfy cozy with the logic of carrying a box which belongs atop a desk about to do a show .
It's kinda like pulling one of those pencil cans out to distribute the pencils for the act.....illogical

Sid
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 10:07, Sidney wrote:
Agreed Rueben, and that's why I modified mine, however I'm still not completely comfy cozy with the logic of carrying a box which belongs atop a desk about to do a show .
It's kinda like pulling one of those pencil cans out to distribute the pencils for the act.....illogical

Sid

It's funny reading comments like this. Osterlind has been using his ThoughtScan board for about 30 years and has never been questioned about it. While I haven't been using mine nearly that long, I too have never been questioned about it. I'm sure Sven would say the same thing.

You will never be questioned about the board. It's thin, it's black and is completely examinable at the end of the routine - not that there would ever be a reason to examine it.

The first time I saw it on the DVD, I didn't think twice about it. Have you ever seen what Dunninger used? Before ThoughtScan, Osterlind used something similar. Talk about a strange looking board. No one ever questioned that as well.

There are mentalists who will completely over-analyze this very innocent looking paper holder (which is what it really is),yet have no problem going on stage with a Mental Epic board.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
What is the material the Osterlind board is made of?
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
The board is made out of wood and covered with a veneer or Formica. It's solid and will last you a lifetime of performing.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Thanks for the replies everyone, I will try and check a few places to get one built but in meanwhile also try and save up for the original board,I got convinced that its worth the price after reading posts here. But I still believe that mr osterlind could sell the board alone for the owners of dvd for a lower price.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 11:59, daghank wrote:
But I still believe that mr osterlind could sell the board alone for the owners of dvd for a lower price.

Before I could afford the real board, I just used a pad holder/padfolio to do the work. It was fine, but had angle problems. Richard describes how to use one on the DVD. If you are going to buy one of his boards eventually, you may want to go in this direction to save money. I did this initially because I wasn't sure the routine was going to fit me. Once I did a few shows, then I knew I needed it.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but will repeat it here - the booklet/manuscript that comes with the board covers a lot more material than what was on the DVD and even more material than was covered in his previous manuscript that came out when he first marketed the board years ago.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind thoughtscan board (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL