The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind thoughtscan board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
[/quote]

It's not, as you put it, "a strange-looking prop". Do you have a better suggestion? A better suggestion that:

1. Allows you to do the routine surrounded
2. Can be performed up close without fear of detection
and 3. Can be left on a table during or after the routine.

This isn't a pipe dream here. And the above conditions is how I use it.

I don't know how much real performing experience you have, you may have a lot, BUT one thing I can tell you that once you step in front of that audience as a mentalist, anything that isn't above board - the audience will call you out on it.

For my money, I can't beat the 30 years of experience Richard has with this.

So again, I'd be curious to know what you think is a better solution?
[/quote]

The above conditions are how I have used the BCQ&A...

:)

J
xxx
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18680 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Aw for crying out loud - why don't two of you have a joust or something, one with the thoughtscan and the other with sebastian black's board, and be done with it...

then maybe finish off with some kind of swami fight with them attached on lengths of chains or something...
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 17:57, Jay Are wrote:

J

Interesting, it's the attack of the Jay's.

Well you're the first person to say you can use Sebastian's product in the way that I described. When I asked on the other thread, you didn't reply and in fact those who did said that the board wouldn't be a good fit for me. From what I understand, even Sebastian says it has angle problems. But you say no. Hmmmm I have to question that since the workings of the product have been described to me and I fail to see how it's possible.

One other aspect I forgot to mention regarding the features of ThoughtScan (after all, this is a ThoughtScan thread) is can I see all the slips at the same time? I typically am working with about 10 slips at once and before I start feeding back the information, I look at all of the slips at the same time so I can plan my strategy for the routine.

Responding to Iain's comment - when I posted on the thread about Sebastian's product, I over emphasized that I wasn't looking for a debate as to which product was better. I have a way that I like to work and if there is another product that can meet those requirements, I'd like to know about it. It's always good to be versatile. Considering there isn't anywhere to get information about Sebastian's product, all I could do is ask and compare in an open and honest manner.

You can see photos & video of Richard's prop, you can't with Sebastian's. You guys don't know who I am and I don't know who most of you are. I've been burned one too many times by everyone buying into hype on a new product, so I wasn't going to take everyone's word that this is the next best thing.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18680 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As someone who has neither, and have my own method for Q&A (without using a board) - then I just find that we can all get a bit carried away, and protective of the method(s) we like to use the best...

as with anything, if we have a bias towards a certain way, then we won't hear anything said to its detriment...you can only ever really (perhaps niavely) take people at their word on here...and in real life too...

I would say maybe drop mr. black a pm on here or an email...
numberjay
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of numberjay
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 17:48, Domino Magic wrote:
Obviously you're not a fan of this prop. That's fine, but I'm still trying to figure out what you're contributing to this thread.

It's not, as you put it, "a strange-looking prop". Do you have a better suggestion? A better suggestion that:

etc...

Sorry not to make that more clear. I was not referring specifically to the ThoughtScan, which I don't own and don't use as I don't perform on stage, only one-on-one or intimate 'impromtu' mentalism, mainly to people I know.

My point was people may not 'question' you openly and just think that strange-looking prop you used (whatever it is, not referring to ThoughtScan!) is how you do it.

That is, people not 'questioning' you is not a measure of how fooled they really were, in my humble opinion.

I never 'questioned' close-up performances that didn't fool me at all, keeping my thoughts to me... Maybe that's just me.

I'm not entering into which Q&A prop is better. Osterlind's must be good for sure.

Numberjay
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
It's been mentioned that ThoughtScan can be used surrounded. As a matter of fact, I've used it when someone was looking over my shoulder (and I HATE someone looking over my shoulder). I don't believe there's another device which permits this.

And an audience survey from one, and only one, audience (which makes this very unscientific, I suppose) asked if they found any items used in performance at all suspicious.

Only two people found anything suspicious. They suspected the pencils of being gimmicked to somehow record and play back what they wrote.

Nobody considered the ThoughtScan board to be anything but a paperholder.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
How about this...Can you give your TS Board away at the end of the routine?

Not debating, just demonstrating an extra un-advertised feature...

To be honest, Sebastian could post up a pic...nothing to see there...go to the store...pick any clipboard...same thing...

But alas this is the wrong thread...

Nathan

PS Sebastian does provide a VERY good quality clipboard...
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 20:51, Nathan Pain wrote:
How about this...Can you give your TS Board away at the end of the routine?

Not debating, just demonstrating an extra un-advertised feature...

To be honest, Sebastian could post up a pic...nothing to see there...go to the store...pick any clipboard...same thing...

But alas this is the wrong thread...

Nathan,

So if this is the wrong thread, then why did you post it here? Give me a break. You are debating. Why would you jump onto this thread to state that other than to cause a debate.

Can it be given away? Yes it could. It would be cost prohibitive, but it could.

I got my answers on the other thread. It was clear - as clear as Sebastian's board - that his product wasn't for me and couldn't stand up to the conditions that I perform in. That's fine. I didn't continue. I clarified my answers to your questions.

Again, I asked those questions because Sebastian doesn't have a sales page, no product description and to be honest, I've never heard of him. With ThoughtScan you can see a photo, and for a small investment, you can get a DVD of him performing it and explaining it before you make a larger investment.

So I'll ask you again Nathan - what is the point of your post other than to stir up a debate? If you want to debate the features of each product, I'll give you one and go point-to-point with you about the features and versatility of Richard's product.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
It seems I've ruffled some feathers...you have a good night.

Nathan
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 18:41, Domino Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 17:57, Jay Are wrote:

J

Interesting, it's the attack of the Jay's.

Well you're the first person to say you can use Sebastian's product in the way that I described. When I asked on the other thread, you didn't reply and in fact those who did said that the board wouldn't be a good fit for me. From what I understand, even Sebastian says it has angle problems. But you say no. Hmmmm I have to question that since the workings of the product have been described to me and I fail to see how it's possible.

One other aspect I forgot to mention regarding the features of ThoughtScan (after all, this is a ThoughtScan thread) is can I see all the slips at the same time? I typically am working with about 10 slips at once and before I start feeding back the information, I look at all of the slips at the same time so I can plan my strategy for the routine.

Responding to Iain's comment - when I posted on the thread about Sebastian's product, I over emphasized that I wasn't looking for a debate as to which product was better. I have a way that I like to work and if there is another product that can meet those requirements, I'd like to know about it. It's always good to be versatile. Considering there isn't anywhere to get information about Sebastian's product, all I could do is ask and compare in an open and honest manner.

You can see photos & video of Richard's prop, you can't with Sebastian's. You guys don't know who I am and I don't know who most of you are. I've been burned one too many times by everyone buying into hype on a new product, so I wasn't going to take everyone's word that this is the next best thing.

The way I use the board it is angle proof...

J
xxx
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Nathan,

What did you expect with that post?

On the other thread, you stated:

Quote:
That Banachek post makes me want to buy another one...just for backup.

And on this post you're saying it can be given away and it's just a clipboard. The product comes with instructions on making more gimmicks, then I have to ask you this - why would you buy another one for $125, when it seems that everything could be put together for about $10?

There seems to be a contradiction in your posts.

Quote:
On 2009-05-24 23:58, Jay Are wrote:

The way I use the board it is angle proof...

Well Jay, you're the exception because even the board's creator says it has angle problems. Since the way you use the board isn't part of the product, that's not really a feature. With ThoughtScan, you don't have to work out an alternative handling. It just works that way out of the box. I also have doubts that you can have 10 slips out on the Clearly board and still be surrounded.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Having worked with the Osterlind board for a few years I also have doubts about whether that board is capable of doing that...

anyway...

to each there own.

I like both products.

J
xxx
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-25 00:44, Jay Are wrote:

anyway...

to each there own.

Which is what I tried to say on the other thread, but some of you didn't get it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind thoughtscan board (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL