The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maurice Fogel - In Search of Senstaional - a Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Hello Friends!

EVENTUALLY, I will be able to buy the Fogel book, and I can't wait. I frankly would probably buy it even if it had no effects because lets face it - Fogel is one of the greatest performers in the history of mentalism. I still remember reading the interview he had with Corinda in 13 steps the very first time and thinking - I wonder if this guy wrote a book.

That being said, I was curious about the effects themselves in this book. To those of you who have read it, how are the routines in this book? Is there a lot of good stuff in here that the modern mentalist could use in his act? I would love to hear about specific effects, just to get an idea of what is in the book. I'd especially like to hear about billet work.

Of course, again, I trust the real value in the book is in the insight given about this remarkable performer.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1400 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Yes, there are plenty of routines in the book, including a very detailed description of his billet work. There's also the Houdini Seance routine and two seance cabinets. You also get the full text of "Fogelism". Highly recommended.

Barry
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
685 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
The book contains every effect that he marketed plus just about everything he performed!

The billet material is unsurpassed and everything is just as relevant now as it was when he was performing.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
HI,

in 'Fogelism' Fogel outlines a self hypnosis process. In a review I read of his act, the reviewer gave me the impression he had hypnotized people on stage.

Can you tell me if 'In Search of Sensational' has any further information on Fogel's use or thoughts of hypnosis?

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
685 Posts

'Fogelism' is reproduced verbatim but there is very little reference anywhere else in the book to hypnotism.

I was a Fogel devotee in my early professional years and I saw him perform many times. I have also actually used some of his marketed effects.

I have no knowledge of his ever having performed either genuine or pseudo hypnosis. I don't remember any specific instances, but it is possible that he may have made reference to the subject in the presentation of an effect.

Leslie
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Thanks Leslie.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
This is a great piece of mentalism literature. While the methods and routines may be familiar (for the most part), the tome itself is extremely enjoyable and worthwhile. It is always a joy to study to life and work of a giant of the craft. I don't think any purchaser would be disappointed (with this in mind).

Regards,

Sean
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2821 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I fully agree with Mr. Waters...a tremendous book.

Nathan
Rimark
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Rimark
Hello,
this is my first post on TheMagicCafe.com. Maurice Fogel did indeed perform hypnosis. We have a BBC clip of the performance. The book documents how he learned how to do it and eventually how he incorporated it into his own unique approach in a performance that I witnessed. Incaism was his eventual presentation and it is all discussed in our book. Chris and I thank all who have been so complimentary about the book. It does contain almost 50 performance items. His incredible showmanship and creative thinking is detailed and will inspire any who study it.
Best regards,
Richard Mark
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
685 Posts

Richard Marks has beaten me to it! And I stand corrected.

Further to my earlier comments, I recently had a long telephone conversation with Patrick Page, who knew Fogel as well as anyone, and I asked him.

He told me that Maurice did in fact use hypnotism, although as he recalled, it wasn't presented overtly. He couldn't remember the exact routine but Maurice had told him that if he felt that one or more of the on-stage volunteers seemed susceptible, he would then endeavour to use hypnosis; As Richard explains above, 'Incaism' was probably the routine to which Pat referred.

Maurice was of course one of the great exponents of 'The Electric Chair' routine - later popularised by Paul Daniels. He may perhaps have occasionally attempted some genuine hypnosis there.

Leslie.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Thanks for the info. The book sounds like a gem.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
It is.
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 05:59, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
HI,

in 'Fogelism' Fogel outlines a self hypnosis process. In a review I read of his act, the reviewer gave me the impression he had hypnotized people on stage.

Can you tell me if 'In Search of Sensational' has any further information on Fogel's use or thoughts of hypnosis?

Anthony

Anthony,

Fogel did, in fact, do a hyp act - mostly for audiences at the English holiday camp he worked season after season. On YouTube or somewhere there used to be posted an old promotional film for the holiday camp showing Fogel hypnotizing campers. However, as I recall (I don't have the book in front of me), the Fogel book makes only passing mention of his hyp act (I think the story went that he told them he could do one so he had to quickly dig out the books and learn one) but I don't think it goes into detail.

TT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maurice Fogel - In Search of Senstaional - a Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL