The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Water Boarding in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Well.. most other torture and execution methods have made their way into escapism and magic at one time or another. Now... Jonathan Pendragon unveiled a new illusion in his show at the SAM 100th Annual Salute to Magic which incorporated Water Boarding. READ MORE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Interesting. I could see a sort of "Yogic medium trance" methodology to put this topical idea to the magical test. Very nice thinking on Mr. Pendragon's part.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This routine sounds like it will justify that "out of breath" move that ends most of his routines!
Ray Pierce
Char Pendragon
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Char Pendragon
@Ray, What out of breath move? Jonathan needs no justification to be out of breath...after recovering from the arrow piercing his heart accident, he of course should be out of breath... According to medical professionals he should be dead.

Anyway, the illusion went off flawlessly and much better than expected. Salute to Magic in New York was a perfect place to premier it.

Click here to view attached image.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Hey Char!

lol... I'm not talking about anything recent! BTW Congrats on the new effect, sounds very cool.

I'm talking about the traditional ending pose on most illusions where you pose together and he breathes heavy, even on the opening piece. It's been a trademark since I've known you. It's a good theatrical device and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that the device has been synonymous with the ending pose of many of your illusions. It's a very subtle psychological principal that most wouldn't even be aware of how to use, but I KNOW with Jonathon's background in theater that he knows exactly what he's doing.

When you're doing a television spot on only performing metamorphosis, and you have that ending, there are two options (and again, I'm speaking of when you were both at your peak, whenever you deem that to be), 1 option is that performing something you've done most of your life and have honed to one of the most efficient miracles ever gets you both (who most would consider to be trained athletes) that winded in a very short amount of time... or #2, that with your background in theater and psychology have developed a hook or theatrical device that creates the sense of power and urgency in the audiences mind to elevate the intensity of the moment at the climax of the effect.

Knowing the degree of your athletic ability for years, and Jonathan's understanding of the nuance of performance technique. Most people that really understand theater chose the latter.

Recent years are a different story. lol... as we get older, we're ALL breathing a little heavier! I always say that I'm doing the same things I did when I was 30, it just hurts more now!

take care,

Ray
Ray Pierce
Mike Seege
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mike Seege
I was just wondering... Could someone please tell me what that attached image is?
Thank you.
Mike
Char Pendragon
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Char Pendragon
Thank you Ray - Very good comments..and very perceptive. Mike, it is a pic of Jonathan being water boarded. Hoping to have the video soon!
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2009-05-21 23:55, Char Pendragon wrote:
Thank you Ray - Very good comments..and very perceptive. Mike, it is a pic of Jonathan being water boarded. Hoping to have the video soon!
Thank you for the explanation, Char. My thoughts ran the gamut there for a minute. I thought it might've been some kind of Rorshach test. =)
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Here is the original story for those that missed it when originally posted. Given the amount of time that has passed, it has fallen off the main page:

http://www.linkingpage.com/magicnewsfeed......aib.html
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Water Boarding in Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL