The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind of David Berglas (TV series) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Did anyone have seen this series. I searched on the forum and saw nothing writing about this show. What do you think of it ? I've seen it (5 of 7 episodes) and really like David Berglas performance style and his routines are very inspiring. It's great to finally saw his material performed!

Here the contents of episodes :

Episode #1 :

Telekinesis with metal shim
floating metal shim
floating plastic box in plastic roll
linking metal rings (puzzle)
metal bending (bending coins, twisting spoon, bending fork)
metal bar bending by woman spectator
Breaking the chain
Christmas card prediction finale

Episode #2 :

Te bah pla and name Name discovery
pulse stopping
The Table levitation
Booktest

Episode #3 :

Find the picture that the spectator think of from a pile of pictures
Mathemagic
Quatered Magic Square
to light a bulb, to light a fluorescent tube

Episode #4 :

Gambling theme
Cutting to the same card cuts by spectator
Revealing the card thought by multiples spectators
Predicting the card cuts by spectator
Mixing of chair prediction and ESPacology (like Derren Brown pictures prediction on The System)

Episode #5 :

Prediction of a film
The Blindfold act
The Newspapaer prediction
Drinks prediction
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
916 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Yes, I have. They are great! There is talk of them being re-released...so keep an eye out!

ORAL>
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2512 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I have them but haven't watched the entire series.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Jerskin,

Are they available to buy?

This series was my inspiration back in the day. Way before the other DB. I would love to have them to view again.
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
531 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
I have always wanted a copy of this series. Berglas is pretty much my mentalism hero, so I would love to know if these are around anywhere!
Pete
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1786 Posts

Profile of David Numen
There was a guy selling them on ebay for exhorbitant prices (I think he got more that 70 quid for the set) so there are copies around somewhere. I managed to get a set at a much more reasonable fee and have to say itw as something of an illusion shattered.

I was an eager teen when the series was broadcast and was just gobsmacked by what I saw. Looking at the show thru jaded, adult eyes I can't say it stands up terribly well and Berglas doesn't come across as terribly interesting. Just my opinion.

FWIW, I have the Chan Canasta DVD and despite being 20 odd years older than the Berglas shows and nowhere near as impressive in terms of diversity of effects, it stands up as far far stronger with Chan a much more intriguing persona.
Marcus Nogueira
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
52 Posts

Profile of Marcus Nogueira
I've always heard stories about Chan Canasta. Has anyone read the biography that was written a while back on him? Is it worth a buy?
Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K Chesterton
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18685 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its s remarkable book, about a remarkable man...fantastic in my opinion...(and the little black and silver covered follow on booklet too)...
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
582 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
It is just a great show - David Berglas is a genius, and you can see that on this serie...
JJS
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I agree with the comments about Chan Canasta and David Berglas. They are my all time favorites. They both transcended any "bounds" placed on them. They are iconoclasts.

I have seen the series and it is wonderful to watch David and I also have watched the "Chan Canasta-special", which was a joy to behold. Chan's true command of human nature and predicting choices has always inspired me. He was scorned for his willingness to fail, but when he hit.... whew!

Sean
richpoyle
View Profile
Regular user
UK
116 Posts

Profile of richpoyle
Don't tell anyone but some kind soul has uploaded episodes to Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/joepc#p/u/7/0htnkl78ceo

Still working my way through them. I too, have fond memories of these programmes. Watching them now they do seem a little creaky at times, but some of the routines are still incredible (check out the "chair routine" in Episode 4.)

Berglas often seems ill-at-ease when chatting with his stellar guests but when performing, he really comes alive.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5378 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have episodes 1 - 5. Would love to see the remaining episodes!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5132 Posts

Profile of Amirá
WOW! that's videos are GOLD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpMeT5LTRs

watch the last prediction!
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2038 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 22:55, Amirá wrote:
watch the last prediction!

Agreed. Reading about it is one thing, but actually seeing it done is a whole different kind of lesson.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
412 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Awesome, thanks for the link! I've always wanted to watch this series.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Canasta IMHO was more ruthless than Berglas but both of them were very astute and well ahead of their times. Berglas also realised that spending a great fortune in some special "devices" would puzzle even the most knowledgeable magicians. And ,you bet, he succeeded!

I remember (of course not word by word but in principle) that Cassidy mentioned the need to realise that magicians/mentalists usually watch a show (even a stage one) and if you make them lose their smile, their friends notice this and your performance becomes miraculous!

All of them great teachers.
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Cannot believe that these are available to watch. Absolutely exquisite! Brings back lots of memories and the detail given to some of the routines are absolutely amazing!

Lot's to learn from and enjoy.

It's even better watching them now as an adult when I can appreciate the work that has gone into the show.

Let's hope these are allowed to stay online. They are a joy to behold Smile
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
In episode #1, I love how Christopher Lee talks about how what Berglas is displaying is power that he believes all of us have. Then Ingid Pitt asks "Is it concentration that does it?" Berglas replies...

"Not really. In my case it's a little know-how, a little trickery and a little thought control. It's a mixture."

Nice answer.
Snags
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Snags
How on earth does he make a spectator bend a metal bar? I am vexed I can not imagine how this is done.
She is not a stooge. I do not get this.
Sleight of Hand
vigi
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of vigi
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 20:48, Snags wrote:
How on earth does he make a spectator bend a metal bar? I am vexed I can not imagine how this is done.
She is not a stooge. I do not get this.

It's all smoke and mirrors, Snags... Smile

Seriously, it's just pre***w.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mind of David Berglas (TV series) (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL