The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gambler´s Marked Deck by Boris Wild (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5109 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Wow, this extreme special deck of cards must be very useful for any card worker, read info and you will put this on a wishlist:

http://boriswild.com/magicshop_gmd.html

Marked + Stripped + Stacked!
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Gee! Someone has updated the Deland Deck from years ago. It was marked + stripped + stacked and sold for a lot less.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Boris Wilds marking system is very slick and very good.
Different.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Just don't use this type of marked cards for knowledgeable people or in a game.....you will be nailed...it is VERY easy to discover this type of mark if you use the "gambler's riffle test".

Great for magic and most audiences.
Long Island,

New York
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Let them examine a normal deck first, then do a "invisible" deck switch before the actual game. Unfair advantage - sure.
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Quote:
On 2009-05-21 06:00, Kjellstrom wrote:
Let them examine a normal deck first, then do a "invisible" deck switch before the actual game. Unfair advantage - sure.

Of course it's an advantage, but only if you're playing cards against muppets.

A stripper deck being handled, shuffled and dealt by the other players ....!!! Not to mention all the other stuff which wouldn't fly.

You are not serious are you ...?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
How can the deck be advertised as 'stacked'? Isn't that a function of how YOU order the cards and not an innate property of the card? Someone please enlighten me.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

I suspect they pre-stack the cards in some pre-determined order....technically, "new deck order" is also a stack. Therefore, I too bought a "stacked" deck in my local drug store !
Long Island,

New York
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Got it. That makes sense. Are there any other bicycle backed stripped and marked cards on the market?

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Not quite accurate.

In the case of the Gamblers Marked Deck , there are additional indicators on the backs of each card which, by reading them on the top card of the stacked deck, will give you an indication of the value of other cards in other positions in the stack in addition to the card that you're looking at on top of the deck.

There are other aspects to this particular deck which make it somewhat unique......useless outside of magic tricks, (and nothing to do with gambling) but a unique deck nonetheless.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Is there anywhere (cheaper) in the US to buy them? I just went to Boris Wild's site and with shipping you're looking at roughly $70--too steep for a marked deck.

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-27 15:44, Steven Keyl wrote:
Is there anywhere (cheaper) in the US to buy them? I just went to Boris Wild's site and with shipping you're looking at roughly $70--too steep for a marked deck.

WOW...$70. You can get a decent quality pre-marked Juice or Luminous deck for about the same money...
Long Island,

New York
haroldross
View Profile
New user
Walthill, Nebraska
30 Posts

Profile of haroldross
I bought one of these decks a couple of years ago in Las Vegas. I rarely use them any more except as a novelty. I still prefer an old Deland's deck. I have a few that were printed in Belgium and are not stripped. Great quality compared to the newer Deland cards that are printed in Taiwan. I used to use marked decks quite a bit but as I became more confortable with controlling cards I started to not use them.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
423 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I have been using the Gambler's Marked Deck and I like it, but I have worsening vision so I am exploring new systems. Can someone tell me if the Boris Wild deck uses the same system as my G.M.D.? I hate to buy it just to find out the 2 decks are exactly the same as far as readability. When I say "system" I only mean the card value and suit, not concerned with any of the other features of the G.M.D. that I know are not part of the Boris Wild deck.

Thanks for any help,
Alan
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2123 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
This deck is still on the market, at a price point of around $33. See the official product page.

It reminds me a lot of Andy Nyman's "The Code" in terms of what it can do: being able to identify the card above and below a cut card, and identify its position in the stack.

But it doesn't use the Mnemonica Stack, is that correct? In place I read that it uses something called the "Erdnase Stack", which I'm not familiar with at all.

Since it came out already in 2009, it does pre-date Andy Nyman's "The Code", which came out in 2013. Any reason why this hasn't been getting more buzz, considering how big a splash The Code made when it first came out, and later Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck?

Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Any reason why this hasn't been getting more buzz....

The cards backs contain far too many markings, making the marks easy to spot ... that's why it's not been getting more buzz.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2181 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The Gambler's Deck uses the Eight Kings stack.

This deck was originally available in Rider Back, but then later was switched to Maiden back when USPCC disallowed marking the Rider Back.
Kevin Reylek
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2123 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2021, Mr. Bones wrote:
The cards backs contain far too many markings, making the marks easy to spot ... that's why it's not been getting more buzz.

But the same criticism could be mentioned about Andy Nyman's The Code (Theory11) and Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck (Vanishing Inc).

Yes they do have extra markings, which increases the risk of getting caught. But that's largely about audience management. And by incorporating a marked deck with a stacked deck, and being able to identify the location in a stack, cards above and below the stack etc, all from the extra markings, you get an incredibly powerful deck. It's why so many people have raved about The Code and The Marksman Deck, despite all the additional markings. They've had many, many positive reviews, and many magicians here at The Magic Café love them. It seems to me that the Gambler's Deck from Houdini Magic does exactly the same thing, but just uses the Eight Kings stack (thanks Kevin).

If you're just looking for a straight marked Bicycle deck, I agree this is not the one to get given the higher price ($30+) and extra marks. Then my recommended choice is easily Penguin Magic's Marked Cards, which are clear readers that use Maiden Backs, come with excellent tutorials, and at a very affordable price. But if you want something that incorporates markings for a stack, like highly praised The Code and the Marksman Deck, the Gamblers Deck seems to do exactly the same thing, doesn't it?

In fact, given that it came out in 2009 already, it even seems to pre-date those. I'm just surprised it's flown under the radar, because it seems to be able to do pretty much exactly what those decks do. Perhaps it just didn't have the same marketing engine along with it, because The Code and the Marksman Deck had the benefit of being released and promoted heavily by Theory11 and Vanishing Inc?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Maybe folks just didn't like what they saw when they looked at the deck?

Often, released effects simply don't hit the mark for consumers, and they die on the vine for no reason other than people didn't like them.
As to "why" people may not have liked them ... short of some sort of canvasing those who weren't taken by any particular effect ... we'll never really know.
It's probably not that important - and there are lots of "other" options when it comes to a marked deck.

The most effective deck will always be one you mark yourself, using any number of methods, on any number of different back styles.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gambler´s Marked Deck by Boris Wild (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL