The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gambler´s Marked Deck by Boris Wild (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2181 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The magic community was not really the target market for this deck. Houdini's had retail shops all over Vegas, and probably other cities as well. These were made to be pitched to the lay public. AFAIK Houdini's really never put any marketing effort into reaching more experienced magicians.

In addition to the already-mentioned Gambler's, Code, and Marksman Decks, there is also the SUM deck by Roy Johnson, currently available on Phoenix backs as a 2.0 version. All of these decks take core ideas that were around well over 100 years ago (check out several of DeLand's decks) and each put their own twist on it.

A marked & stacked deck is an incredibly powerful tool - which version you use just comes down to personal preference.

As for whichever one gets talked about most by magicians... who cares?
Kevin Reylek
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2123 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2021, Mercury52 wrote:
The magic community was not really the target market for this deck. Houdini's had retail shops all over Vegas, and probably other cities as well. These were made to be pitched to the lay public. AFAIK Houdini's really never put any marketing effort into reaching more experienced magicians.

In addition to the already-mentioned Gambler's, Code, and Marksman Decks, there is also the SUM deck by Roy Johnson, currently available on Phoenix backs as a 2.0 version. All of these decks take core ideas that were around well over 100 years ago (check out several of DeLand's decks) and each put their own twist on it.

A marked & stacked deck is an incredibly powerful tool - which version you use just comes down to personal preference.

As for whichever one gets talked about most by magicians... who cares?

Good post and great points Kevin. Thanks also for sharing some of the background about this particular deck.

To respond to your final question, I think there is an answer to that: creators. For performers, I agree: who cares what gets buzz and what doesn't. You find what works for you and go with that.

But the selling of magic is a commercial business, and at the end of the day it's about making a dollar. So you'd think that the creators of the Gambler's Marked Deck by Houdini may have missed an opportunity here.

Basically they've been produced something since 2009 that others produced later which was effectively along the same lines (admittedly using the old Deland principle, but in new clothes). And those later products made quite a splash in the magic industry when they hit the market, have generated a lot of attention and sales, and have been hailed for being somewhat groundbreaking and powerful. And meanwhile the same thing has already been available from Houdini for longer, but is just less known commercially.

This isn't a crediting issue, since as you say this is an old principle. But it's purely a commercial observation. Perhaps if more people actually knew about the Gambler's Marked Deck from Houdini, it would have had more buzz. And when Andy Nyman's The Code and Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck came out, more people would have been making a comparison with the deck from Houdini. I'm just trying to figure out why reviews of The Code and the Marksman Deck say nothing about the Gambler's Marked Deck, and the only explanation I can come up with is: They simply didn't know about it.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2181 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I agree - I think most magicians were just unaware of it. And for sure, my 'who cares' comment was more geared to the typical user of the Café. Far more performers & hobby magicians here than creators/sellers.

As you know, I'm very aware of the business side of magic & cards - it's been my full time day job for nearly a decade.

One could argue that selling to the public and not to magicians was anything but a misstep by Houdini's. It is often far more lucrative to sell anything to the general public rather than a niche industry. There are far more impulse-buying tourists passing through Vegas every year than there are dedicated magicians.

I was also surprised, particularly when the Code came out, that there wasn't more mention of prior work. Not that the Code didn't deserve praise, it's a great product. Just goes to show that our secrets aren't always quite as 'out there' as we think they are.
Kevin Reylek
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2123 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2021, Mercury52 wrote:
One could argue that selling to the public and not to magicians was anything but a misstep by Houdini's. It is often far more lucrative to sell anything to the general public rather than a niche industry. There are far more impulse-buying tourists passing through Vegas every year than there are dedicated magicians.

That is a very, very good point. Well said.
eddini
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of eddini
For your money, the best "brick" of marked cards is Penguin's marked deck.

ED, [Eddini]
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2021, eddini wrote:
For your money, the best "brick" of marked cards is Penguin's marked deck.

ED, [Eddini]

I agree with Penguins marked deck it has been the easiest for me to use.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Since it came out already in 2009, it does pre-date Andy Nyman's "The Code", which came out in 2013. Any reason why this hasn't been getting more buzz, considering how big a splash The Code made when it first came out, and later Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck?

I think SUM Deck pre-date them all (in 2002?)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gambler´s Marked Deck by Boris Wild (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL