We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nope, not going to take one! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Fostering animals for several years, I always get emergency calls from agencies begging me to take at least one more. The SPCA animal often gives me those that need long term recovery, cats with broken jaws, pelvis, or a broken limb. Another SPCA usually ask that I take senior pets which are low on the adoption list at any shelter and those that are recovering from Upper Respitory (kitty flu). Then there's the feral kittens that usually need socialization. Nothing warms your heart than wrapping a tiny 8 wk old kitten in a towel with only the head sticking out while it hisses and snarls at you. One must hold them and pet their heads until they eventually become use to the human touch and become adoptable. Other agencies frequently call, and each animal has their own hard luck story so as a result I have a housefull that await their forever homes. I sometimes adopt them myself if all avenues have been exhausted and no one wants that particular animal.

I once booked the entire afternoon at a clinic to have them all microchipped. All of them are spayed/neutered, including the bunnies. Amazingly all of them get along, dogs, cats, bunnies and other smaller creatures. Even, Snoop the Pit Bull has learned not to rock the boat at the Ark.

Last week, I received a call that one of my long term senior fosters. Someone wanted her and could I please stop in at the SPCA and return her? Yeah!!! My b/f and I discussed this previously and we agreed that we needed a bit of a respite from fostering. "No more room at the inn". we said.

We return the cat and the SPCA staff beg us to take one senior who has been in their care for some time and is not recovering as fast as they'd like. They always do better in a home environment. Animals in a shelter never really do well considering the stress they are under. Could we please just take that one? Of course we don't even look at each other to discuss it . The recovery room is for those that have had URI which normally is not that serious in healthy adult cats. It's just like a cold in humans but seniors, kittens and those animals under stress are more prone to having it turn into pneumonia.

A mournful meow pierces the air when we enter and we both gravitate towards the sound. Awww we instantly fall in love and again without discussion we both tell the staff, "okay we'll take him". "No not that one, they tell us - the other cat, Peaches, has been here since Dec..she'd have to go first." Can you take 2? Okay we say, without discussion or hesitation.

Another staff person comes out and sees the two we have chosen. Oh, but Smoke has been here longer than Jamal and Peaches...it's not fair that they get to go to a foster home before her. Can you take 3?
Okay, we say again and so much for our much discussed plans that under no circumstance were we to go home with another foster. We really did stick to our guns...we didn't take one....but took three.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
You're the best, Chrystal.

Ron
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey C! You would be proud of us. We had a neighbor with a pit boxer mix that she just chained to a tree on a short leader or let it run around the area. She didn't feed or water it so I ended up going over and doing that most the time. She split for a week and I called her and asked who was watching the dog and she said "he'll be fine, I'll be back in a week" so I took it to my house where it played with the bassett. When she got back my wife and I went to talk to her about the dog because it was real thin and just sat around listening to Sarah McLaughlin CDs all day. I said "we worry about the dog" and she said "then take him". So now we have a happy new dog and his ribs are not showing any longer and he has been neutered and licensed! If I can now get him to stop eating the furntiture I'll be set.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks Ron for those kind words!

MagicSanta!!! I'm so proud of you! I always said you had a big heart and you just proved it! Loved your story and that dog is lucky to have found someone that was watching over him. Keep me posted as to he is doing. What's the pup's name?

Chrystal
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
You dog lovers are all good people.

Quote:
On 2009-05-24 15:56, MagicSanta wrote:

my wife and I went to talk to her about the dog because it was real thin and just sat around listening to Sarah McLaughlin CDs all day. I said "we worry about the dog"

"listening to Sarah McLaughlin CDs"

I'd be worried too.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The Sarah McLaughlin reference was because she does the Humane Society commercials here.

The dogs original name was Loco but I felt it was a bad name so we changed it to Loki after that Norse mythic character. It is close to Loco so he had no problems shifting names. I did have the pound change him from a pit bull mix to a boxer mix because if they catch a pit they put it down but not a boxer. It is pretty clear he is a pit but he is so nice the pound went with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nope, not going to take one! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL