We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Diet of Worms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The Diet of Worms ended 488 years ago today with the following edict from Emporer Charles V:

"For this reason we forbid anyone from this time forward to dare, either by words or by deeds, to receive, defend, sustain, or favor the said Martin Luther. On the contrary, we want him to be apprehended and punished as a notorious heretic, as he deserves, to be brought personally before us, or to be securely guarded until those who have captured him inform us, whereupon we will order the appropriate manner of proceeding against the said Luther. Those who will help in his capture will be rewarded generously for their good work."

An auspicious anniversary.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I'm a Luther fan. It's funny, as my kids, when they were first learning about him, would confuse him with Martin Luther King, Jr!

This year is also, I believe, the 500th anniversary of the birth of the French reformer, Jean Calvin, also known as John Calvin, one of the most accomplished theologians who ever lived.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Oooh, thanks for the heads up. July 9 2009 will indeed be Calvin's 500th birthday.

(And for lovers of philosophy and comic books, Thomas Hobbes turned 421 on April 5.)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Atta boy Luther!

(three karma points for anyone who 'gets' that)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ghost and Mr. Chicken!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Diet of Worms (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL