The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Magician on John & Kate Plus 8 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 11:41, Loual4 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 08:29, ryansmagic wrote:
I only got to see a glimpse of the guy, that was at the begining of the show. I have not seen the performance yet.

I live very close in Jon and Kate, in Pennsylvania. I have no idea who the guy is. He is not a member of our local IBM or SAM, nor does he frequent out local magic shop. Most likely TLC hired him to be part of the show.....

That glimpse you had is all there is to see. When I say he was on the show for about 20 seconds, I mean that literally! That is why I am so impressed by all of our "professionnal friends" on the Café who speak badly about him. I guess they got to see him perform elsewhere to be able to judge him so harsly. I believe you might be right about TLC hiring him directly, because Jon and Kate sure did not look like if they knew anything about him...

That being said, maybe he is a bad magician... I sure can't tell from what I saw... But that is just me.

Louis Jutras

Like I said I did not see that 20 seconds of him performing.

It's possible the guy is hardly a magician at all. He could be an "actor" of sorts hired by TLC. The other thing that makes me suspect that TLC hired him is that he apparently signed a release to be on the show. It was probably easier for the production staff to hire someone they know who will sign a release then trying to find a qualified performer from the local area that might not want to sign a release.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Ryan, I agree with you 100%.

Also, my personnal experience with television show tapings is that you know when to get to the set, but you have no idea when you are going to be on. Add to that the fact that the show was outside, rain was in the forecast... If I had to wait a couple of hours in the rain in my tuxedo, I know one thing for sure: some of my equipment, including the tux, would have been thrown in the trash afterwards... Some things do not take to being drench too well.

Again, there are a lot of details that we know nothing about...
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
By the way, I think the release form is standard practice. If you want them to use footage that include you, you have to give them permission.

Have a nice day!
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXQe-HLgHBs

Here is a youtube link.

No one in our area knows whos the guy is, and we have a pretty close group of magicians and performers in the area.

All I can say, is....
I would not show up to that type of gig not dressed. I mean where do you change? your car? that's not creepy.
I do not work with animals, but don't think it would be wise to let a rabbit on a table alone with kids swarming around it.

For those of you who do use rabbits. Do you put them in the cage infront of the kids to leave. Wouldn't it be better to cary the rabbit to the car and put him in the cage out of view of the kids?
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
The rabbit sure was in a hurry to get in the cage.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Right after the girl finally remembered the 3 of clubs as her card, there is a little boy, who is very vocal, that pretty much summed up everything...
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
Quote:
For those of you who do use rabbits. Do you put them in the cage infront of the kids to leave. Wouldn't it be better to cary the rabbit to the car and put him in the cage out of view of the kids?

I know I was horrified at the treatment of the rabbit. I use Wolf's Funhouse to produce my rabbit, and then at the end use the Funhouse as a cage to get the rabbit to the van. Never had a problem.

But I would never let the children alone with the rabbit. I usually hold the rabbit and get the kids in a line to one by one pet the bunny. I would never let my rabbit alone, especially with 5 year old's.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
This guy got a gig on tv. Not too many birthday magicians can say that.

Plus they didn't show the whole magic show, so it's unfair to bash him.

I think overall it's a good thing for birthday magicians. More exposure.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I live about 30 miles from John & Kate and like Ryan I never saw that guy before. I think that he is a ringer.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Well I'm glad someone posted that link so I could see this guy; I was expecting something MUCH worse.

Still, I just can't believe he showed up to this gig chewing gum and wearing a sweat shirt and baseball hat. And if you look close, it appears he wore his tennis shoes for the whole show. Certainly not a professional, imo, but I've seen worse.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 13:00, ralphdean wrote:
The rabbit sure was in a hurry to get in the cage.

I don't see how that rabbit fit in that carrier! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
It must have been a dog carrier Smile

do a google search for "Flemish Giant" - what a great gimmick, if you have the room Smile

looks like I'll need a bigger hat!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I must say, after the snipit with the magician my wife looked at me and said, "Are you kidding me??? you should be charging a lot more for your shows."

Mike Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Magician on John & Kate Plus 8 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL