The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Contracts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Since this topic is about birthdays, my comments only go with that, birthdays.

I as many have already said do a confirmation letter. I think the word contract can scare people and that is not what I am in business to do. You can treat a birthday like a corp. show. Yes in a company type show they expect a contract, and it is more money you are getting.

I send a letter of confirmation along with a letter that I revised from T Myres book. In this letter I simply states thing to make the party better. I know they read this letter because things I mention are typically done, like have the dog put up since I have a live rabbit.

On a different note. I DON"T take deposits for birthdays. I know that is going against what most do. I typically don't do what the crowd is doing. I don't take them for one, most of the shows are word of mouth, they want the ken scott show and most are not shopping are around. Two, I used to take deposits but it was extra office work I had to deal with. third andmost important, I feel with a deposit it is much easier for a birthday mom to cancel. If she does not send the $$$ then the party is a NO go. So with that she never has to call you on the phone. So with not taken deposits (AND THIS IS FOR ME IMPO, this will not work for everyone)a mom has to call me to cancel. So they have to make the effort and call. And I tell you I don't get a lot of canceled parties I mean I can count them on one hand for 15 years. I have 6 bounced checks in 15 years. Call it lucky!

I want the family to have a great experience with the Ken Scott show. I am not going to hold their money if they have to cancel. Sure it puts a hole in my calander that I could have booked something else. BUT I make a big deal to them about keeping their money,AND even though I am RIGHT, I would still look like the bad guy. They will BAD mouth you to people the know or even people they meet. You know if they have to cancel chances are they are going to use me again.

So Confirmation letter NO CONTRACT. At the end make it easy for them to book you. The mom simply wants to know that you are going to be at the party. Their concern is they are gonig to have 20 kids and they are not going to know what to do with them if YOU don't show up.

Best
Ken
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I think this is a regional issue .I am from NYC and most people don't trust anybody.So a contract or conformation letter does make most customers feel more relaxed in that they will not get forgotten or ripped off My business partner has lived in the south and just a ok I will be their is fine for most people from that area
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ken Scott's approach is the most sensible I have seen. And as he says, very few cancellations in 15 years. I have also had very few cancellations in fifteen years (no deposits) and no bounced cheques. Parents just want reassurance you will be there, and a confirmation letter or e-mail will suffice.
Big companies are a different matter. But that's not what this thread is discussing.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 20:26, TonyB2009 wrote:
Ken Scott's approach is the most sensible I have seen. And as he says, very few cancellations in 15 years. I have also had very few cancellations in fifteen years (no deposits) and no bounced cheques. Parents just want reassurance you will be there, and a confirmation letter or e-mail will suffice.
Big companies are a different matter. But that's not what this thread is discussing.

Ditto and Ditto
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
For me, it depends on the client. If its someone I have worked with before, know, trust, or its just short notice, I forgo the contract. Otherwise, I will often send one out.

FYI, here are some common reasons I have heard for people canceling Birthday Parties:

Child is sick
Many of the child's friends are sick
Parent called out of town on business
Child has decided to do something else
Weather

Better to be prepared. Also, I have had parents mention that they appreciate the contract, because it shows a commitment on MY part. (I tell them that they have my legal promise to be there even if I get a call for a $1000 gig). This can create trust and allow the client to relax, knowing the entertainment is covered.

Just my (current) opinion!
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 18:49, kenscott wrote:
<---snip--->
On a different note. I DON"T take deposits for birthdays. I know that is going against what most do. I typically don't do what the crowd is doing. I don't take them for one, most of the shows are word of mouth, they want the ken scott show and most are not shopping are around. Two, I used to take deposits but it was extra office work I had to deal with. third andmost important, I feel with a deposit it is much easier for a birthday mom to cancel. If she does not send the $$$ then the party is a NO go. So with that she never has to call you on the phone. So with not taken deposits (AND THIS IS FOR ME IMPO, this will not work for everyone)a mom has to call me to cancel. So they have to make the effort and call. And I tell you I don't get a lot of canceled parties I mean I can count them on one hand for 15 years. I have 6 bounced checks in 15 years. Call it lucky!

I want the family to have a great experience with the Ken Scott show. I am not going to hold their money if they have to cancel. Sure it puts a hole in my calander that I could have booked something else. BUT I make a big deal to them about keeping their money,AND even though I am RIGHT, I would still look like the bad guy. They will BAD mouth you to people the know or even people they meet. You know if they have to cancel chances are they are going to use me again.
<---snip--->

I personally take a nominal deposit ($50.00) only to ensure the party is a serious inquiry. I've had instances where I was told to hold the date and everyone was so excited to see the show and then when calling to confirm a few days before they either decided to go with someone else or the party was canceled and they no longer needed the service. (never caring to tell me of their change in plans)

All of the deposits I accept are fully refundable and I state the same on my "Agreement". I have never kept a dime if I didn't do the show and that is in the same line of thinking as Ken. I would hate to be badmouthed over a few dollars.
Troy_Roark
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Troy_Roark
B-day party contract? Absolutely.

Keep in mind, the point of a contract is for information AND protection for both parties. Example: Let's say someone slips on something you left on the staging area and ends up in the hospital. Did your letter of confirmation protect you at all? Yeah, a lot of simple contracts don't really hold much legal weight, but it's better than nothing.

More likely, let's say you have car issues on the way to the show, or the event is a rain out. What happens then? With nothing in writing, who knows? But if you have something signed by both parties that describes the agreed upon remedy, then everyone is on the same page from the beginning.

It's not about about being intimidating, it's about being thorough. A contract is advantageous for both parties involved.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I started doing a "performance agreement" a while back.

Why?

People/clients want it just as much if not more that I do, as it protects both parties. In most cases, they don't know me from the wall, and want to make sure I show up and do what I am supposed to do.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
A quote from a clent yesterday

I was travelling 3 hours to this gig.

She considered calling me a few hours before the gig to make sure, but then "You were so thorough and laid everything out, I knew I didn't have to worry about anything."

Yes contracts/agreement are for the protection of both parties. Mine also state that if I cannot perform I will find somebody else of equal or greater value (at no extra cost to them).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Contracts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL