The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Where to start? Fiber Optics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Naked Magician
View Profile
New user
Ashford, Kent
59 Posts

Profile of The Naked Magician
So I have finally decided to learn how to do some close-up rope magic, but I have no idea what books etc to go for. Fiber Optics looks good, but apparently its very hardto learn? So can anyone suggest a good book for a newbie to rope, or a really great routine for close-up.
Thanks all,
Tom
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Fiber optics isn't hard to learn, sleight wise it's not that hard at all.

like any effect it requires you to learn the routine which you can change to your preference, but honestly think fiber optics is within anyone's reach
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Rather "acrobatic" for a newbie. You need to master any cut and restored, and/or prof. nightmare. I suggest trying to find George Sands rope effects, since most of Fiber optics came from that.
Daryl has a myriad of rope to choose from.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Daryl's three rope DVDs will give you a base, and of course several good rope magic books, do a search in this forum on books and you will get a good sized list. Ian's Dances with Ropes has some good stuff on it. Plenty of material out there for starters, Tabray and Fiber Optic, I'd hold on those a bit until you (pardon the pun) learn the ropes.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
All of our Wiz Kids get their start on the Wiz Kid Rope Magic DVD, which gives them a basic knowledge of rope effects and knots they can use immediately while they continue to build a routine. It's on their site and all proceeds go to this non-profit group: http://www.wizkidzinc.com
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Naked... uh, since you live in the U.K., I would seek out Pat Page's material on rope work. Stay away from the complex stuff. I find the simple stuff plays best for laymen as it has a simpler plot and they can follow what's going on. With things like Tabary and Fiber Optics there is, IMHO, just too much complex stuff going on for lay audiences.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Fiber Optics is good you may have to vary the rope lengths a little to suit you. The hardest part is rememberimng it mover for move, not actually performing it. When you get it down it looks like real magic.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
That's the differnce between learning a routine and
learning techniques.
You must learn the mechanics of rope magic first
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I think fiber optics, isn't too complicated at all, it's a routine that's visually astonishing, tabary is nice, but fiber optics is a lot more eye candy.

Granted it's performed rather quickly on the dvd, but that style, if anything else it gives you some nice moves.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Agreed.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
192 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
I'd start with Pat Page's secret seminar on ropes, then move on to L&L's world's greatest magic dvd on rope magic. Both of them are real bargains under 20 bucks...(and you get Pat Page's paper magic thrown in for free...).

But you could start with Fiber optics--I'd just suggest you don't try to learn the whole return at once. Just start with the Prof. Nightmare part first and you'll be fine.

Between the three of them its all you'll ever need...

-Rob
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Dances with ropes and/or my rope lecture. Basic professors nightmare with a twist.
I still suggest getting Daryl on ropes and then select one of the 100 or so effects.
BTW, fiber optics is George Sands on steroids.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Another approach. Get Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope tricks books. And set your own creative juice flowing. Who knows, you might come up with something unique and you can call "YOUR OWN".
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Best idea yet.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Pete you are so right! I added a rope routine to my act that I thought was going to play great. It was a combination of effects from Tabary and Sanders (fiber optics). Too much is happening for a lay audience to appreciate it.

Simple is best.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2263 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I think we have to understand the reasons for routines like this to learn how to utilize them well and what to take from them.

In an opening routine, your goal is frequently just to show a series of effects that serve to cement your competence (or in the best case scenario your "mastery of the craft") in the audiences mind. It's a time for you to "show off" a little and establish credibility which hooks the audience for the rest of the show. Typically I use a series of short simple effects chained to provide a slight overload of magic, all done to music so as not to distract with verbal banter or witty repartee. I purposely don't want to let the magic sink in too much in the opening as I want them to be inundated with a whirlwind of effects without giving them too much time to dissect anything.

Fiber Optics could be well utilized in this position. I literally want them to be a little dizzy after the opening so I can guide them where I need them to go for the remainder of the show and this routine looks like it can serve this function.

Now for most routines I want to focus on strong magic... in other words selling each nuance of an effect so the audience truly appreciates the impossibility of what I'm doing. In the words of the old preacher, "I tells 'em what I'm going to tell 'em, then I tell 'em, then I tells 'em what I told 'em." It's a very clear and focused path reinforcing the strength of the magic arc and helping them to apparently back up each step with facts which serves to short circuit the senses not by overload as in the first routine, but by circumnavigating the secret so well that reconstruction of the actual method is impossible. For this section, the flow of Fiber Optics would suffer.

It's just a matter of knowing how to use each tool in the tool box.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
AlanSands
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of AlanSands
I am re-releasing my father's rope routines in a book / dvd combo set. It will be available on August 30th when I lecture at the Magic Castle. "George Sands Ropes". The book contains seven routines including Ropesational and Sandsational Ropes. But, you are correct in your suggestion that getting "the encyclopedia of Ropes" and doing something original is a great way to go ... that's what my dad did in the 40's ...

Click here to view attached image.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 00:55, AlanSands wrote:
I am re-releasing my father's rope routines in a book / dvd combo set. It will be available on August 30th when I lecture at the Magic Castle. "George Sands Ropes". The book contains seven routines including Ropesational and Sandsational Ropes. But, you are correct in your suggestion that getting "the encyclopedia of Ropes" and doing something original is a great way to go ... that's what my dad did in the 40's ...

Its about time Allan, I have been plugging your Dad's work for years. The DVD is a great addition.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 00:55, AlanSands wrote:

I'll echo that.. excellent news
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1305 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Ages ago when I started to look at rope stuff I got a lot of advice from the café. I ended up getting Abbott's Encyclopaedia of Rope tricks first of then fibre optics the slowly got Darlys 3 DVDs.

This source as severed me well. Its not only a huge pile of different effects but also different ways of doing the same thing. I also like the idea that its all the moves and only a few routines this gave me lot of space to find what works for me. I don't have anything I do I would say is original but what ido is very me and personalised. Pieces I use regularly are,
- A single rope routine with a ring rotine added (Fibre optics mainly)
Coat escape (Abbots but visaul helped from Daryl)
Shoe lace and finger ring (Darly)
Various little ring and rope tricks and other stuff I just add as extras (from all 3)

I love rope magic and there is so much you can do. Get a few resouces and lots of rope and play.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Where to start? Fiber Optics? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL