The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Where to start? Fiber Optics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
I think it will be easier to follow the original routine on the DVD
DustinF
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DustinF
I highly recommend Fiber Optics. It was one of the first DVDs I got on rope magic. Sanders is a very good teacher so it was easy to follow.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 04:00, MarvinWang wrote:
I think it will be easier to follow the original routine on the DVD

I just picked up a copy of the "extended" effect, and found it much easier to absorb the original material than this extended version. The extra moves were pleasant, but not earth-shattering and, as by Sanders own admission, the effects came from older sources from the 80's. Don't get me wrong, they are creative and putting "OPW" (other people's work) together with the Fiber Optics effect works well, but the menus and submenus on the new DVD made for a very awkward presentation of the routines.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
JasonNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
20 Posts

Profile of JasonNYC
Magicians has a good point about the extended version and the extended menu. I do however like the mouth and tie on moves to add the knot once it has been removed. Other than that, nothing "earth shattering." The original routine is wonderful though and I also agree that Richard has put together a great dvd.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I have only tried the Fibre Optics extended DVD and must say that I found it easy to follow and learn, I may not do any original moves for a while but I do try to do them in an original style and I think that is Sanders great gift on this DVD.He is really entertaining.
I also like Ray Pierce's thoughts on where in the routine it is used.This makes a lot of sense to me.
I also am starting to work as a magic clown and this type of routine fits really well as I can get things "wrong" in a very magical and pacy way and my character still ends up being funny and magical at the same time.
JasonNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
20 Posts

Profile of JasonNYC
Regarding children and this routine:

Kids LOVE this routine but the younger set (say five and under) don't seem to get it. FO bends reality in a very visual way and for a four year old, reality is already bent enough as everything is magical so the FO moves don't seem to register. Better off doing straight forward rope tricks with simple concepts and counting like stiff rope and rope with 4 ends for the younger set. JMHO.

On the other hand...Adults and older kids freak out and jaws drop!
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Fiber Optics is outstanding. There are a lot of great moves, well taught. I'm learning this to have a routine. The problem with most of the books, or Daryl's DVD (which I also have, also excellent) is that they present individual 'tricks'. While you do ultimately want to be following your inspired imagination, it's good to have a good base routine like Fiber Optics to have ready.

At least that's my thinking . . .
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
As Jason says... kids of 5 and under have little concept of what's astonishing..a coin from the ear IS - cut and restored rope isn't - unless you tie a story (i.e. 3 bears) with it..and then.. they're not marvelling at the apparent magic.. they're listening to the story..now.. 7 year olds are savvy enough for c/r.. s long as theyr'e involved.

I think Sandsational ropes will work with any age, any place, any time. I WANT it! Fibre Optics is way too complex for kids. Great for adults....Came across this thread while looking for info on it. $60 bucks is a lot for a book and DVD, compared to what else is out there. But hey! It wasn't that long ago I was questioning the $300 price tags on a set of cups... and now I have about 10 sets..
Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I am going to be specific here.
-----------
I just watched extended again (still tough to navigate), and I just watched it all.

I saw John Cornelious moves (sanders acknowledges), then he does many sandational moves (which he says he picked up by watching guys from the 80's).

I feel, that there are enough cool moves to intertwine in a Sands routine. I will say, tho, that
when I do Sanders moves, I can't see it as his routine.
It is a super combination of my favorite rope artists.
---------------------
If you do the moves and do modified acrobatics during your ropes routine, it will flow better and not be confusing to younger audiences.
---------------
Great point: Sands uses a finger to cut the rope, Sanders has the better, finger cut method.

Cornelious has a super fooler "piece"illusion when he ties the rope using the gimmick. Sanders end switch is indeed sweeter as a follow up move.
----------
I also like the Sands endless rope effect, and Sanders method of adding ends makes it believable. Although, the one implausible thing to accept about the Sanders premise, is that "piece" handling. As slick as it can be, it does reveal the method and I am not sure that it isn't merely too much of a continuation of the "joke" once he introduces it as "separate". Whereas Sands treatment of the "piece" is more subtle and truely makes it hidden.
That, to me, is a trade-off you must decide on.
---------
I can see use of the Sanders movement only after the Sands concept has been fulfilled.
-----------
Sanders does have some silly sound effects a five year old would love.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
A good place to start might be a published 'cut and restored' routine. Short, sweet, magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Where to start? Fiber Optics? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL