The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Black and Off-Black (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I want to wear a black sport coat and black pants. If the blacks are a shade off or the fabric is not the same, do you think that will look bad? I think black and grey look very nice together, but I'm not so sure about black and slighty off black. It might look like I got the wrong pair of pants out of the closet by mistake. What do you think?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
If it were a choice between black and grey or black and off black I would go for the black and grey.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I'm no expert, but I would say that if it could look like you screwed up by wearing the wrong pants with the jacket, then some are going to think exactly that, that you screwed up.

On the other hand, my opinion is that you wear whatever you want.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Answered your own question. If you want to wear a black suit, wear a black suit, don't mix and match.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Agreed.

That said, I wear a black camel hair jacket with black pants a lot and haven't have any trouble with it, however, I always take the jacket when getting new pants and try to make it fit as nicely as possible.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The color black in clothing is usually created by using intense dyes of red's or green believe it or not. So, although the color may look black, in certain light takes on a reddish or green hue. For this reason , trying to match a jacket to a trouser from another fabric or dye lot can be problematic. It's not impossible, but must be done judiciously.

Standing in natural sunlight may or may not tell you if the two shades of black are compatible. It helps if you have a theatre you can visit with both the jacket and trousers and look at them under theatrical lighting conditions. Believe it or not , you can hold a piece of lighting 'gel' to your eyes and look at the two swatches of fabric and sometimes make the determination!

Additionally, the 'old timers' used to have their tuxedos and tailcoat made in a shade of wool or silk called midnight blue for the very reason that it looks 'blacker than black' under the warming colors of stage light. It is till regarded as the most sophisticated shade of formal wear.

The important thing is that if you're going to use grey with black, it be of enough contrast to convince the audience that the discrepancy was intentional rather than a poor attempt to match blacks.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Black and Off-Black (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL