The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What follows Chicago Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
92 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
I am looking for suggestions for what to do after Chicago Opener. I want to transition, ultimately, back to the normal deck (so the odd backed card needs to change back).
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Chicago closer...Marlo's magazine number 5...HTH
Deckless Wonder
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I don't think it has to change back. I like what Gary Kurtz does...
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1563 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 18:35, Pete McEwen wrote:

Me too.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I'm interested why you want to change color back to the original color?
'Chicago Opener' is completed perfectly by the original ending. Adding anything after that will ruin the trick.

Hideo Kato
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
The card doesn't need to change back. You can easily move into another effect and pass that card along as a souviner, or if you're able to, vanish it and move right along.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
....or you can swap decks for a red deck (magically) and then continue with that card for a new effect.
Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Why not, just give that card to a spectator? out of sight out of mind.

Ed
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1061 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Here's a tip: Order customized cards direct from Bicycle. They have a buy 2 get one free offer. That gives you 156 cards with your picture and/or website address. Now, use that card as your odd card in Chicago opener. Give it away after every performance. As the name implies, it's a great opener.

Total cost is $39.95, or 26 cents per card. That makes a great memento and a great business card.

I have found this to be extremely effective.

I'm considering ordering a larger order from one of the custom card companies but minimum order is very high and it's a big investment. for $40.00 I get 156 performances - and it's already gotten me gigs. they never forget the trick and they never forget me.

This tip is almost toooo good to share, but I'm in a good mood. Believe me, it's a killer way to do Chicago Opener. I've made up some special patter that relates to my picture. Lots of fun.

By the way, after you give the card away you can do any other trick you want. you're left with an ungimmicked deck and about 2 million card tricks that use a regular deck. (I have a packet trick wallet in my shirt pocket, always loaded with more of my logo cards so I can easily re-set for another performance).
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10882 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Do card warp with a red and blue card
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Does anybody else do what I do? I put red cards in a blue box and blue cards in a red box. Looks slightly eccentric but not been challenged here! The beauty is that if you leave the cellophane in situ then the odd coloured card can be stored quite happily and disguised behind the cellophane - ready for introduction at any time into your routine for the Chicago Opener! Usually introduce the card whilst the audience is still reeling from OOTW.
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Great idea from Rich Hurley!
Perhaps not what you are looking for.. But, Geoff Williams (Miracles for Mortals) easy(ish) to do variation of the Mendoza T&R with the odd card is great, especially as it is done almost as an afterthought.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Rich Hurley...great idea. I have thought of this, but always found it to be too costly.

I looked on the US Playing Card site for custom cards and it states that there is a 100 deck minimum.

Here is the link:
http://www.usplayingcard.com/uspccustom.html

Do you get them elsewhere?

Thanks.

Rich B.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You can try here...
http://www.card-shark.de/index_e.cfm?MC

Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
DomKabala...thanks for the link.

But those cards are more expensive then the deal that Rich Hurley mentioned.

Rich B.
jeromefang
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jeromefang
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 18:35, Pete McEwen wrote:

Hi Pete,

May I know what was Gary's take on Chicago Opener? Was it in his book Unexplainable Acts? Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
*****WARNING*****
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 22:33, Mediocre the Great wrote:
Here's a tip: ...

This is a terrible idea! A total waste of time, money and effort.

Mr. Hurley
Please refrain from posting any further "tips" or ideas like ths one anywhere without checking them through me first.

Thank you.
Terry VeckEy
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Interesting!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One of my card acts starts with my version of Chicago Opener. The next trick is a "spectator cut to the four aces" done with the queens.
The rationale behind this is that I always get introduced as a doing sleight of hand magician and, since I want the act to have "magic" as the cause for the effects (not my skill), I wanted a trick which was seemingly done totally by a spectator. This also fit well with the image of the character I'm progressively revealing in the act as well as the theme of the act itself.

Actually in another card act of mine starting with Derek Dingle's Too Many Cards, the second trick is also the same Spectator "Cutting to the Aces" done with the Queens (the spectator is supposed to cut to the aces and fails but he cuts to the four ladies which "tells a lot" about his seduction capacity and main area of focus)

The cutting to the aces I use is derived from Paul Harris's one in New Stars of Magic Dvd and Allan Ackermann has developed something comparable even if not really the same.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 22:33, Mediocre the Great wrote:
Here's a tip: Order customized cards direct from Bicycle. They have a buy 2 get one free offer. That gives you 156 cards with your picture and/or website address.

I actually do the exact same thing. I've suggested elsewhere on these boards that people take advantage of this offer by ordering a plain white back, with no design. If you can split cards, you'll have access to a fairly large number of blanks, DF, and DB. Printing decks of business cards was something I had hoped would be fairly unique to me.

For those of you concerned about the 100 deck minimum, you're looking in the wrong place. The next time you rip open a new pack of Bikes, read the ad cards. There is occasionally something worth noticing there. One of them is the custom decks deal that Mediocre the Great referenced. It's only three decks, not 100. While $15 per deck of cards might seem like a lot, these cards simply WILL get you more gigs, if you use them tastefully.

Back on topic, though, I actually use my variation of Chicago Opener as a closer. I believe that it's a strong enough effect to warrant that, and it becomes more impossible as a closer. If you wish to use it at any other point in your routine, I completely agree with giving the card away, and continuing with a normal deck. It would be prudent, however, to make sure the odd-backer doesn't have a duplicate still in the pack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What follows Chicago Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL