The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ron, I love your spirit and willingness to try something new. With everybody else, here, I am praying that this will turn out to be a great blessing for you!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Boy Ron am I happy for you.

I hope to compete against you, and have a long conversation with you at this years Curly's bar close up competition in Colon, Mi.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
No Ron, don't do that!!! Then you can't use all the good deaf jokes anymore.

Actually, I think it is an awesome idea. However, you won't recognize my voice if I am talking behind you. And I'm gonna test it out!

Best of luck to you and this prodcedure.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
That's great news Jaxon and I wish you all the best!

Chrystal
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Best of luck with it Ron.

I had a student with the implant in one of my high school history classes that I was teaching. If he did not tell me that he was born deaf, I would never have known. He showed no signs of difficulty hearing at all.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone.

TomK - I'm sure you will test me. LOL

Al - I look forward to seeing you at Abbott's again. Glad you'll be able to make it this year.

I've been doing a lot of research about the implant and I have a couple of email conversations going with people who have thee implant. I guess the surgery is usually about 2 hours long. More good news is they won't have to shave my head to do it. LOL

I'll tell you what my biggest worry is about it. My speech. I remember years ago when I got new hearing aids and heard my voice I could tell I had a slight speech impediment. I had some hearing then but I was profoundly hard of hearing. I'm sure it'll be quite a shock to me to hear my speech after all these years of deafness.

I also wonder how many of my friends will have annoying voices. LOL

It's funny. In the last few days I've been noticing things and thinking, "I wonder what that sounds like?" and asking questions like, "Does this microwave ding or beep?" Smile

It'll also be nice to be able to use a public rest room and know if anyone else enters the room. I bet you guys never thought of that aspect of being deaf. LOL

Here's a video you guys might like to watch. Well at least the first half of it. It shows the process of a girl getting the implant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH0RT7R4X8

This video shows how the implant actually works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpBbJealks0

Thanks again everyone.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
If it works, don't tell anyone. Then you could work up a psychic routine:

"When I turn around, say the word out loud so everyone can think it, and using my powers I will write it down...."

Best of luck Ron!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Best of luck.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'm hoping the best of outcomes for you!

Steve
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Ron,

I wish you all the best.

Know that you have a a huge fan club here at the Café.

We are all pulling for you.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks again everyone.

Boy, the more I'm researching on this the more anxious I'm getting. I found a really good site full of people who have already gotten this done. It's a sort of mentor site. You can look at their profiles then send them a message and they share their advice and experience. I'm talking to one lady who's experience is almost identical to mine except she was deaf for 30 years. Guess what she does now? She's a music teacher!

It's a good thing I'm researching because I'm learning a lot of what to expect and questions to ask. I'll even have to decide what "brand" I want to get.

It's getting exciting. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
See if you can get one that is internet friendly so you can download direct to your brain! Smile

Don't forget to let us know how it turns out Ron!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Congratulations, Ron and break a -- hmm, cerumen gland?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (With about 25 - 30% of effective hearing.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Mine hearing's getting a little 'dull' with age (I'm almost 58), but that's only an annoyance in crowds or when trying to pick out dialogue from music in a badly-mixed film or TV show. I assume it'll get worse over time. That's what hearing aids are for. I'm just glad to live in an age when we can fix stuff like this.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Gabriel Knight
Ron, I don't think I need to tell you, I think I am almost more excited and happier than you are!
I have another friend who could not see at all, pretty much blind. She was unable to see anything for 10 years, she got synthetic lenses in her eyes and she was able to see 20/20. I was so happy for her. She traveled all over the world. seeing things. So the excitment is more than I can explaine for you. THIS WILL WORK. That is all you need to know going in.
Wish I was there for you. I would drive you there myself.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Ben, Could you imagine me not being deaf when you come back? I hope your voice doesn't sound like Mickey Mouse. LOL

TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Ben sounds more like Minnie Mouse. LOL
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Are you going to go through with it Ron? How long have you been deaf?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Well my appointment for assessment is in 4 days. These test will have 2 purposes. One, to find out if the implant can work for me. And 2, to prove to insurance companies that I am indeed deaf. Smile

It was between 15 and 20 years ago that my hearing made a big drop and I became deaf. During that time I went from being able to talk on the phone to not being able to hear voices at all. I haven't heard a voice in about 15 years. So it's been a while.

Ron

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Wish me luck everyone. Tomorrow morning I go and find out if this will work for me or not.

I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW - I decided to start a blog on this experience. I'll update it every step I make on my way back to the world of sound. I still need to work on it some more. For some reason the "Comments" part isn't working. But you can read it here:
http://returntosound.blogspot.com/

I'm doing this to let me family and friends now what's happening and also in hopes that if I do get this done maybe someone else who's in my current position will find it and read my experience.

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL