The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Good luck Ron!!! I would really like to be able to call you and chew your ear off about thread work. Smile Smile

Sincerely,
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks so much for your support everyone.

I missed my first appointment. It was so frustrating. My appointment was a 2 hour drive away at 8:30am. I didn't wake up until 7am so there was no way I could make it in time. Luckily I was able to let them know I wouldn't be there before the time of the actual appointment though.

The good news is my new appointment is on the 16th. So that's only 4 days away.

I decided to start a blog to share my experience. So if you want to fallow along in my experience back to the world of sound you can check it out at http://returntosound.blogspot.com

I'll be updating this when ever I can and share the experience as it takes place.

Thanks again for your support.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It's amazing what they can do now with recent advances in neuroscience.
This is really cool stuff.
The controversy part is confusing. I guess I just don't understand the cultural side of it.
I am sending my Physiology Professor the link to your blog so he can hopefully put it on our online syllabus.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Jaxon: my (late) father-in-law lost almost all of his hearing working in an auto plant, and after some years got the implants.

He often said that results are very individual, and didn't fare well when there was a lot of audio confusion (TV on, crowd noises, etc) and I was oine of the few people who could speak well with him because I at least looked at him and enunciated. But he was very gratified by the results as a whole.

Best of luck!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, the technology has come a long way. Just 5 years ago their focus was to improve the ability to hear speech. Today the technology has improved so much that now the challenge is more on music with all it's layers of sound. Of course you're right though. Each case will be different.

A lot of touch decisions right now. I'll keep you all posted.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Good luck for the 16th Jaxon!!!

Peace & Love

Matt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Darn, when I saw the name Matthew Shepherd I expected a truth like:

"On the show Def Jam not only can people hear but they are not made out of grapes or strawberries"
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
The banana is a berry

Peace and love

Matt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Matthew, have you ever been right about anything? A banana is what is called an Epigynous or false berry. That means fruit that is believed to be a berry but is not because of the loose definition. A banana doesn't even fall into the catagory of fruit refered to as a berry just for simplification. Perhaps you should accept your, uh, challenge and not give out any more truths or facts Matthew?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
GREAT NEWS!!!

I just got back from my appointment and it's official. I will be getting this implant!

Right now they are contacting the insurance and getting all that take care of. Then They'll send me mail to let me know when my surgery will be scheduled. It could be any time in the next few weeks.

After the Surgery it'll be about a month before I'm actually hooked up and switched on (Called Activation day). Once that's done it'll take some time and therapy for my brain to actually learn how to hear again. Each case is different. It's likely that at first I'll hear sounds and voices but not really be able to identify or understand them.

So I'm very excited. If I happen to get this done before the Abbott's get together and I see any of you there. I just might be able to hear you. I don't know how well or if I'll be able to understand by then yet. But who knows. We'll see how it goes.

Ron Jaxon

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Congratulations! That's great news!

Quote:
Once that's done it'll take some time and therapy for my brain to actually learn how to hear again. Each case is different. It's likely that at first I'll hear sounds and voices but not really be able to identify or understand them.

That was my understanding as well, based on what I've heard about the implants. Your brain will have to re-learn how to interpret sound, which will be a challenging and fascinating experience. Good luck, and keep us updated!

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Shazam!

Best of luck to you.....
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Let me know when the activation happens, and I'll start TALKING VERY CLEARLY AND ENUNCIATING in my podcast.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
836 Posts

Profile of e-man
Ron, This is such exciting and great news...Im so happy for you!
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Good Luck Ron, we're all rooting for you!
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Go Ron!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Very exciting news Ron. All the best.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That's really cool.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Good for you Jaxon, but there is a downside to everything... Now at conventions and magic shows, you will have to listen to all the bad jokes like the rest of us!

I wish you the best with this, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I will pray that you are hearing all those bad jokes very soon...

Steven
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ron... so glad you will be able to do this. Rootin' for you big time!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL