The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just thought I'd share this with all my magic friends.

On June 8th I'm going to have some tests done to see about getting a Cochlear implant. You can click that link to find out what it is if you're unfamiliar with it.

I was tested for it about 7 years ago but they told me that although it would give me the ability to hear some sounds. It wouldn't be able to help much with the pitch that most speech is in. So basically, if it couldn't allow me to hear speech then what's the point in going through with it. The technology has made many advances since then so I'm going to test again to see if it'll work for me now.

Can you imagine? Ron Jaxon not being deaf? Smile Actually, even if it does work I'd still be technically "Deaf" for if I take it out I won't be able to hear anything. In fact that's kind of the scary because if I do go through with it and I'm not wearing the device I'll loose what little hearing I do have now.

Actually there is a lot about it that's kind of scary. Just to be able to hear again is kind of scary. A lot of people I talked to had a hard time understanding why that is. But I've been deaf for so long I'm use to it. I mean imagine you suddenly picked up a new sense and from that you learned about a lot of things you where missing before.

At the same time there are a lot of things I do hope to be able to do someday. Small things really like to be able to talk on a phone without having to read what's being said. To hear music. To know if something is happening around me even when I can't see it. To be able to get things taken care of that I'd usually have to have someone else help me with (Such as phone calls). Heck, I'd love to just be able to go enjoy a movie in a movie theater.

So it's exciting but at the same time a little scary. I still don't know if I'm even eligible yet so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I'm still a bit excited. I watched some youtube videos of people that documented their experience of getting this implant. I'm thinking about doing the same things. Maybe someone will find it interesting.

On a side note. If I do get this done I'll actually have a magnet embedded in the side of my head. Who knows. Maybe I'll come up with the Cochlear Implant vanish. LOL

Thanks for listening.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Great news and hope all goes well.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 22:31, Jaxon wrote:

On June 8th I'm going to have some tests done to see about getting a Cochlear implant. You can click that link to find out what it is if you're unfamiliar with it.

Good luck, if I were in your situation I imagine I would do the same.

I've read some in the deaf community 'shun' people who go this route, though. Is there some truth to this?

EDIT: Oh, I see the page actually mentions the controversy.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good luck! Medical science kicks ass!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 23:00, balducci wrote:
Quote:

Good luck, if I were in your situation I imagine I would do the same.

I've read some in the deaf community 'shun' people who go this route, though. Is there some truth to this?

EDIT: Oh, I see the page actually mentions the controversy.

Thanks you everyone.

Yes, there is a big controversy about it but that's mainly in the Deaf community. It's basically a matter of Deaf Culture. Imagine you belongs to one culture and someone is coming in and doing things to people that cause them to no longer fit into that culture. There's more to it then that but that's a big part of it. They have a culture that this technology is threatening it.

Watch this movie tailor about a documentary/movie called Sound and Fury. It's about a deaf family and their deaf child who want's the implant but the parents don't want their child to get it. It'll give you a taste of how contriversial it is.

I don't' feel this effects me because I wasn't born deaf and I don't really belong to any "Deaf Culture". I use to be able to hear at one point so it's a little different then growing up in that culture. In fact many call what I'm in "Between worlds". I sometimes feel that way too.

Anyway, Thanks again. I'll keep you updated.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's the link to the Sound and Fury trailer.

The first trailer I found when searching for Sound and Fury was, ironically, a heavy metal music festival trailer. Definitely not the one Ron meant.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
One of my relatives has this device and it was the best thing as it really made a difference in her world. My fingers are crossed for you!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Good luck Ron. Thanks for sharing. And do please keep us updated.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Godspeed!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
Thanks for listening.

One day in the future we will thank you for listening! I really hope it work for ya!
Sent from my Typewriter
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Man that is fantastic! Keep us informed as to how you are going. This is the kind of magic that makes everything else pale in comparison. All the best!
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My wife has had several children and parents in her Kindermusik classes with cochlear implants. I had a long, fascinating conversation one day with a "cochlear dad", and he said that it was the best thing he had ever done! He also brought up the problem of the way the deaf community now regarded him, but he said that it was worth everything he had gone through to be able to hear!

Best of luck to you.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
A recently aired "House" episode dealt with this very topic. I had no idea that a medical breakthrough could have such a downside.

Good luck, Ron!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Ron - extremely exciting my friend. I can only imagine the flurry of your thoughts about this. My hopes and prayers that all works out to your liking and more.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Ron, I was born with cataracts in both eyes. I could never see well, and eventually they got so bad I had to have both lenses removed and replaced with plastic ones. They were reluctant to do the surgery too soon because they really didn't have any experience with implants in someone so young, and the techniques and technology kept improving.

Long story short, it was AMAZING how much the world changed when I got my implants! There were whole ranges of colors I'd never seen before. Nothing was fuzzy. My brain used to fill in what I couldn't see, so a bundle of socks on the floor would sometimes look like a rat, etc. Funny sometimes, but it was nice to be able to finally find my socks! Smile

I am now 57 years old and ironically have the BEST eyesight of all my peers. I was always the one with the thick glasses, but now they are.

It's a blast. I hope you have a similar experience with your hearing. Fully functioning senses rule!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens.

I was talking to a friend who has the implant. She was never deaf though. Just profoundly hard of hearing. So her experience will be a little different then mine. But she talked about how when it was first turned on things sounded strange. She described it as sounding like they where on an old AM radio. Smile

I'm sure the therapy will be a strange experience. I'll basically have to learn to hear again and my brain will have to learn to distinct one sound from another. A good example of "How your brain interprets sound" happened not long ago. My dog barked right next to my left ear (Which can hear a little) and I didn't hear a bark. I heard a click sound like two sticks being hit together. If my dog was 5 feet away I wouldn't have heard it but he was right next to my ear so I heard it. That's a good indication of how I'm going to have to learn how to hear again.

There are just so many things about this to think about. Smile

Ron Jaxon

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ron-

How exciting for you! Will keep my fingers crossed that you qualify for this procedure! Best of luck to you! Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Rush Limbaugh has the implant after going completely deaf in both ears. He says he can recognize music if he heard it before. He hears voices and can carry on conversations but if the room is loud he sometimes has trouble.

I hope everything turns out great.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I hope this works for you. I learned al ot about the whole issue with the implants and the Deaf community in sign class, some people have very strong feelings about it. Do what ever makes you happy brother, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I wish you the best. If it works out, give me your number and I'll make a point to call you on the phone to congratulate you.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL