The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The magic is within you, Ron.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Ron, I second the idea of going to an entertainment vocal coach. I went to one for singing, and he would have understood an entertainer's need for added clarity.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks. That does make sense. They would understand the difference between "Speaking well enough" and "speaking clearly enough for an audience to easily understand". I'll look into that when I reach that point.

I just found this video and it brings tears to my eye every time. I don't know if I'll react this strongly or not but I've read that many do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWe6iJmHKUE

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the link, Ron.
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
268 Posts

Profile of Martello
Very touching video. I have seen kids turned on before. Sure is nice to see the reaction of someone older. Inspiring!

Arthur
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Ron,

here is a story I think you'll like. A friend of mine, whom I've only know for a few years now, became deaf and lost his hearing as an adult. He was w/o his hearing for a long time. He got the implants and can now hear again. He took up magic a few years back and started doing kid shows. To help learn comedy for his magic act, he took a comedy course in stand-up comedy. He has done very well. SO well in fact, that he now labels himself as the "Deaf Comic" even though he is not deaf due to the implants. He plays off of his disability in his stand up comedy shows and it is working for him. He left magic behind and got rid of all his magic props (to me!) He has found his niche and his career as a stand-up comedian is now off the ground. I have included a link to a you- tube clip. To anyone who clicks the link, it is NOT a rated G performance , so anyone who may get offended, just don't watch lol. But his name is Mike Murray. He is a GREAT guy with a heart of gold and one of the nicest people I know and we have become great friends. If you like stand up comedy, enjoy the clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOes0lXR4E
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Ron,
It occurred to me today that you may be able to view the video link, but you can't hear it . . I never thought of that when I attached the link lol.

Sorry bout that.

Tommy
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks for the link Tommy. No problem about it not having subtitles because I know a service that can subtitle it for me. It just takes a couple of days so I'll be able to watch it when it's finished.

It sounds a lot like me as far as how he uses his deafness in his act. I can't wait to see it.

Could you ask him if he'd mind if I contact him? Seems we'd have some things to talk about with us both being deaf and using it in our acts. And of course the implant when I get mine.

Here's another video of a comedian joking about deaf issues. The same warning applies. No foul language but "Adult content". Very funny though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGEExF1VYQ

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Sent you a PM
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I finally got an update.

I still don't know when the surgery will take place but I got a letter in the mail for two appointments about it on October 13. One is "Final Consultation" with audiologist. I think this is just to make my decision on what brand of implant I'll get and answer any questions I might have. The other appointment on the same day is with the surgeon. Probably just to walk me through everything that'll happen during the surgery and so forth.

I was hoping my next letter would be telling me when the surgery will be. But it's good to know I now know when the next step will be. The wait is getting annoying. LOL

Ron Jaxon

LilyStar
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of LilyStar
Hi Ron,

I just wanted to give you some additional encouragement.

I have a friend who is 80 years old and he had cochlear implant surgery a few years ago. He couldn't hear anything in that ear before, and now he has great hearing! It was such a blessing for him, his family, friends, and the community.

I will be pray for you also!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thank you and welcome to the Café. I'm honored that this was your first post. Smile

Wow. almost 80 years old. I have a lot of respect for someone who will do that at such an age. Most people who loose their hearing in later years usually don't admit they have a hearing loss. I'm sure you've meet them. They won't go to doctor about it but they'll speak very loud and turn TV up full blast. But won't admit they have hearing loss. LOL

Ron Jaxon

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I finally got the date for my Surgery. November 11, Just a couple of weeks away. I'm so excited.

Ron Jaxon

mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Congratulations! Hope all goes well!

And boy does time fly...we met at Kevin James' board like 10 years ago (remember those days? LOL), talked a lot (as a group) about the certain challenges of being a deaf performer and now, you're about to hear. I am very, very happy for you!
Sent from my Typewriter
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16264 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good luck Ron.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Congrats buddy
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Just remember, we'll still make bad jokes at your expense. No one is spared around here.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You're on my prayer list, Ron. May God bless and keep you, dude.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I was ready the topic title, "Not very magical, still..."

To me, this is VERY magical!

Good luck Ron! We are rootin' for ya!

ACE
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Well, I have to wait just a little while longer for my surgery.

I have to have a physical before the surgery and that was suppose to be last Monday. But I had the flu and had to reschedule the physical. So my physical is today and the surgery was bumped to next Wednesday (Nov. 18).

So all is stil good. Just have to wait one more week. Just thought I'd keep you all up to speed.

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL