The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Jaxon wrote:
Quote:
I'm still baffled about one thing and I haven't yet gotten an answer that helps me to completely understand how the internal part is powered. I'm talking about the part that is embedded in my head.

Ron, I'm guessing that it uses a transformer, i.e. it's powered by magnetic induction. The external until creates a an alternating magnetic field with loops of wire driven by a high frequency alternating current, and this causes current to flow in loop of wire on the internal unit.

Jaxon wrote:
Quote:
I was just thinking that I need to meet a girl with the implant on their left ear. So when we hug we'll be stuck together. Smile

:lol:

Yeah, then you can tell her, "I'm stuck on you." or "I find you very attractive."

Best wishes on Dec. 22nd. I'll start checking here every day after that to find out how you're doing.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
266 Posts

Profile of Martello
I believe that Bill is correct as far as the magnetic induction is concerned. Having worked with deaf students with cochlear implants and supervised the cochlear implant program at Saint Francis de Sales School for the Deaf for 32 years before retiring in 1999, I can appreciate all of the wonders associated with cochlear implants. They will surely put an end to hearing impairment as the technology improves.
Hearing is our most valuable sense. When I taught at Saint Joseph's College in Brooklyn NY, I would tell my students that if I had to be reborn I would rather be born blind than deaf, they were very surprised. The fact is, that the loss of hearing in most cases also means a loss of language as we know it. ASL is not a viable substitute for the complexities and necessities of the language we use. Loss of language affects so many areas that it boggles the mind. Hearing is 360 degrees all around you but vision is only 180 degrees. We are hearing things that we are totally unaware of and gaining information (the sounds of passing traffic, people talking, planes flying overhead, children laughing in the next room). The deaf child never benefits from this information, nor does he learn to communicate the same way that we do, through the auditory sense. It is the way we learn language, our primary means of navigating this nutty world.
To me, there is no greater handicap than deafness!
Can't wait to hear the story surrounding your "turn on" Ron. Best of luck.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
A magnet in motion can induce electric current. This is the basis, on a much larger scale, for hydro electric power. (hoover dam) The circular device is very possible inducing a current this way. a lot of electric re-chargers work this way, which is why we don't get a shock by touching the business end. Don't mean to hijack this topic, but I do love answering science questions.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Martello - That's why I was very lucky to have been able to hear when I was younger. Even I can't imagine what it would be like to be born deaf.

Cliffg37 - NO problem at all. Like I said, I was kind of stumped on that. Smile

There's a discussion going on in a forum for the deaf about "Future Cochlear Implants" and what we perceive or imagine they will be like in the future. One of the things I brought up is that I think they'll be much smaller (Like a strip that goes behind the ear or something) and be powered completely by the electricity in the human body. Watch "The Matrix" for a more detailed description. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I may not be deaf much longer! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL