The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No such thing as bad publicity? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of Wizzo the wizard
No such thing as bad publicity?

Well is this True?

Copperfield had it, when a Ferrari he was levitating fell from the air! If it had been seconds earlier Copperfield would have been underneath it when it fell! Now I know Copperfield is a busy performer anyway, however this did make a big impact on sales for his show! as everyone wanted to see if it would happened again!

Now I'm no Copperfield and would never claim to be, I only used that as an example!

As a lot of you already know I was recently on Britain's Got Talent with Tommy The Talking Toucan. Now it didn't go to plan! However since being on T.V. a lot of people have remembered Tommy and just yesterday I worked a Wild Life Park in the UK, with Tommy talking to the customers! The organizers got News Paper coverage and also had it announced on two Radio Stations that Tommy from Britain's Got Talent was going to be there, also it was on the web site, here is the link: http://www.cotswoldwildlifepark.co.uk/news-events/index.php

The day went really well, the organizers said that Tommy was brilliant!

So how many of you have done things which haven't gone to plan but have managed to turn it into a positive thing? I would be really interested to know what it was, what you did to turn it around and also how things turned out!

All the best
Louis
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
Doesn't it bother you that only Tommy the Toucan is getting the publicity?
Timothy James
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Not really, as he works for me and helps pay the bills! But I know what your saying!
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Ummmm....Copperfield didn't actually levitate a Ferrari.
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Oh I thought he said in an interview that it happened! I think this was before he was a huge star. If I have got it wrong, Sorry!

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:27am
-------------------------------
Here is a clip of Copperfield doing just that! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5e2aeNq6M

Now back to the topic at hand!

Louis
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
And in six months who will really remember you - it seems like a cheap 15 minutes of fame / free publicity
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Wizzo the wizard
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

It's not who will remember me, In fact they remember the bird more than me which is a good thing!
That's not what this thread is about!

It's about how to turn things around, check what I wrote at the top of this thread and your see!

Louis
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Louis...you have a great outlook on life! I sure hope I can have the same enthusiasm as you. I tend to take the "bad" publicity very hard. But you are handling it properly! Great Inspiration!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I got arrested for dangerous driving once when I was driving a convertable mini blindfolded around the city. Not very pleasent at the time, because the police, took a very hardline approach to the case. But I made the front page of the papers, got on the national television news, and have some priceless publicity shots of the cops pulling me over. Well worth the hassle.
But I made the mistake of entering one of those talent shows once, and I will not be repeating it, despite being invited on a few over the past few years.
You weren't given much of a chance to shine, Louis, which is a shame because I have heard you have a good act.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
When Good Publicity Can Be Bad!
My name is John Breeds and I am a first son. My father’s name was Benjamin and he was a first son. Likewise, his father’s name was Benjamin and he was a first son, and so on, and so on. This naming tradition went back to the 18th Century when there was, in fact, a John Breeds.

In 1742, in the town of Rye, East Sussex, England, John Breeds murdered Allen Grebell. Consequently, John Breeds was hanged and his remains placed in an iron cage on Gibbets Marsh. Later, this was moved to the church and, later still, to the Town Hall, where it is to this day.

The murder was a case of mistaken identity. My great, great, great… grandfather mistook Allen Grebell one dark night for the local Mayor, James Lamb; and stabbed him!

I guess we all have a skeleton or two in our cupboard. But this is one piece of publicity that I did not court with the newspapers. Can you imagine the local newspaper’s headline: Local Kids’ Entertainer Related To Murderer!

This is a true story. Google Search 'John Breeds, Rye, England', for detailed information, and a picture of my ancestor’s head!

John
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2009-05-29 14:34, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
And in six months who will really remember you - it seems like a cheap 15 minutes of fame / free publicity

What is wrong with this poster? He said something similar in another thread regarding Louis. Bitter much? Like I said in the other thread - performing is performing and we should support anyone in the magical arts who is out there and working, especially on a national television show! Some wouldn't exactly call doing magic in a food court anything to be proud of (check out themagiciansapprentice web site, he's done just that) but I applaud him and anyone else who is out there and working. Once again, let's stop bashing the success of others.
Well...except for the masked magician. Bash away...that's bad publicity Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

No I do magic. That's why my web-site contains some locations I've done (up until 2008) to give a flavour of what I do to potential clients in the Arabian Gulf. That's where I work, we have no bars / clubs etc in Kuwait!!!

Others here seem to do ego's. Notice the difference. If and when a magician wins a competition I'll fully support them. But just to have a fleeting appearance ....
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 01:21, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
No I do magic. That's why my web-site contains some locations I've done (up until 2008) to give a flavour of what I do to potential clients in the Arabian Gulf. That's where I work, we have no bars / clubs etc in Kuwait!!!

Others here seem to do ego's. Notice the difference. If and when a magician wins a competition I'll fully support them. But just to have a fleeting appearance ....

So you're saying that the opinions of people like Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and Simon Cowell are the only way you'll validate someone as being a good magician? Interesting. A "fleeting appearance" is working, and that's what Louis did. Seems to me someone ought to teach you that winning isn't everything. It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Louis did BGT; you did not. Seems like he deserves credit for at least bothering to play. It's very easy to sit at home, judge someone and attempt to discredit their achievements. As I have said repeatedly, we ought to be supporting anyone here is who working in magic, regardless of the venue or the outcome. You seem very, very bitter, and that's too bad.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

I've not seen the programme, not even in the country (strangely nor are you) and am not interestied in the winning really. Two years, two dance acts win. And the favourite goes to a clinic with stress

But going to an audition (that's televised) then using this for publicity ????
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
I have to agree with the magician apprentice. I believe that if Toucan is remembered then you must crtical look at your performance. I am happy for Louis because it is paying his bills and that is important. When you look at it as a magician then you have the mission that they remember you and not your prop or accesoires. We all work hard to let magic have is proper image, unfortannely there are a lot of magicians think that they perform magic but really does do some puzzles. They put a couple I a row and they think they have a show. If the venue (BGT) is not giving you the proper room to perform then you must wander if you have to perform there.

Let me say clear that I am please and happy for Louis that he's getting gigs and that it is paying his bills. After al performing on a empty stomach is hard Smile
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I actually was in London at the time of the show and did see it air. I don't see Louis flaunting this as his greatest success. He's simply stating what happened and sharing his experiences and his outcome with us. Publicity is not a BAD thing and I feel it's wrong to deny someone the kudos they should be getting for going out there and working. If a local paper gives him some attention, bravo to that person!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Being rejected by BGT would not necessarily qualify as "bad publicity". Because viewers often disagree with the judges. And also, being on a famous show adds some credibility to your act, because of the "celebrity factor" (if you were on TV, you must be a "celebrity". OR, you met a celebrity in person, so they want to experience that meeting second-hand through meeting you).

You might have a more challenging road ahead if you were rejected because a trick malfunctioned (if a performer exposed that they were a poor magician). But that is not the case here.

Congrats on growing your business through this experience.

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit." - Napoleon Hill (Author - Think and Grow Rich).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
There is a link on this post:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=180&2 to a podcast.
At about the 40 min mark he talk about AGT and goes into this exact question in detail.

Andy
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Ventriloquist figures are often more famous than their masters! We are just the side kicks.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 02:13, Andrewzuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 01:21, themagiciansapprentice wrote:

So you're saying that the opinions of people like Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne and Simon Cowell are the only way you'll validate someone as being a good magician? Interesting. A "fleeting appearance" is working, and that's what Louis did. Seems to me someone ought to teach you that winning isn't everything. It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Louis did BGT; you did not. Seems like he deserves credit for at least bothering to play. It's very easy to sit at home, judge someone and attempt to discredit their achievements. As I have said repeatedly, we ought to be supporting anyone here is who working in magic, regardless of the venue or the outcome. You seem very, very bitter, and that's too bad.

EXCELLENT POST!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No such thing as bad publicity? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL