The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sadly, The Masked Moron is Finally in Malaysia... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes, it it watched in 4 or 5 countries at the same time...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
I am very sure that AXN in yours countryes and other is not an important channel with a high rating ....There are other 5 or 6 channels and AXN is under important ratings...
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
AXN is a pay channel in Indonesia. Not too many peoples watched.
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Many enough watch that they mention it to me.

Non Magicians that is.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
The best thing we can do is not pay attention to it...if people talk to you about it, tell them it's not the way we do the trick, that today people are more aware of magic so we use a completly different and more clever way of doing every trick.

They talk to you about it because they know you are a magician...just change the look of your cabinets form the ones used by the &&??%$/$/$ MORON and nobody will ever notice something!!!
And if someone knows who is the MORON, beat the s--- out of him for me. Thanks.
;-)
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Is still the old pal Valentino behnid the mask?
any ide who is he/she?
Thank you.
CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
So what's with those idiots who then put the same stuff on youtube!!!!

Now it is up on permanent record for all to see.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 23:46, ssucahyo wrote:
Is still the old pal Valentino behnid the mask?
any ide who is he/she?
Thank you.
CC

I doubt that it is Valentino under the mask. At least Val had some chops. The new guy is terrible, from what I've seen of the show (which ain't much!).
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I love the idea of publishing the name and address of the Fox dude who approved the show. The same with the name and address of the MM.
One good solid and huge class action suit is needed to stop the madness.
On the other hand, there have been some who decided to get into magic after watching the MM. The transition from spectator to Magician is practiced every day at every shop in the world, and, even though the MM is exposure, I can't differentiate between him and anyone who sells magic.
The desire to watch the MM requires some degree of interest in magic, I mean, who watches the program?
What is the difference in magic for a price, vrs magic for free but watching the sponsors ads as your payment. Walking in the door to the magic shop is perhaps no different than tuning in the MM.
Not to defend the show at all, but I can rationalize it and accept it. It is also a great teaching device. The showmanship sucks, but some of the technique is useful if you want to learn.
I can remember in the 80's on News 4 New york, Chuck Scarborough or one of the other guys showed a silk vanish, and then held out his Th**b tip and said "this is how its done".
That never stopped the use of the tip and that was mainstream TV.
---------
Mohammed Ali used to buy magic at the magic conventions and at select shops. He just wanted to know the secret and then he showed the effects to his entourage and gave the magic away. My point is, we don't qualify the buyers of magic, dealers just sell to anyone who has the price of admission. That's why youtube has exposure, the magic sellers don't qualify the buyers and make them sign the oath in blood.
-----
Whether its one on one or on a TV show, exposure is exposure. Either keep your secrets to yourself or sell the effect at risk that a masked Moron will turn around and show everyone your secret. There is no solution.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Can't we do anything to stop the production of these shows? I mean surely we could nail him on one pattented illusion, couldn't we?
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Can the mm expose illusions such as the cutting eddge or oregami ... it occures to me that these illusions are better protected by daniel summers and steinmeyer or I am worong
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 15:02, dahih beik wrote:
Can the mm expose illusions such as the cutting eddge or oregami ... it occures to me that these illusions are better protected by daniel summers and steinmeyer or I am worong

If the MM actually bought the effect, he could expose it. And, if you owned it, you could expose it as well. There is no exposure "agreement" when buying most illusions. That would be a contractual thing and I believe enforce-able.
If the MM made his own version of someone elses effect, there could be some sort of theft of design IF the creator has protected himself enough AND has the money required to fight a patent infringement.
Heck, we can't even protect ourselves if someone actually "knocks" off the effect, and basically there is just no protection if MM just exposes it. The same is true if someone does an effect badly and expose a trick unintentionally.
The ONLY recourse we have is a campaign to have the public boycott the products advertised on the show. That would more than likely increase the shows presence and be counterproductive.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
It's true and I get frustrated to think about it...
Can you believe that some people in the USA put McDonald's to justice because they get fat and when a moron exposes everyting on magic, nobody can't do anything...Bizarre world, isn't it???!!! ;-)
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Sadly, magic is a very unique situation that doesn't have a real parallel in other arts, disciplines or businesses. The key intellectual property (IP) is a secret shared by many people.

Existing US IP protection laws simply are not designed for this. Since it is a problem unique to magic (a tiny market segement), they probably never will be.

Short of having every purchaser of a magic trick sign a non-disclosure agreement (not practical for mass marketed items) there isn't a good legal tool to protect the secret. If there was, we wouldn't need the magician's code.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Sadly, magic is a very unique situation that doesn't have a real parallel in other arts, disciplines or businesses. The key intellectual property (IP) is a secret shared by many people.

Existing US IP protection laws simply are not designed for this. Since it is a problem unique to magic (a tiny market segement), they probably never will be.

Short of having every purchaser of a magic trick sign a non-disclosure agreement (not practical for mass marketed items) there isn't a good legal tool to protect the secret. If there was, we wouldn't need the magician's code.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I would like to hear an ansewr from daniel s steinmeyer and bill smith from were I am planing to buy my next illusion wich will coast a fortion
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
You have to pay a fee , and danniel s claims that his illusions are protected - I wicsh it is true - does it mean if somebody expose them hell be borought to court please tell me yes
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Unfortunately the first program that was on when we arrived in our hotel room in Beijing for the FISM convention was... Masked Magician! It seemed rather ironic, and the channel (AXN) really pumps it with adverts...
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
JVHarrison
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of JVHarrison
There is no effective way under US law to protect a magician's secrets. Certainly. with a patent, one can protect a knock-off of a prop for a limited period of time, but not the secret behind that prop (think about it, Apple could sue you if you manufactured a knock-off of the I-pod, but they would have no cause of action if you took one apart on national television and explained its inner workings).

The problem with an NDA (nondisclosure agreement) is that it always contains carveouts for information that is otherwise available to the general public. I can't think of an illusion that is so unique that the basic premise of its secret is not available to the public in one form or another.

One way to protect these things is to use the expense of a lawsuit to dissuade someone like the MM. Don't get me wrong, Steinmeyer, et. al. are unlikely to succeed in such an action (all the defense would have to do is indicate that anyone can ascertain the secret by examining the patent, or purchasing a particular book or set of plans, and the case would be dismissed), but the cost of defending it could be so enormous as to act as a real deterrent to exposure. I am a lawyer at a very large firm, and a legal bill of $50-100k for just a preliminary defense in a matter like this (assuming the person bringing the action has aggressive counsel) would not be uncommon.

The problem is that the cost of bringing such an action against the MM could well exceed all the profit that could be generated from licensing and/or building the illusion for years, so the idea of suing the MM doesn't hold up after an honest cost-risk analysis. I will say, however, that it is telling that the MM has not exposed origami. I suspect that fear of a lawsuit, and the related expense, may have prevented such an exposure (even though the MM probably would have prevailed in such a suit).

The other issue is that in any lawsuit the plaintiff has to prove damages; without damages, there is no cause of action. So what are a magician's damages from an exposure? One would have to prove that, due to a particular exposure, he or she gets less work as a magician. That's difficult, if not impossible to prove, and even if you could prove it, how do you quantify it? A builder might have a better argument, in that there might be less of a market for illusions that have been exposed on national television, but as I mentioned before, if a patent exists, that argument is a loser.

Which brings us to the crux of the matter. Other than bothering us, do exposures really hurt us? Can anyone honestly say that their pocketbook has been injured by the activities of the MM? The truth of the matter is that the general public is generally bored with magic secrets--only magicians truly care about secrets. Try this experiment: Find a layperson who has seen a recent episode of the MM, wait a month and then show that person clips of a real magician doing illusions that incorporate the principles exposed by the MM. My guess is that person would have little success in recalling and identifying the methods.

David Copperfield sells out just about everywhere he goes; Nathan Burton plays to capacity crowds every afternoon; Lance Burton extended his contract for six years, and yet the majority of the methods these illusionists use have been exposed by the MM. Writing about magician's secrets, Jim Steinmeyer once wrote that "Magicians guard an empty safe. . . . There are no real principles worthy of being cherished, only crude expediences." He goes on to make the point that what is most important about an illusion is not the secret, but in what the magician does to take such simple contrivances and turn them into miracles.

Lest I get skewered for this point of view, let me say that I understand people's emotional reaction to the MM's exposures and the sleazy manner in which he exploits things that aredear to us -- but aren't we wasting a lot of time and energy protecting an empty safe?
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Stop supporting FOX.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sadly, The Masked Moron is Finally in Malaysia... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL