The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Magic and Escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1900 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Here's a question for you escape guys and gals. I have focused for many years on magic and have not done any escapes. I do typical magic in the classic sense. I am thinking of adding an escape to my act to add some additional texture and punch. I've done metamorphosis in the past, which can be thought of as more 'magical' than escape. I'm thinking a good solid escape.

I need some ideas that would integrate the escape well within the act so it doesn't look so much as I was doing magic...now I'm doing an escape something entirely different. Any ideas to get the juices flowing would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Coram Deo
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Well since you have not done many I think I would go with a pre-built turn key escape... Although no escape will fit this category I suggest buying an item from here:

http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/catalog.html
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1900 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Kevin,

I'm not looking for a particular escape (I already one in mind and it is a pre-built escape from Mark and Shiela). I'm looking for a presentational angle that would dovetail into a 'magic' act and not look like something that doesn't belong in the show.
Coram Deo
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Your looking for a routine?... A story line?.. to connect it to your magic show?

Maybe you should explain some of your show to us... Also the escape you want to use if this is what you are looking for...

I have seen people mention how Harry was a great card magician while finishing up a card trick and continue the story line into there escapes...

OR

Mention how Harry always said you can tell a great magician by there cup and ball routine (while finishing doing cup and ball routine) than continue with the story line into there escapes...

OR

I have seen some bring out a straight jacket and use it in a Gospel show.. about breaking out of sin...

OR

Still others Talking about "Breaking The Chains" of whats holding us back in life to do a corporate show about success... While doing a chain escape.. Music in the backround etc..

I watched Don Caldwell a Family entertainer put on a straight jacket and when he got out he was holding an amazing 20 balloon creation from inside his straight jacket that looked impossible to have fit!

Ideas are endless if we know what effect you are talking about..
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Sounds like you're interested in a spirit tie...
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
A Kellar Tie routine is made to order, having graced both the Kellar and Blackstone shows.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1900 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
No, I have already selected an escape and it's a good one. I'm looking for an approach to make it seem more like magic rather than a skilled escape. I'm a magician; not an escape artist. As far as a message within the gospel or corporate vein, I do that all the time and that's not a problem and not what I'm looking for. However, when I'm doing a show for entertainment only and they're seeing manipulations, linking rings, some mentalism, some illusions, and some other things, how does introduce and/or perform an escape so I don't look like an escape artist. That's not my goal...I want to perceived as a magician.
Coram Deo
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If you want it to look like magic, get a straitjacket, or something you can put a spectator in and they can't get out. When you get in it, you can. But to really play it as magic and not just skill, you will have to get out fast, and most of us don't try to do that. Hope that helps a bit.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
What escape have you selected? Knowing that would help us to help you, presentation-wise.
- Albert Camus
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-05-31 12:11, Steve_Mollett wrote:
What escape have you selected? Knowing that would help us to help you, presentation-wise.

Yup that's what I asked twice..
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1900 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I'm thinking of the "Prisoner Interrogation Cell", but I don't think knowing the routine is critical. I'm looking for more of an presentational approach that I will use to incorporate my own style and character.
Coram Deo
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Hmmm...that effect smacks more of 'display of lock skill' than the 'mystery of magic,' IMHO.

Among Cannon's products, I would be more inclined toward something like the Sweat Box, the Barrel, or the Coffin escape. Perhaps even the Melt-Thru Manacles with the entire mirror setup.
- Albert Camus
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1900 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Which is why I asked the question...how can I present an escape as a magician and still make it seem like magic? Smile
Coram Deo
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
You want to make an escape look like magic.

To me Magicians do magic, escapologists do escapes !
Which ever way you look at it one would detract from the other, allied crafts maybe but would card tricks have a place in a P&J show or Fire-Eating in a balloon twisting act ?

Can see no positive purpose in this.

Ken.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Steven

Can you describe your style and how you would like an escape to fit it? Is there a beginning, a middle and and end, to your show? Is there a story or plot line? What purpose would the escape serve? Are you performing this for a single customer as a motivational tool? How would you introduce this effect and move past it?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
A magician could use an escape in a similar way that a mentalist uses a memory routine.

Its something that shows off a skill. And that skill helps you with your magic.

For example, a close-up card magician may present a lock picking demo as a means of practicing and honing their finger dexterity. The dexterity they need for being able to perform their complex slight of hand.

You could do the same kind of thing with the cell escape.

Its something you do to test yourself. Or to improve your mental/physical abilities in order to perform your magic.

This way you keep the escape as an escape. But at the same time it fits in with your other stuff.

Just a thought Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hi Steven, and welcome to the escape section.

The question you are putting to us is how can you make an escape look like a magic trick. The problem is that many of us try very hard to make an escape look like an escape, and specifically NOT a magic trick. Whole careers are made and lost on this premise in fact. You could even say we resent the implication that escapes and magic are considered so interchangeable by the magicians who visit with us here.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4499 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes chance is right ....... but ........ really WELCOME to the escape section Smile

Its the same witht eh freaks over at the side show section .... (some of whome are here as well)
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Oi, who you calling a..... No... Hang on... Freak would be right Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Magic and Escapes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL