The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How to bring in a gimmicked coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kamaitachi
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Kamaitachi
Hey,
I'm just starting out with coin magic, and I received my first gimmick today. I'd like to switch it for a spectator's coin, and I'm looking for a nice way to do it.

I bought MB's crimp change, but I think it's better for a visual change than an unnoticed switch.
Bobo's one handed switch needs a lot of cover, too.

What do you think about fingerpalming the coin in the other hand, and "false transferring" it? (is that the proper term? I just made it up)
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Hi!
I recommend to you that you need to learn the basics
BOBO, David Roth, David Stone are the best
bye!

pd : "Shuttle pass" its the correct form
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Shuttle pass is the standard way. Also a pocket switch or sleeving could be used if you are uncomfortable with too much sleight of hand.

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If you're switching in the same type coin then a casual and simple false transfer from hand to hand, one hand or turnover switch is best. You shouldn't make a magic moment or display out of the switch. It's not a visual 'magic moment' like when a coin transforms into another coin.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
You can do a Bobo switch, or simply display the real coin flat on your hand and do a false take, bringing to gaff into paly. As long as it's natural and no attention is brought to it, your spectator will never suspect a switch has been made.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Kam, welcome to the Café...Smile

Thanks for getting my Crimp Change and actually I have used it to switch in another like-coin at times. When done on the offbeat, it works very well. When used like this I refer to it as the "Crimp Switch." Also, the suggestion of getting down the basics is a good one and a Shuttle Pass would work well for you here as well. If you need any assistance with any of this just PM me. I am always glad to help. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Well you can very well use teh crimp change as a switch. All you need to do is borrow the coin by taking it with your palming hand and using the large action of gesturing towards yourself and saying "This one will be mine for the time being" or whatever floats your boat. And on the gesture, you can switch it because the coin goes out of view for just a second yete it appears to be the same when you bring it back into view because it is held in the same way. You could also borrow the coin with your palming hand and do a simple bobo switch lol. Just take it and toss it into the other hand to display it just a little bit or gesture casually to another spectator. Be creative with it. You can use the Shawn Judah switch if you want.
Kamaitachi
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Kamaitachi
When I would do a Bobo Switch to bring in the gimmick, I would not throw it in my hand 3 times, right? And I would not close my hand over it at all, but just leave it there, right?
Also, I'll practice my crimp change (I'm not fast enough yet Smile ).
False take sounds great, too. I need to find some info about it.
Thanks again Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 19:27, Kamaitachi wrote:
When I would do a Bobo Switch to bring in the gimmick, I would not throw it in my hand 3 times, right? And I would not close my hand over it at all, but just leave it there, right?

That's the idea, yes.

Quote:
Also, I'll practice my crimp change (I'm not fast enough yet Smile ).
False take sounds great, too. I need to find some info about it.
Thanks again Smile

As long as the 'take' or 'put' is natural and casual there will be no suspicion.
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
I would just go with a simple false transfer/shuttle pass. Don't do something too elaborate or unnatural, otherwise you will be drawing a lot of unnecessary attention to what should be a common gesture. You need to believe that you are simply transfering a coin from one hand to the other... talking and making eye contact while executing the FT/SP is good misdirection and helps avoid suspicion.

Good Luck,
Kyle
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Hey man, welcome to the world of coin magic. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

These two simple things helped me the most:

1) Practice in front of a mirror. It seriously helps sooo much. I could not believe how much it helped me. I used to blow off this tip until I tried it. It's now one of the best tools I have.

2) Practice actually tossing the coin into the other hand so you can see what it looks like. Keep doing this until you know exactly how it looks. Then try a switch or a pass like the ones everyone has helped out with above and practice making it look like you're actually tossing.

These two things moved me leaps and bounds forward.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Quote:
I would not throw it in my hand 3 times, right? And I would not close my hand over it at all, but just leave it there, right?
No you wouldn't lol. You would take the coin and do the Bobo switch right there. Just take the coin and do it. If you are working with a gimmicked quarter and a borrowed quarter, why would you need to close your hands around the coin? Just do it openly.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
Really there are so many options here, but I think for the least amount of movement and the most amount of visibility would be a spellbound type switch. Almost like a french drop, but literally switching the coins in full view as you display the coin in one hand and apparently take it with the other hand.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 16:41, Kamaitachi wrote:
Hey,
I'm just starting out with coin magic, and I received my first gimmick today. I'd like to switch it for a spectator's coin, and I'm looking for a nice way to do it.

I bought MB's crimp change, but I think it's better for a visual change than an unnoticed switch.
Bobo's one handed switch needs a lot of cover, too.

What do you think about fingerpalming the coin in the other hand, and "false transferring" it? (is that the proper term? I just made it up)

You're asking good questions. A fingertip exchange can serve you in some contexts. Something has to motivate that transfer.

What is the larger context of your desired routine? IE have you shown them any props before asking for the loan of a coin? What do you intend to do after you have the coin in hand? What would you like them to be looking at before you start the magical effect?

How long do you have in your routine between when you get the coin and when you need to start using the gaff?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Kam, the more I read this string the more I think you just need to read through Bobo's a bit more than you might've already as to all this stuff to get a good handle on how you gitter done. Smile It doesn't happen in a day or a week or more, it truly takes some time to get used to all of it as a symphony. There are a lot of elements to all this and to single out steps here and there just to make something happen for the moment is sure to lead you round and round in circles. Just practice the book and whatever sources you find of interest. One of the best things to do is to find yourself a real life mentor but that doesn't happen often, didn't happen to me growing up. Smile You have to wade through it and then things will start making sense. Your hands will begin to understand what you need them to do and to what end. It all comes in time. For instance, the Dime & Penny Trick is easy and anyone can do it almost immediately. Effects like Mirage Et Trois, Mr. Clean Coins Across, 3-Fly take quite a bit more time and effort to do them well. Underneath all that magic is a lot of know-how, practice and mechanics. So take it slow and endeavor to understand the whys & hows, then put in the real work and practice and you will see all kinds of magic materialize at your fingertips. Smile Good luck on your journey. -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Kamaitachi
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Kamaitachi
MB, thanks for the motivation.
Also, thanks for making me call every thread a "string" from now on Smile

Jonathan, I thought I already replied to you yesterday.. but theres no reply in this string (ha!)... I think something went wrong.
Anyways, I don't have a "routine" yet, as I just perform for friends and family, and mostly show them one or two tricks in a row. There is no bigger context yet, I guess.
It's a bite coin, I always wanted to get one of those Smile

What exactly did you mean with that line:
"What would you like them to be looking at before you start the magical effect?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How to bring in a gimmicked coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL