The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
This is the acr I devised after a lot of thought and reconstruction. It was inspired by Jonathan Kamm's. I was looking for constructive feedback. Anything would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZzCvMUIDg

Thanks a lot,
Josh
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2901 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Hi josh, your acr routine is quite long for my taste, but very good nonetheless! You have some nice reveals and your skills are good. I watched the news clip of you performing in the restaurant and you seem to be popular there! Congrats on actually performing for a living, not very many magicians do this, keep learning and you'll have a great future ahead of you Smile Welcome to the Magic Café btw
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Thanks a lot for all the wonderful compliments. I've heard others say things about how my acr is a little bit of a stretch as far as length. I'm a fan of all the phases I use, its hard to find a couple to eliminate. Thanks for the valuable input, keep in touch.

Josh
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1465 Posts

Profile of jstone
Josh,

Nice routine brother. Just a couple of points of feedback. In my opinion:

1. It's too long
  2. It's too fast
  3. The final Palm should be off the bottom

Let me explain:
I think the "too long" thing is pretty self-explanatory. One thing to consider, however, it making the routine in performance so that you use some of the reveals and sort of play it by ear to determine which one's you'll use rather than using them all.

On the "too fast" comment, I would suggest slowing down and pausing between each reveal to let the moment sink in. Granted, some of the problem might be due to the fact that you're performing for a camera rather than an audience, but it's still something to consider. Think about it when you perform. Try to be aware of how fast or slow you're going.

The comment about the palm coming from the bottom was simply that in one moment the signature is showing on the back of the top card, then suddenly it's not there. It would be pretty obvious to a layperson that you somehow stole it because the see it "vanish." If it were palmed from the bottom, however, they wouldn't notice that the card is missing once you palmed.

Anyway, there's no question that you've got talent and some pretty darn solid technical skill. I appreciate the fact that you're looking for constructive feedback. Good luck to you brother.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Jeff,
Thanks a lot for the feedback, it really helps. I can defiantly agree about it being to long and me rushing through the phases. I table hop at restaurants and because of it being a little long, I tend to rush through it sometimes. The part where the signature on the back is never a problem. By the time I top palm, the effect is already done in the spectators eyes and they are not looking at the deck. I also turn the cards face down as soon as I palm it live. However, I left that out in this video.
Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Josh
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I loved the routine!!

But just a word about the length. It may be a little long for some peoples tastes. The ACR is something that I've seen debated on many fourms and I'm sure that this fourm is no exeption. Some people think that four phases is enough. Some think ten. Darwin Ortiz claims that the correct number of phases is six. It all tends to be very personal.

I think how long it is, is up to you to decide. Mine tends to run a little long as well. However, there have been longer routines. Just ask Dayrl about the routine he used to win the FISM award. I've never heard anyone say that they thought Dayrl's routine was to long in that instance.

But of course its all a matter of opinion and preference. As long as it doesn't get dull and each revelation seems more impossible than the last... I really don't see the difference. If your spectators are entertained, that's what matters. Keep doing what works for you.

As Jeff said above though, it is a tad fast. But like Jeff I suppose that could just be the way it came out for the camera.

V
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Thanks a lot V, that's really encouraging, I'll keep in mind what you said.
Josh
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Josh,

I would love to discuss this routine, through pm, if you are interested.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 02:19, Voldemort wrote:
Just ask Daryl about the routine he used to win the FISM award. I've never heard anyone say that they thought Dayrl's routine was to long in that instance.

Great point V.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Hi ben,
I tried pming you but the system won't let me because you don't have any more room for new topics??? I'm not sure, but I would love to get feedback from you on this routine...don't hesitate to message me back.

Thanks a lot,
Josh
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Hi Josh,

I personally think that as long as it's entertaining the time should be moot! Only 2 comments I will make are A) You sound and play like Kamm in many areas. B) Your "move" for the wallet could use some polish! Other than that I found it to be purdy darn good and has a lot of nice touches!

I look forward to seeing your progress,

MMc
Chris Brown
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Chris Brown
The slip cut at 2:46 yelled in my ear, tell it to shut up. lol.

I like the idea with the back signed card at the end. If you get another card of the mirrored suit (Diamonds with hearts...Clubs with spades) you can actually put the card in at an angle to where the angels are barely showing from the corners and turn it face up so they can see their card still there. This will really mess with their minds because my first thought at this end point is "wow, he's don this so many times that I don't think its there in that other pack anymore. Even with that double to show the X card to sign the back of, it still feels like they're being set up. Its iffy though. Your way is nice and my way just might be beating a dead horse. But I believe its a nice visual connection and reassurance that their card is there in plain site. Its the idea of flashing something on purpose. Its not running when you aren't being chased...its a soother. You don't even need to call attention to it. Just leave it there and don't talk about their card being in that other pack.

The palm might fly in public. People will rip you apart here at the Café merely because that's all we're looking at. We can't see your face or the other people who would be watching. But if you haven't done so already, flip through The Expert at the Card Table and nail a solid palm. The hand should spend as little time over the deck as possible. A one handed palm is always beautiful.

My 2 cents. Spend it on yourself or give it away, either way will work.

Persist.
Chris Brown
Buy Venus Trap here -
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Buy Orbit Control here -
http://store.dananddave.com/orbit-control-chris-brown.html

myspace.com/orbitbrown
youtube.com/orbitbrown
twitter.com/o
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Chris,
Thanks a lot for the input, It goes a long way. I will experiment with that idea, I like it a lot. I think that flash could really work, so I'll toy around with it at the restaurant a bit and see how it plays out. I actually just finished expert at the card table and my palm is a lot better now. As you said, in public it does fly. Misdirection is much easier there as you know. Again, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it....keep in touch.

Josh
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Mickey,
I agree, I am friends with Kamm and he is my teacher. A lot of my moves are influenced by him and I end up sounding like him a lot. I'm trying to steer away from that. Thanks for the advice.

Josh
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Josh,

I know exactly what ya mean! I had a sales job in my early 20's and I rode with a mentor for some time and after 6 months you couldn't tell our presentations apart! I not only mimicked his pitch word for word but I actually adopted his mannerisms and inflections as well! LOL

I think it took me twice as long to consciously make myself change and develop my own style and presentation!

I will tell ya this though..... Kamm's ACR IS one of my favorites!

MMc
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I have made room in my message box.

Love,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The palm needs lots of work. I would strongly suggest picking up John Carney's DVD or his downloads on the Buck Twins's site.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
The first color change, the force, and the palm are all I would suggest you take another look at but they've all been discussed.

My only other suggestion would be to find a motivation for putting half the cards on the table when it comes to the "top of the top".
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Chris, Duncan,

thanks a lot for you input, I can agree with a lot of it. My palm, I must say has changed over the couple months this video has been up. I do appreciate your time in helping me.

Chris SD,
do you have any suggestions for a reason why I would put the other stock on the table during my "top of the top" part?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
858 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Hey Josh,

Pretty good stuff. I second Jeff's suggestion that you bottom palm at the end. It would be a simple matter to nonchalantly shuffle the card back into the deck (controlling it to the bottom) while talking to the patrons. The dialogue should be such that there is no reason for them to focus on the fact that you are shuffling. To them the trick is over, so there is little heat. Even if there was, a bottom palm would go unnoticed if done correctly.

From my experience, as long as the card is in sight people are going to want to see it. Even though you said you wristkill the deck at the restaurant, the card was still on top of the deck and they won't forget it was there. After they see it in the wallet and the effect registers, the first thing they will think is, "Where was the card last time I saw it?" The answer: "On top." AKA Right beneath his palm.

A bottom palm destroys the idea that it was on top, because they would have seen the signature.
Their second suspicion might be that it was on bottom. This would only be a guess, whereas when it's on top they know for sure it was there.

I have no doubt that the way you do it now is fine for the restaurant, but I think Jeff's right about the bottom palm.

Best,

T.J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL