The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cyberdog
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cyberdog
You are relly good! I actually loved the fast handling and except for the last part of the palming which was too obvious It was pretty good
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of jcroop
This is very nice.

I agree that the first color change, although very nice, is not consistent with the rest of the routine. Similarly the "just a shake away" color change. I guess I'm saying that color changes are not the way to go for this plot.

I personally have never liked the marking of the X on the top card, only to have the ambitious card rise and now have the X on the back. I think this also suggests that the ambitious card was really the card you marked.

I think that the idea for the bottom palm is excellent because of the X on the back of the card. But if there is no X, you can top palm.

Finally, I do not like to use terms such as "funny breaks or holds" or other technical terms for lay people. It is no longer a magical routine, it becomes a technical process.

I think the motivation to decrease the number of cards to make it easier to follow is sufficient justification for putting half of the deck aside. But, you have to stay with it, or as Daryl does, go to even fewer cards (hence part of the beauty of the structure of his routine).

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Jim,
Thanks a lot for you input, I really appreciate it. I can defiantly understand what you mean about using words like break, hold, crimp with laymen. This is a very good point that I never thought of. I must say, reactions with using the x ending have always been the strongest in the routine. I also like that you think the color changes should be eliminated and used for later routines or effects. I like that idea a lot.

A lot taken from your advice, thank you very much...keep in touch.

Josh
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1612 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
One more suggestion, look for Tong Chang (He is a member here), his blog double facers has a very nice, casual the Ambitious Card routine for your viewing pleasure. (Oh, also the latest Micheal Vincent Classic Magic 3 DVD set is a must for you.)

Other than that, the Ambitious Card is a very 'personal' thing, it will keep on evolve over the years as long as you continue the quest in card magic.

Just remember, have fun and enjoy.

Regards,
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Thanks a lot Steven, I will look out for Tong Chang..i think I've come across him before...keep in touch,

Josh
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
857 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Aaron Fisher's THE PAPER ENGINE has some good subtleties for the bluff pass/replacement also. The way you do it looks good, but this subtlety is extremely convincing. Check it out.

T.J.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1246 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Most of the technical skill is there, and the small amount that isn't quite 100% shows a lot of promise. The presentation was what made it feel long to me. It was dry and almost monotone in the delivery.

Interestingly, months and months ago I came across your teacher's ACR on youtube and posted a comment that it was really good but that I thought his presentation was pretty dry and mechanical. I also thought it was a step backward to say "now I do the move" as he does a pass... even if it IS totally clean. I personally feel that if you're going to use the patter line of a "move" that makes the magic happen, it should be removed for the actual method... but I don't really like that line of patter much anyway. Mr. Kamm was not too happy with my attempt at constructive criticism. I applaud you for listening to and appreciating the comments you have received. Anyone who thinks he has finished learning... well, has...
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 02:11, pearljamjeff wrote:
Mr. Kamm was not too happy with my attempt at constructive criticism. I applaud you for listening to and appreciating the comments you have received. Anyone who thinks he has finished learning... well, has...

Thank you for you input. I do appreciate it. My teacher hasn't finished learning though, he just listens to people who are better and more experienced than he is. Why would a veteran surgeon listen to the advice of a student who just graduated med school?
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1246 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 10:54, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Kamm was not too happy with my attempt at constructive criticism. I applaud you for listening to and appreciating the comments you have received. Anyone who thinks he has finished learning... well, has...

Thank you for you input. I do appreciate it. My teacher hasn't finished learning though, he just listens to people who are better and more experienced than he is. Why would a veteran surgeon listen to the advice of a student who just graduated med school?

This is also what he mentioned to me. I can see how it would be easy to take that stance, but I firmly disagree with that premise, as it is highly restrictive to progress. The best in any field realize that there is something to learn from everyone (even the new graduate surgeon), rather than picking and choosing who to take constructive criticism from.

Imagine the world's best singer (insert whomever you'd like here) is performing at a public concert, and afterward, a young person who had been singing for a while (but obviously isn't as experienced or talented) came up to her backstage and told her that she was really really good, but she was a little off-key on song number 3. Everyone else heard it too but didn't want to say anything because they obviously weren't as experienced or talented. The singer would be wise to listen to the criticism of the brave young person who wasn't afraid to point out the flaws. Not only that, but if someone with less experience and talent than you can find flaws in your execution, you should probably listen even more closely to them, as the mistakes were obvious enough to be pointed out by an amateur.

In my other life, I'm in market research. If I've learned one thing from working in that field, it's that EVERY opinion counts and matters, even if you disagree with it.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
[/quote]
Imagine the world's best singer (insert whomever you'd like here) is performing at a public concert, and afterward, a young person who had been singing for a while (but obviously isn't as experienced or talented) came up to her backstage and told her that she was really really good, but she was a little off-key on song number 3. Everyone else heard it too but didn't want to say anything because they obviously weren't as experienced or talented. The singer would be wise to listen to the criticism of the brave young person who wasn't afraid to point out the flaws. Not only that, but if someone with less experience and talent than you can find flaws in your execution, you should probably listen even more closely to them, as the mistakes were obvious enough to be pointed out by an amateur.
[/quote]

We see things just a little differently, that's all. Its not about whether or not someone disagrees, its truly about experience. I will listen to everyone's advice and I take it all in. I am very unexperienced compared to people like Jonathan Kamm. But with a background like he has, and from someone who performs professionally weekly for the last 20 years, I have to understand that through that person's trials and errors, all tracks have been covered. If the person giving the advice does not perform live frequently, they can't possibly understand what the vet knows.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Refusing to listen to someone younger or newer in just about ANY area is just plain naive (ignorant seems to fit as well)!

I have learned things in my profession from both young and old, new and veteran! The day I quit learning is the day I should retire! You can always learn something, even if it's what NOT to do!

MMc
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 13:34, pearljamjeff wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 10:54, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:

This is also what he mentioned to me. I can see how it would be easy to take that stance, but I firmly disagree with that premise, as it is highly restrictive to progress. The best in any field realize that there is something to learn from everyone (even the new graduate surgeon), rather than picking and choosing who to take constructive criticism from.

In my other life, I'm in market research. If I've learned one thing from working in that field, it's that EVERY opinion counts and matters, even if you disagree with it.

...also you said that you firmly disagree with what I said because it is highly restrictive to progress....but if you are getting advice from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, wouldn't that be detrimental to your progress. And just for Kamm's defense, by posting his videos up on youtube doesn't mean he's asking for advice or 'constructive criticism, this would be people saying that what he is doing is wrong and that would be 'destructive' criticism.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Oh lord.

I won't get into this- it's been covered before. Suffice to say someone can work professionally for many years and STILL suck bad, and still be very very wrong.

Love,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 18:17, MickeyPainless wrote:
Refusing to listen to someone younger or newer in just about ANY area is just plain naive (ignorant seems to fit as well)!

I have learned things in my profession from both young and old, new and veteran! The day I quit learning is the day I should retire! You can always learn something, even if it's what NOT to do!

MMc

Micky,
I am unexperienced in magic, and I take in all the advice I can get. I was making an argument for someone else. No one here said that there isn't listening going on. I think everyone listens to what someone has to say. But if someone has tried out both ends of the spectrum than there is nothing more to be done...no?
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 18:24, Ben Train wrote:
Oh lord.

I won't get into this- it's been covered before. Suffice to say someone can work professionally for many years and STILL suck bad, and still be very very wrong.

Love,
Ben

Ben,
What I'm trying to say is that this goes both ways, am I wrong? And I would still like to discuss this thread through pming if you don't mind?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
More then happy to Josh.

I leave for NY though tomorrow morning (5:30 am- don't ask), and then I'm on the road.

Why don't you pm me a phone number and we can chat?

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 18:26, joshsmagic wrote:
Micky,
I am unexperienced in magic, and I take in all the advice I can get. I was making an argument for someone else. No one here said that there isn't listening going on.

Josh I know you've been listening and I applaud you for it! I was referring to that "someone else" but rather than elaborate, I'll follow Ben's lead and remain mum!

MMc
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Does anyone see anything wrong with my opener other than the technical work on the color change. That first color change is just an opener for the routine, and I transition into the acr with it rising to the top directly after the color change. Then to make things more fair, their name is written on it and the routine begins...
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 18:21, joshsmagic wrote:
And just for Kamm's defense, by posting his videos up on youtube doesn't mean he's asking for advice or 'constructive criticism, this would be people saying that what he is doing is wrong and that would be 'destructive' criticism.

What exactly IS he asking for then ??? Only comments that say how brilliant the performance is ? If that is so then YouTube postings with comments enabled is the wrong way to go.

I actually like JK's ACR a great deal, but not 100%. Is that opinion worthless ?
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2901 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The presentation of an effect leaves a lot of room for opinions and tastes. What might be my taste, another might hate. What some people don't like about Kamm's ACR others might really dig, or what other's would like to see Kamm do, he might hate the idea. Now should the experience level of the magician determine whether or not Kamm likes/hates an idea? NO!! That would truley be ignorance and I hope he isn't that way.

At Kamm's level of skill, there's not any sleights that I know of that he does that are unskillful and is in great need of improvement. Could a few of them use some polishing? Sure, we all could use some polish on our sleights, including Kamm. Now is the amount of polishing needed to 'perfect' the move going to affect the outcome or opinion of a normal spectator viewing his routine? probably not and I can see where he would discount someones thought/opinion in that regard.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL