The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
I concur with Nate Kranzo's description of Tommy Wonder's performance of his ACR. He nailed it, of course. He always nailed it, and everything else. It was a pleasure to have known him in my lifetime, even back in the early days when he was simply known as Jos Bema...
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2900 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I purchased PIXEL up and I think that it is a very visual ending to an ACR. I was talking with a friend and it's right up there with the Omni Deck. Definitely worth the $8.

http://store.dananddave.com/pixel.html

Here's another utility move to use in your ACR, it's really sweet!

http://store.dananddave.com/undercover-s......lat.html
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Back No 67
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Back No 67
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 23:12, lunatik wrote:
I purchased PIXEL up and I think that it is a very visual ending to an ACR. I was talking with a friend and it's right up there with the Omni Deck. Definitely worth the $8.

http://store.dananddave.com/pixel.html

Here's another utility move to use in your ACR, it's really sweet!

http://store.dananddave.com/undercover-s......lat.html

I use the undercover switch when using a different a different backed playing card, It works really well. It takes a bit of getting used to but totally worth it. I also have my own version of pixel that I have been doing for a while. I don't use it in an ambitious routine but still great.

Ed
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Having just spent the weekend around the Bucks and a host of others doing "Pixel" I'll have to agree that it could make a fine addition to a ACR!

MMc
Chris Brown
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Chris Brown
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 01:50, MickeyPainless wrote:
Having just spent the weekend around the Bucks and a host of others doing "Pixel" I'll have to agree that it could make a fine addition to a ACR!

MMc

lol, we came up with so many new variations.
Buy Venus Trap here -
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Buy Orbit Control here -
http://store.dananddave.com/orbit-control-chris-brown.html

myspace.com/orbitbrown
youtube.com/orbitbrown
twitter.com/o
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
You guys were coming up with variations of variations of already great variations! The creative juices flowing around there were staggering to say the least!

MMc
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
ThomasJ,

Oh, you're right, others have mentioned using a side steal or bottom palm. I skimmed through the threads and mostly noticed the comments about the presentation and and the palming technique. Glad Im not the only one who feels a different plam would work better.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Dan Garrett,

Is that you garrettdn? If so, long time no see! Is the JG Thomson bent card very different from the standard Braue Pop Up? That's a really slick handling for the card to wallet. I really like the structure because it seems like the card and deck is out of your hands completely. Really slick. I like that idea a lot.
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
I also really like the idea of cutting the bent card back to the top, re-establishing the double bent card, then palming off the selection. Never seen that before.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 13:07, Engali wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 03:51, joshsmagic wrote:

My current method does work. the card to wallet is a separate effect from the acr. By the time the acr is over everyone's attention is reacting to the routine. In live performance mode I top palm a lot cleaner now, than in the video, and when I place the deck back on the table it is placed face down. Thank you for your insight.

It wasn't a question of whether or not it "works". You asked for advice on how your ACR can be *improved* and I gave it to you. It seems in a lot of ways your pretty stuck on doing your ACR the way you've been taught. Let me put it to you this way using your logic.

You say that the card to wallet is a separate effect. Byy the time you get to that effect people think it's over. Okay. Let's imagine that you didn't do the ACR at all and you really were doing a card to wallet by itself. Let's further imagine that, for whatever reason, you had the card signed front and back for the card to wallet. Now honestly, would you place the card on top of the deck and top palm it with a wrist kill to do the card to wallet? Do you really think that's the most convincing way to do a card to wallet? Imho, no. The initial conditions don't set up the climax.

The bottom line is that people may be *surprised* when they see the card in the wallet, but where did they see it last? On top of the deck. Their only logical conclusion is that you palmed it off the deck...and they'd be right. That's not magic. Losing it in the center would better to set up the impossibility of the climax. I think, in this case actually , shuffling it into the deck would be even better.

But hey, it's your ACR.

Engali,
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not arguing with anybody and I am thanking everyone for their advice, I listen to all of it and I take it all in. That's exactly what I wanted. I am trying what people have been suggesting at work, that's the whole point of asking for new ideas. To answer your question about why wouldn't I shuffle the card into the deck and sidesteal, is because that's adding an extra phase to the card to wallet. I think it goes back to what vernon says, making our magic simple and direct. By eliminating phases or steps like shuffling the card in the deck is more powerful magic. The acr is finished everyones reacting, then BAMMM! your card has been in my wallet the whole time! That's powerful.

I can see why you think doing a wristkill would make them think something. I have a gimmick wallet. Lay people don't know about 'gimmick' wallets. The trick is done, the cards are FACE UP on the table (sorry about the last post), and whether the card was on the top, the table, the bottom, or in their hand, the effect is over and they don't care where it was, but now its in my wallet.. how?

I honestly hope you're not taking this as a crude response, because its not. I've gotten a lot off feedback from people saying I should bottom palm or sidesteal, and I've been trying it, but I'm finding out, its not making a difference or making anything more powerful, its another step I have to add, and I'm not sure if I like that. But I got opinions on it and I'm trying it out, that's what's important to me.

Lunatik,
In response to the pixel idea, that's great! I just learned it last night and I'm excited to try it out. Thank you.

Dan Garret,
in response to the bent card on top and then loading that into your wallet. Genius. That's all I can say. I love the X ending Jon Kamm uses, but I always juggle between that and the bent card. What a wonderful idea, to cut the indifferent bent card back on top, and actually let them shuffle in their bent card! That's sound so powerful, I'm extremely excited to try it. Thanks so much for the input, this really helps.

Sorry this message was so long, I wanted to respond to as many as I could in one response.

Thanks again,
Josh
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
You dodged my question. Would you perform a card to wallet this way? And please don't invoke Vernon here; I'm almost certain he'd agree that replacing a selection on top of the deck and then palming it off the to do a card to wallet, esp. when the card is signed on the back as well, is poor construction. In fact, after the shock they'll look back to the deck and see it tabled face up and can easily reconstruct when you might've taken the card...and again, they'd be right.

Read Strong magic to understand why it's important to set up initial conditions for any particular climax. In this case, *losing the card in the deck* would set up the impossibility of it traveling to your wallet because apparently not knowing where the card is would make it seem harder to just palm to the wallet, no? That might even border on magic. I think you missed the entire point of my last post:

"The bottom line is that people may be *surprised* when they see the card in the wallet, but where did they see it last? On top of the deck. Their only logical conclusion is that you palmed it off the deck...and they'd be right. That's not magic."

It doesn't matter they may or may not know about gimmicked wallets. Do you think spectators might not just think that you palmed it and slipped it into a regular wallet? You say you tried it with a side steal, but how many times? As many as doing it the way you obviously want to stick with? If not, you should really gain some more experience with a new handling to give it a fair shot, esp. when you go in with a predisposition for the way you're used to doing it. Like I said, it's your ACR, but when you come in and ask for advice and an overwhelming number of people suggest the same thing, at least one with decades of experience, do you really think they're all wrong on this point? Maybe they're on to something.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1246 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Here's what's in my head re: your ending.

After all that coming to the top of the deck, it would be nice for it to have a reason to go into your wallet. Otherwise, why did that happen? To prove it was in your wallet the whole time? I don't think so, and the spectators won't think so either. To show that it "traveled" to your wallet? Sure, but how did it travel there? Well, he must have put it in there while we weren't watching. Simple reconstruction.

Here's what I would do... IF you were doing a sitting down presentation. Now, I know you table hop, but if there's an open seat at the end of the table, I don't think most people would mind you pulling up a chair, especially if you justify it somehow (but that's a whole other discussion).

Ok, so you're sitting, you have an X card and card to wallet with a dollar bill stuck to the back with magi w*x in your jacket pocket. After the routine, their X card is on the table. Palm the d*pe, switch and l*p the original. Under the guise of moving your chair back to retrieve your wallet, p**m the lapped card into the wallet. Remember, they "see" it still on the table. One hand removes the bill from the wallet and places it into palm. Using the metamorphosis change, or any visual l*pping change, the X card is seen to have changed to a dollar bill. Now, it makes sense that if there is a bill on the table, maybe there should be a card in the wallet.

Just an idea. Take it or leave it.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
854 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 14:33, joshsmagic wrote:

Sorry this message was so long, I wanted to respond to as many as I could in one response.

Thanks again,
Josh

While conveniently failing to respond to me 3 times in this thread. Do you really appreciate all feedback? Just a thought.

T.J.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 17:05, ThomasJ wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 14:33, joshsmagic wrote:

Thanks again,
Josh

While conveniently failing to respond to me 3 times in this thread. Do you really appreciate all feedback? Just a thought.

T.J.

With you mentioning what other people have said and agreeing with them, I felt it irrelevant to comment.

Josh
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 15:36, pearljamjeff wrote:
Here's what's in my head re: your ending.

After all that coming to the top of the deck, it would be nice for it to have a reason to go into your wallet. Otherwise, why did that happen? To prove it was in your wallet the whole time? I don't think so, and the spectators won't think so either. To show that it "traveled" to your wallet? Sure, but how did it travel there? Well, he must have put it in there while we weren't watching. Simple reconstruction.

Here's what I would do... IF you were doing a sitting down presentation. Now, I know you table hop, but if there's an open seat at the end of the table, I don't think most people would mind you pulling up a chair, especially if you justify it somehow (but that's a whole other discussion).

Ok, so you're sitting, you have an X card and card to wallet with a dollar bill stuck to the back with magi w*x in your jacket pocket. After the routine, their X card is on the table. Palm the d*pe, switch and l*p the original. Under the guise of moving your chair back to retrieve your wallet, p**m the lapped card into the wallet. Remember, they "see" it still on the table. One hand removes the bill from the wallet and places it into palm. Using the metamorphosis change, or any visual l*pping change, the X card is seen to have changed to a dollar bill. Now, it makes sense that if there is a bill on the table, maybe there should be a card in the wallet.

Just an idea. Take it or leave it.

That's an interesting idea, I will have to experiment.

Thanks a lot,
Josh
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
854 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Josh,

First post was regarding a bottom palm and how you could incorporate it into the effect without arousing suspicion. Jeff Stone suggested the bottom palm, and I elaborated on how it would fit into the routine. I think it was a couple paragraphs. I wouldn't have gone into detail if I didn't think you would take it into consideration. I guess I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Second post was regarding a nice subtlety on the bluff replacement. Perhaps you could refresh me where that was posted before I said something about it in this thread.

Third post was more or less asking you a question rather than agreeing with an aforementioned point.

I wonder if you would have responded to my posts if my avatar made me look a little older than you think I am.

T.J.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you I thought it was great.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 18:13, ThomasJ wrote:
Josh,

First post was regarding a bottom palm and how you could incorporate it into the effect without arousing suspicion. Jeff Stone suggested the bottom palm, and I elaborated on how it would fit into the routine. I think it was a couple paragraphs. I wouldn't have gone into detail if I didn't think you would take it into consideration. I guess I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Second post was regarding a nice subtlety on the bluff replacement. Perhaps you could refresh me where that was posted before I said something about it in this thread.

Third post was more or less asking you a question rather than agreeing with an aforementioned point.

I wonder if you would have responded to my posts if my avatar made me look a little older than you think I am.

T.J.

Sorry about that Thomas
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-14 18:23, tommy wrote:
Thank you I thought it was great.

Thanks Tommy
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1465 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 18:00, joshsmagic wrote:
But with a background like he has, and from someone who performs professionally weekly for the last 20 years, I have to understand that through that person's trials and errors, all tracks have been covered.

ALL tracks? Really? I'll bet even Kamm himself would disagree with that. I've been doing magic for about 20 years, and just the other day, my son who is 11 and has not done a single magic trick in his life gave me advice that was extremely valuable.

Using your example of the veteran surgeon, are you truly saying that a brand new graduate has NOTHING to offer? Maybe the graduate just learned of a technique that day from his instructor who happened to also be the instructor of the 20 year veteran. The instructor, based on your premise clearly knows more than both the student and the 20 year vet, so isn't it possible (however remotely) that the newbie has something to offer the vet?

Jay Sankey was lecturing when he was 17. Yeah maybe he was cocky and young and didn't have a lot of experience, but that didn't stop David Copperfield from wanting to use Jay's trick on TV.

Open your mind brother. Smile

I'm with PearlJamJeff on this one: Anyone who thinks he has finished learning... well, has...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good ACR? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL