The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Nickles to Dimes question: avoiding inspection. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I have a quick question about Nickles to Dimes, but first let me explain the situation causing this question: I was doing saome magic at the place I work at, and one of the effects I was using was Nickles to Dimes (not the standard routine, but that doesn't matter)and one lady asked if she could inspect the nickles before I went on with the trick. I just said "oh, come on, I'm not that good" and she laughed and I went on with the trick. I think it went fine, but one of my ever-constant "co-workers" who was getting quite on my nerves (and also about my age of 15) later came up to me and essentially told me how it was done due to this occurence. So really all I want to know is what should I do to avoid people asking if they can inspect the nickles? I know I'm going to get answer like "it's just about crowd control, which you'll learn eventually" but I'd like to get real answers. Is there some kind of switch that I can do to trade in and out the "dirty" nickles, L*** and all (PM me if so, please), or, since I usually do several effects before NtD, should I never let ANYthing be inspected, no matter what? Also, are there some lines or something that will throw suspision off the "dirty" items? Thanks for all your help, and sorry if this should have gone in another section.

JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I think you handled it extremely well. If someone happens to guess the way it works, so be it. Just say "I really don't know how it works myself" or something to that effect and let it drop. You're doing fine.

Jim
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
If they ask to see the nickels, say 'sure, it'll be just a second and you can check them out'. then proceed with the routine and you're good to go
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
This is why it's hard to perform for people you know well. They often feel at liberty to grab your stuff, interrupt you, ask embarrassing questions, etc. On the one hand, it points out potential weaknesses in your routines, but on the other, it can destroy the flow of your performance.

I've simply stopped doing magic with props that defy inspection in these circumstances. Save them for when you are engaged in a longer act with strangers.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
It's also possible that you were handling the stack in a way that telegraphed to the specs the fact that something was unusual about it. Perhaps holding it a little too gingerly or stiffly?

Anyway, I suppose it would be possible to switch a real stack of inspected nickles for the gaffed ones by using sleight-of-hand (a Shuttle Pass would be good for this, see Volume 1 of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" DVD's; click HERE for more info.)

But that sounds like an awful lot of work for Nickels to Dimes! For that matter, if you DID perfect the work needed to ring a gaff like that in and out, you would do much better applying it to a Stack of Quarters-type effect like "Whisper," click HERE to view. The method is not as transparent as Nickles to Dimes, and done correctly, no one would ever suspect the stack. This is "Nickles to Dimes" for grown-ups!

BTW, welcome to the Café', and remember -- you can't fool ALL the people ALL the time! Smile SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 10:49, sethb wrote:
It's also possible that you were handling the stack in a way that telegraphed to the specs the fact that something was unusual about it. Perhaps holding it a little too gingerly or stiffly?

I doubt that's likely considering I have the nickles on the table the whole time, I just keep them under a cup to avoid people messing with them before I start using the NtD routine, and just move them one time so they are in a visible spot. But I'll look into those passes you mentioned. Thanks, seth, and everyone else.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Say yes you can inspect the nickels, vanish them, then make them reappear in your pocket and hand them out for inspection. Seriously Jim, you are 15 years old. Throw out the nickels to dimes, get the Bobo Modern Coin Magic and start learning some sleight-of-hand. Nickels to Dimes is a little children's toy.
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 19:21, noble1 wrote:
Say yes you can inspect the nickels, vanish them, then make them reappear in your pocket and hand them out for inspection. Seriously Jim, you are 15 years old. Throw out the nickels to dimes, get the Bobo Modern Coin Magic and start learning some sleight-of-hand. Nickels to Dimes is a little children's toy.

Uh, for you information, I know a lot of slight of hand. In fact I know more slieght of hand then I do gimmicked tricks (when it comes to close up, anyway). My standard coin manipulation routine has given me better reactions than I could have ever hoped for. And I personally enjoy NtD very much, it's simplicity is quite mind-blowing, in my opinion/experience. My rattle box, on the other hand...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I just said "oh, come on, I'm not that good".

Avoid saying that in the future. Just a suggestion, but you could of said something like, "Yay right, this is my lunch money." Or, something funny. As soon as you said what you said, it led to the belief you might be using trick coins. When you perform for friends and family, as mentioned above, they will want to touch and inspect everything. You could look at doing a switch if you know how. By the way, having an understanding of controlling your spectator's is essential when doing close-up and IS a real answer. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Yeah, I do plan on either getting a new "line" and/or figuring out a switch to use for the future. And also, I don't deny that "have an understanding of controlling your spectator's is essential when doing close-up" is a real answer, it's just a very general answer that will do me no good left at that. Oh, and I do like the lunch money joke you mentioned, I'll have to try out some stuff and see if I can find something that works well for me. Thanks for all your help, everyone,
JIMC64
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I highly recommend getting some books on it. I found Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz very helpful, especially his follow up book, "Designing Miracles".

It will teach you how to use the audience's own thinking patterns against them. There are other books by other author's I'm sure, but these books came highly recommended, and I was glad I bought them.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
I pitch nickels to dimes in a magic store. It is NOT a kids toy or trick. It is a strong pieces of magic. I start by tossing the four single nickels on the mat and explain that I have a magic ring. I pick up the nickels with the feke and dimes in the same hand. I move the ring to one corner of the mat with the other hand and come back and pick the feke stack with that hand. The single nickels are now in my hand ready for the nickels through the hand ending. People who own the trick and are watching it, give me a funny look and usually say something like "I missed something somewhere!"

The 3 part routine of Nickels to Dimes is good theater with a beginning, middle, and end. At the end all could be examined. I say this and VERY few people have actually picked up the cap, ring, or nickels.

This IS the best beginning trick in magic. Easy to do, everything can be examined, good theater and fools everyone. That is why it is the number one selling magic trick in the world. If you don't own a set, come to Myrtle Beach and I will sell you a set AND teach you the proper way to do it.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merl
Pitchman at Broadway magic.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
I agree this is the best BEGINNING trick in magic - or at least one of the better ones. I used pitch magic in a toy store as a kid and I always referred to the brass cap as an old school bottle cap. Any other pitchers of beginners tricks have a better way to refer to this never seen on Earth object?
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 16:21, msmaster wrote:
I agree this is the best BEGINNING trick in magic - or at least one of the better ones. I used pitch magic in a toy store as a kid and I always referred to the brass cap as an old school bottle cap. Any other pitchers of beginners tricks have a better way to refer to this never seen on Earth object?

Magician: It's a European Coin cover. Know why it's called that?

Spectator: No.

Magi: Because it was made in Europe and and covers coins.

Spec: Ok...

Magi: Know what they call it in Europe?

Spec: No.

Magi: A coin cover.

This gets a laugh almost every time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Nickles to Dimes question: avoiding inspection. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL