The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - Enigma 2009 tour (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
930 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
I hate all of you....Smile
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Don't hate me I am a good guy Smile
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
AnDraíodóir
View Profile
New user
Ireland
89 Posts

Profile of AnDraíodóir
Flew over from Ireland to see the show last night. Now, Derren is the master when it comes to showmanship but I must say, somethings were slightly clumsy/suspect last night. Honestly, I wasn't as blown away as some of his previous shows, which always had a nice flow to them. And the finale is great, but, if wasn't for the actual final finale, I got the feeling that the audience was more confused than amazed. To be honest it appeared to be convulated just to throw you off the method, which if I'm correct, is relatively straightforward and simple.

Now don't hate me, I'm a huge fan of Derren, and admire all of his work, but I just found that this show just wasn't Derren and that's just my honest and personal opinion. I do, however, recommend anyone to go see him perform.

Phil
Philip Ryan

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know" -Socrates
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I caught the show last night and really enjoyed seeing it - definitely worth watching! Compared with the previous live shows it certainly has a different feel and perhaps more variety. The routines in the first half are all powerful and some of them very evocative of sentimental memories for the participants. The finale builds brilliantly as we have come to expect from a Derren Brown show. We can all learn a great deal from his top-drawer performances!

To those fortunate enough to have seen/be seeing it soon - enjoy! And if you're not going, please don't hate me Smile
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Saw the show last Friday and thought it was excellent. Derren was as usual on top form and showed why he is one of the greatest showman our genre has produced for many a year.

I had the great fortune of catching a frisbee and joining Derren throughout the spirit cabinet routine and experiencing the oddities within which was a highlight for me; moreso that the spirits guessed my daughters name !? Smile

The end piece was utter brilliance, although, for me, it did expose a flaw in an effect which ran throughout the first half, which urked me a little.

9/10 as "Something wicked.." will never be equalled IMHO

Regards

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I'm going to see the show tomorrow and hopefully again on saturday. Yippiii.
Anything else worthwile in London? (related to magic/mentalism) I will be there from thursday till sunday.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I genuinely believe that his first show is without a doubt the best show he has ever done!

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that he always closes the show with a David Berglas style routine! (Obviously making it very much his own!)

Very best wishes,
Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi Bart,

I am going tomorrow too with a mentalist/hypnotist from Holland. We plan to meet outside the theatre pre show and go for a drink nearby if you fancy it.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Anthony, I PM'd you.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 08:15, Colin wrote:
I genuinely believe that his first show is without a doubt the best show he has ever done!

Agreed, gave me goose bumps.
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
(insert generic, star-crossed fanboy comment)

wish I could catch him in the states....
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Stop rubbing it in!

I cant go this year so I have to wait all these months unti he tours again next year!

Oh well, I have had a one on one meeting with him so neeeeeeeeer!!!

(actually I said 2 things to him once but let me dream!!!)

Peace & Love

Matt
adrien
View Profile
New user
Paris
32 Posts

Profile of adrien
Great showmanship from derren ! This is the first time I see him and I am delighted.
However I concur that it had a strange feel compared to the other shows.

The first part is a succession of good effects that are rather magicky. But the second part is really better with an hypnotic take on the spirit cabinet and a finale which is a fantastic variation on a berglas signature piece.

All in all good show but I had the feeling that it was not traditional derren. His invisible compromise theory is not respected. I attended the show with friends who afterwards guessed pretty much correctly the method behind all the tricks of the first part, including the al Koran hommage...
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
I really loved the show. I wish I could say more about it... but I am not supposed to.
5 stars!!!

Bests,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Just wanted to add my comments about one of the most amazing evenings I have ever spent - last night watching Derren's show Enigma in London. I'm a huge fan of Derren and have seen all the previous live shows, but must say Enigma is the best yet. Totally amazing , baffling and (as has been stated previously) the second half and especially the ending is just BRILLIANT. Also Derren just gets better and better - being totally at ease on stage, VERY funny at times, and totally in control even (as happened last night) someone didn't seem to be able to follow simple instructions and nearly messed up a complete routine.

I felt very proud and quite emotional taking part in the standing ovation at the end for Derren - I can only imagine the hard work and energy required to stage a show like this.

If you have'nt seen the show - you MUST try and get a ticket. A fantastic, amazing, and totally baffling evening. I loved every second.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
I was lucky enough to see Enigma this week and loved it. Absolutely brilliant, perfectly scripted and executed. The 'not hypnosis just somnambulism' segment was awesome. Hilarious too.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I saw Enigma in Salford in May and although I loved the show in general there was one thing that really disappointed me. Its something that I know is a matter of my own personal taste and not anything to do with DB being in anyway at fault or anything less than brilliant but it nonetheless left me feeling deflated at the end. A shame really. And of course I can't mention what it was because I wouldn't want to spoil anything. In fact I'm not sure why I mentioned it. Forget I said anything.

s
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I'm so upset at my luck. I was in Europe on a study abroad trip, and the flight home to the States was the day of Enigma show's first night in London. I was in London the previous weekend--just missed it! I nearly had a heart attack when I walked past the big poster at the Adelphi. I want to see him live so badly!
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I was at the Adelphi on the same night as Anthony and I had to see it again, so I did the day after. I was lucky to get some tickets from people who cancelled. And maybe I even more enjoyed watching the show a second time with a bit of a harder audience. Apparently the show is sold out almost every night. If you have the chance, go and see the show. As performers we all can learn from seeing a master at work. But maybe more importantly this is something I believe anyone would enjoy. Enigma is pure fun. Who cares about the methods?

Actually I did and it was a bit distracting. Smile There are times I wish I didn't know what I know, and seeing Enigma was one of those times.

My girlfriend and I left the theatre singing. Those who have been there will know why.
If you should read this (and I know you just might), Derren thank you for 2,5 wonderful evenings.
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I'm still singing !!!
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - Enigma 2009 tour (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL