The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silk to egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20499 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Taylor,

Is your problem really one of managing body angles? Why are you changing hands after the trick has started?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16901 Posts

Profile of joseph
Mark Wilson & Nani do a great version..I think I still have it on vhs.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Lantiere
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Lantiere
Is it just me or do others also dislike the way silk to egg trick?

I am dead set against telling people that the silk goes inside a fake egg and that we "palm" objects.

Ok, I know the sucker ending is that it turns out to be a real egg that's broken into a glass, but by that time, the damage is already done.

We've already planted in their minds that we use "fake objects" and we teach them how to "Palm" items.

The end does not, in my opinion, justify the means!

I think that is just wrong, and against the magician's code not to reveal secrets - in this case concealing items in fake objects and revealing a method of sleight of hand.

And if I'm not mistaken, some also expose the principle of misdirection (using a coin from the pocket to wave over the egg).

Comments?

Thanks,

Joe Lantiere
themagicman84
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of themagicman84
I personally use Lance Burton's handling...I have used this method for many performances and have gotten away with it every time...It really gets the ewws and awws from the crowd...have yet to be caught! You can check it out on youtube.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2009-06-07 17:14, Whit Haydn wrote:
My routine is the "Rice's Sucker Silk To Egg" from the volume Bob Sanders recommended. I would listen to anything Bob has to say on the effect.

It can be seen here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5135678836890976103

dear mr. Haydn. I thank and compliment you for this movie. Entertainment in magic rarely seen these days. Thanks for making my day!
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 12:29, Lantiere wrote:

I am dead set against telling people that the silk goes inside a fake egg and that we "palm" objects.

Valid points. The though has crossed my mind also. A lot is being revealed. Especially disconcerting seeing the silk plucked from the very egg just put forth as a real egg. Really leaves no doubt how it was done.

I would be slightly more comfortable if nothing was revealed with the first egg, and a whole new fake egg w/ hole was brought out and shown as the magician explains and demonstrates in the same way "how it was done" but with another egg and silk. At least then it would leave much more doubt in the audience's mind if what was revealed was even how the trick was originally done.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 8:05pm
WT,

Another general principle to keep in mind is that a larger motion can help to draw attention away from a smaller motion. Notice in some of the videos the body is turned and the arms are swung around at key times.
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
My advice, probably stated somewhere else, is to make sure the audience sees you crack the real egg open. Don't rush that part, instead milk it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20499 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If the real egg is room temperature, it will look better and crack with better control.

The cloth egg dropper I use now can also be used for a deck of cards.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
872 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I just started performing Silk to Egg and one problem I have is the Avery Stickers coming off in my pocket. It's not the end of the world and if it happens I just crack the egg and it still gets a good response.
There was a post I saw here where some suggestions were made for an "Alternate Hole". I can't seem to find it.
Today I will experiment with double stick tape and maybe red Duct Tape. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Instead of a sticker, I use a bit of crumpled tissue paper the same color as the silk which I fasten to the egg with rubber cement.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
For me it was usually the condensation that was causing the sticker to come off prematurely -- if you 'stick' on an egg that is already room temperature you will find it happens less -- if you already DO that -- well then, I am not much help and I will sit back down.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
872 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Thanks guys. I have had occasional problems even at room temp (you were still a help BigChuck.
Donal, I love the crumpled tissue paper idea. The thought never crossed my mind!.
That's what I love about this place.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 5:54pm
Hey Donal! Thanks again for the crumpled tissue paper idea. I just got back from doing a show and used your idea for Silk To Egg. Worked like a charm.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I use orange electrical tape. Sticks really well, even cold.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 17:54, jskalon wrote:
Hey Donal! Thanks again for the crumpled tissue paper idea. I just got back from doing a show and used your idea for Silk To Egg. Worked like a charm.

You're most welcome!
magicguy88
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
73 Posts

Profile of magicguy88
Any suggestions re: purchasing materials? Viking sells it's silk to egg for around $30...apparently very realistic. Any decent, inexpensive alternatives. What do you all recommend?

Ryan
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I have never understood the attempt to make the egg look realistic. I want it to look like a cheap plastic hollow prop by the time I "expose" the hole. If anything, I look for real eggs that look sort of fake. The magic is that a fake plastic prop suddenly becomes a real egg and cracking. When you peel the hole off the egg, it should still look like a fake egg.

The longer people think you're holding a fake plastic prop, the stronger the magic, in my opinion.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20499 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You must not work very close to your audience or on television. With poor cheap fakes, the moment you open your hand with a real egg you have lost control of the timing in your act. The audience knows immediately that there has been a switch from a poor plastic fake to a real egg. They aren't the ones being fooled. They discover it long before the magician. Some will tune out at that point.

With the zoom lens in television, it all becomes too close for comfort (and surprise). When you show the "egg" (very obviously a poor unconvincing fake) for the first time the audience lowers the expectations of the show even before the concealed silk is exposed.

Never sacrifice momentum for lack of better props. It's too expensive!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 13:27, marty.sasaki wrote:
No one in the audience noticed, or if they did, they were extremely polite (unlikely)".

I think it is very likely that more people were being polite rather than being fooled. Not that an audience should not be polite but I think this is more of a problem than most Magician's and Entertainer's in general want to admit.
I have watched in horror as someone was doing a less than good performance and after a polite applause have heard people ridicule the performance (the very one's who applauded).
It is very difficult to get an honest appraisal from other's, especially Family and Friends. I know this from my own personal experience. Loved one's do not want to "hurt your feelings" and strangers want to be "polite" neither camp is of much help to the performer.
Just my personal take on this subject.
The recommendations you received in the above posts is good advice.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20499 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Iven,

I'll agree with you. Audiences are essentially polite and even sympathetic. They are there to be entertained and not to expose like children would do. They are forgiving but do not forget.

If they spot "fake", they remember it.

Why not?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 12:29, Lantiere wrote:
Is it just me or do others also dislike the way silk to egg trick?

(...)

We've already planted in their minds that we use "fake objects" and we teach them how to "Palm" items.

The end does not, in my opinion, justify the means!

I think that is just wrong, and against the magician's code not to reveal secrets - in this case concealing items in fake objects and revealing a method of sleight of hand.

And if I'm not mistaken, some also expose the principle of misdirection (using a coin from the pocket to wave over the egg).

Comments?

Thanks,

Joe Lantiere

I totally agree. I love this routine and I perform it! the thing is I like to present my illusions as mysteries. I posted recently in another (similar) topic my routine. It's basically the same effect, except for some changes.

The silk turns into egg with aid of a magic wand.
I explain that no ones believes anymore in magic wands, and that there are tricks, mysteries and suggestions. I tell that "this" is a trick (I show the hole) that could fool people... Then I talk a little bit more about magic in the past and about what underlines the concept of mystery and what a magic wand means in our century. And in between taking in and out the wand for explaining purposes I do the sw**h. (I do not explain procedures). I conclude: "Tricks are things from the past, and as I said before, I do not offer tricks, I offer mysteries" (take the tissue paper out and break the egg).

I think this is a great thing to make our magic real, since lay people have access to youtube, rapidshare, etc. and they know that real magic does not exist, it's a good way to introduce laymen to what is all about the art of magic.

"You can never win their intellect, but you can win their emotions" Darwin Ortiz

Is the patter and presentation that leads the public were you want them to be. Maybe you're not 'filosofical' as I am, but I think you can work out a presentation without talking about palming, misdirection and/or methods to fool.

Dante D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silk to egg (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL