The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need Help Finding The Right Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Kyle, what is your opinion? Do you recommend it is worth switching the Chair Suspension for the ZANEY BLANEY LADDER LEVITATION?

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 6:31pm
Kyle, my bad. I will be more specific.

Which one do you think is more mystifying?:

A. Bill Smith Chair Suspension
B. Rotation Of A Floating Human Effect
C. Zaney Blaney Ladder Levitation

Which one is more portable?:

Which one(s) is/are ok to perform in a client's basement?:

Which one is more durable?:

Do not get me wrong, Kyle. I am not giving you these questions because you have more post that me. It is because you are the suspension champion of the world. Thank you in advance my friend.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7395 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dynamike -

Another (less expensive) alternative to the Zaney Blaney "Ladder Levitation" is his "Suspension 3001" (available from Walter directly, or from Procraft Illusions by special authorized permission).

I was really surprised to read the comment on his website, that these illusions can be done in living rooms.

But then again, I once did a regular Super-X Suspension in a school classroom for a project at Bible College.* I would normally not do it in a classroom or a living room. Too many problems. In this case, I made sure that everything was "just right." (* There's a funny story that goes with this experience.)

- Donald

P.S. In my opinion, the Ladder Levitation and the Suspension 3001 are stronger illusions than the Walk-away Super-X (another illusion again) or the regular Super-X. Although I imagine that some magicians may try to compare them to one another.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, Donald, but I no longer do Super X anyway. I do mostly parlor shows in houses. Years a go when I first purchased Super X, I felt uncomfortable performing it in a house because the visibility during entertainment and bringing it in. I gave up the Flying Carpet for the same reason.

What seems good about Ladder Levitation is the certain ladder does not have to be moved if it in at a bad angle. It will make it look similar to Chair Suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7395 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
He kindof says on the website that the audience needs to be no closer than 10 feet (plus there are angle challenges). Makes a "living room" use of that illusion very challenging -- maybe impossible.

I have not seen one in person, although I do know of someone who purchased a "Ladder Levitation". It's a serious investment, compared to a Chair Suspension.

I suppose you could remove one ladder only, but what would be the point? Just use a chair suspension if you know the limitations of your locations.

I'd recommend speaking with someone who knows (someone who actually owns one) whether this is something you can bring in and set up under the noses of your audience in close quarters. I suspect it isn't.

- Donald
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Can the chair suspension be performed close-up? I suspect it can if Kyle uses it regularly.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7395 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
(I'm not Kyle, but...)

Like Kyle and many others here, I've performed the chair suspension hundreds of times (possibly thousands), including many birthday parties. Is that what you mean by close-up?

Each illusion has it's strengths and weaknesses.

- Donald
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
I ordered the MAK and the description says it can be performed surrounded. Not sure what that means exactly. But if you've performed it for birthday parties, can I assume you're in closed quarters? Perhaps only a few feet away from your audience?

I think one description (not sure if it's the MAK) says that the chairs can be planted in the audience and no one will know there's anything strange about them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Surrounded" means people can be around you in a circle. No one will be able to see anything at a angle.

The audience must be back at least 5 feet. The illusion can be maneuvered to show any hidden parts. Inside an average room of a house is no problem.

There is nothing to worry about. You will be getting your money worth.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
In short the answer is yes. It can be performed very up close and also completely surrounded if need be. That is of course if one learnes how to perform it correctly.

I personally would NEVER plant the seats or chairs in the audience. bad idea there. although you could, you want to take care with your illusion and investment. Having folks sitting on the chairs and such can only cause problems down the road.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Kyle,

whilst researching your book did you come across any UK suppliers of a chair levitation? Tried a web-search and come up blank so far.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Kyle, or anyone,

Is there a chair suspension that will handle adults other than the European???

Thanks!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Bill Smith of Magic Ventures makes a beautiful one. It's also the most expensive.

If he still makes them, Sandy Rhoades used to make chair suspensions right from the Harbin Book. (I had one until last year.) It would hold an adult easily. I've since switched to the European Chair Suspension because it is smaller and lighter weight and will still hold an adult.

The European Chair Suspension is the least expensive chair suspension I know of that will still hold an adult.

Michael
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Thanks for the info Michael!

What version do you personally use or recommend if not the Smith model?

I'd love to hear Kyle's input on this as well!

Thanks!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I've settled on the European Chair Suspension. I tried the Jim Sommers version when it first came out and decided I wasn't interested in a chair suspension that would only hold a child. It can be done very well with children, especially if you follow Kyle Peron's suggestions from his manual.

I wanted one that would hold an adult or teen and can still be used for children. I bought the one Sandy Rhoades made and used it quite effectively for several years. The only problem was the weight. Both chairs are metal and either can be used with the board so they are both heavy. The board was long and folded in half for easy transport. I built a carpet-covered wooden case for it so it was great for larger shows but definitely not practical for a smaller show.

I sold the Rhoades version last year. Almost immediately, I felt like I had made a mistake. I wasn't using the Rhoades version much because I don't do many large shows any more but I still wanted to be able to use something to make a person "float" when appropriate.

I started researching the European Chair Suspension and ran into a great deal on eBay for a slightly used one. I'm very satisfied with it. It's in between the Sommers/Mak versions and the Rhoades version. It's solid enough for an adult yet compact and light enough to take to a smaller show.

All that said, the European Chair Suspension could have been made a little better. It's finished nicely but there are some minor things that would have improved it. For instance, one of the chairs has a pair of bolts sticking out of it that are chipping the seat when folded. (The chairs are wooden.) The bolts aren't really noticeable and won't scratch a person sitting in the chair, it's just nicking up the chair itself. That was easily avoided by using a shorter bolt or cutting it down. On the other hand, for the money, it's very nice. (Especially if you can find a good deal on one. I got mine for $650 including shipping.)

One final point. Two of my female assistants have been put on both of the chair suspensions and both said they were more comfortable on the European Chair Suspension.

Michael
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Michael,

Now THAT is the kind of response and information I wish I'd get from every inquiry I've posted on the Café`. I can make a confident/educated decision from you sharing that experience....and that's priceless!

Congrats on your deal too.......that is a good one!

Thanks so much!

Christian
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the kind words about my ebook on the chair suspension illusion. It is very much appreciated.Let me try and give some additional insite as well as my own personal opinions on the subject. My pleasure to doso.

Christian: There really is only one other model that can hold an adult that is a chair suspension variety. Bill Smith makes one that is perfect for adults and geared for an adult helper. However, it is a bit pricey. It is very well builtand Bill does an amazing job with it. So your choices really are the European model or the Bill Smith model if you want to use adults.

If you ask my opinion, I would get the Bill Smith model if I planned on using adults a lot. It is just built for that in mind.

Now the type I use the most is the Sommer'smodel. However, keep in mind that I do family style shows and ONLY use a child hlperon the chair suspension and the routine I do with it. It works for my needs and I have had it for years. It serves my purpose very well.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of ANY help or assistance. My pleasure to do so.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Kyle,

I just got a chance to review the book. Good stuff! I'm glad I bought it no matter which way I go! God speed to you!

Christian
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks so much Christian. It is very much appreciated. I am so glad you enjoyed the book and hope you got a lot of good information from it. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need Help Finding The Right Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL